Recently I've noticed alot of different dogd breeds sporting the merle colour up near us from dashounds French bulldogs and various others they seem to be the fashionable thing at the minute.i always used to have collie/grey and most of them blue merle as if 1 was in litter id pick that just as soft spot for them(as the first dog I bought with my own money was a blue merle).but my mate was after a working spaniel pup and he's off to look at a litter that are merle colour.so just wondering where the merle colour comes from as I thought various collie breeds and Great Danes sported the merle gene but didn't know if these other breeds did or not or been crossed with something that did but then how many times would it have to be bred back to be classed as a pure if that makes any sense at all 

Cheers 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ive seen that merle spaniel 'franko' whored right cross facebook if thats the sire your mates going to see the pups from. Id stay away personally, nothing but a showboat and never seen a days work imo

Sounds familiar. Wasn't there someone back in the 90s who said he was going to mate merle border collies to his beardies to see how many generations it would take for them to be classified as pur

What was so special about the sausage dog that it sold for 2k.Its only whats known as dapple,Not really uncommon.

3 hours ago, Councilestatekid said:

Recently I've noticed alot of different dogd breeds sporting the merle colour up near us from dashounds French bulldogs and various others they seem to be the fashionable thing at the minute.i always used to have collie/grey and most of them blue merle as if 1 was in litter id pick that just as soft spot for them(as the first dog I bought with my own money was a blue merle).but my mate was after a working spaniel pup and he's off to look at a litter that are merle colour.so just wondering where the merle colour comes from as I thought various collie breeds and Great Danes sported the merle gene but didn't know if these other breeds did or not or been crossed with something that did but then how many times would it have to be bred back to be classed as a pure if that makes any sense at all 

Cheers 

ive seen that merle spaniel 'franko' whored right cross facebook if thats the sire your mates going to see the pups from. Id stay away personally, nothing but a showboat and never seen a days work imo

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Samrog said:

I have seen that. Wonder how many litters it’s sired. Not very old either. 

8 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

I have seen that. Wonder how many litters it’s sired. Not very old either. 

Seems like it’s constantly bred from. I read that some the cocker pages have stopped the lad posting the dog for stud

4 minutes ago, Samrog said:

Seems like it’s constantly bred from. I read that some the cocker pages have stopped the lad posting the dog for stud

So they should. He says it’s paperworked but didn’t realise Merle was a recognised Colour 

• Like 1

To be honest I don't know much about pups just he was going to look at some and they were merle I asked the question if was pure spaniel and he said yes but said I was sure the merle wasn't a spaniel colour so googled it and it isn't so that's how I came to my question how are they now classed as pure spaniels or dashounds French bulldogs etc etc when they must of been crossed with a merle carrying breed and how long it take to breed back to pure spaniel when I looked said the merle spaniels dna is now spaniel 

4 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

So they should. He says it’s paperworked but didn’t realise Merle was a recognised Colour 

It isn't and says the merle isn't liked by working spaniel people but says now the merle spaniels dna just comes back as spaniel so classed as a spaniel suppose like the silver labs and things that was crossed with the wierharmer(how ever its spelt)

1 hour ago, Councilestatekid said:

It isn't and says the merle isn't liked by working spaniel people but says now the merle spaniels dna just comes back as spaniel so classed as a spaniel suppose like the silver labs and things that was crossed with the wierharmer(how ever its spelt)

It’s a mongrel spaniel he bought 

• Like 1

Sounds familiar.

Wasn't there someone back in the 90s who said he was going to mate merle border collies to his beardies to see how many generations it would take for them to be classified as pure beardie. And then, lo and behold! a year or so later he's miraculously discovered merle beardies in some hidden backwater. Now everybody is saying that beardies have always been merles and it's only because the original show ones didn't carry the gene. Before long the whole thing becomes so complicated that everyone simply accepts it. 

Now who was that??

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
32 minutes ago, Neal said:

Sounds familiar.

Wasn't there someone back in the 90s who said he was going to mate merle border collies to his beardies to see how many generations it would take for them to be classified as pure beardie. And then, lo and behold! a year or so later he's miraculously discovered merle beardies in some hidden backwater. Now everybody is saying that beardies have always been merles and it's only because the original show ones didn't carry the gene. Before long the whole thing becomes so complicated that everyone simply accepts it. 

Now who was that??

That's my question really how many generations would it take as like I say I'm seeing the merle in alsorts of breeds and like the merle sausage dogs what's been crossed with them to get it as I should imagine most breeds to a sausage dog isn't going to come out like a sausage dog so must take some breeding and litter waste to get there but like a spaniel collie isn't a bad cross but then wouldn't class a merle spaniel as ever being a pure either or anything else that's got the merle gene that isn't ment to have 

1 hour ago, peterhunter86 said:

I've seen some of these merle bulldogs been born with long hair and going for ten grand

I take it the long hair is a throw back to whatever it was crossed with for the merle gene but 10grand wow the beddy whippet craze hit a few years ago round us everyother dog you went past was a beddy whippet now it's a merle something

• Like 1
1 hour ago, peterhunter86 said:

I've seen some of these merle bulldogs been born with long hair and going for ten grand

My 2  brothers french bulldogs carry the fluffy gene and  chocolate,blue merle, platinum etc..made  70 thousand from the last litter? merle frenchies go for 14 k plus round by me .. everyone got them or the XL bullies...I was offered a Merle sausage dog bitch for 2k few weeks back...sold for 6 k 2 days later. ..they are delivering dogs up and down the UK?

7 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

My 2  brothers french bulldogs carry the fluffy gene and  chocolate,blue merle, platinum etc..made  70 thousand from the last litter? merle frenchies go for 14 k plus round by me .. everyone got them or the XL bullies...I was offered a Merle sausage dog bitch for 2k few weeks back...sold for 6 k 2 days later. ..they are delivering dogs up and down the UK?

What was so special about the sausage dog that it sold for 2k.Its only whats known as dapple,Not really uncommon.

• Like 2