Best ferreting dog (Non Lurcher)

seen all sorts over the years...but spaniels and terriers have usually been the best....

this old border terrorist i have now has been worth her weight in gold.....odd thing is....up on the hills i hardley ever take her as apart from hunting sedge its not really her thing up there...on the open warrens....but down here in the midlands on the hedges and blackberry busshes she is mustard....

also on paying jobs.....the places rabbits get....those thick tight bushes you get on business park lawns...under sheds...ducting...the list is long but her nose is spot on...and them borders are very laid back and biddable .....also she wont go to ground in any sets etc  

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I’d love another lakie like my ole red bitch,this Plummer is good an kelpie cross is real good, but that ole lakie I had was bomb proof, she even knew what game we was after, if I lifted ferret box she would ignore roe when doing the wee Forrest block, ignore birds an everythjng yet take her out on a mooch or with just a spade an she knew exactly what was going on, most dogs will earn there keep but some are just naturals, I often say an watched her an wondered what would be if she had longer legs ??

yeh thankfully i got a pup 6 month old pup out of her to carry on as shes 9 now.....just got to get her trained up and steady 

2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

None of her pups ever lived upto her, combo of things I think, but they never got the same amount a time out as her as I was flat out at jt back then, an so was she haha one her pups to a collie ended up a real useful ferreting dog, but got out only a few times a season as was used as a stalking dog am picking up, but could just see it in it when he was out with ferrets. I can remember hearing about woodga’s terrier aswell, bet that wee thing saw more rabbits than all of us combined ?

i went out with woodga and that terrier of his a few times...was a good little dog.....blaze i think it it was called 

• Like 2

My old border dog could find a rabbit anywhere and would just creep up to the Warren and just freeze if there was one in. The two I have now have never even chased a rabbit and are definitely too full on for ferreting if we had rabbits around. 

Screenshot_20170101-171833.jpg

Screenshot_20170101-171911.jpg

Edited by gnipper
  • Like 3
On 16/05/2022 at 20:03, TOMO said:

i went out with woodga and that terrier of his a few times...was a good little dog.....blaze i think it it was called 

Yep did loads of ferretting with Blaze ...great rabbitting terrier. My best ferretting dog was my old Patterdale bitch ....mark a rabbit anywhere. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

This terrier was a more than a competent ferreting dog. Not a job he was bred or really trained for but just took to everything. Particularly useful in places where rabbits were thin on the ground, or rather the easy ones had long since been hunted out. If you can't find them you cant catch them. Would dearly loved to have put him over a whippet but never got around to it. Carried on grafting until the age of 12, above ground anyway, and even then wasn't showing signs of slowing down much until the big C got him. A very happy 12 years.

TOD2.jpg

TOD 1.jpg

• Like 16
On 16/05/2022 at 17:11, W. Katchum said:

I’d love another lakie like my ole red bitch,this Plummer is good an kelpie cross is real good, but that ole lakie I had was bomb proof, she even knew what game we was after, if I lifted ferret box she would ignore roe when doing the wee Forrest block, ignore birds an everythjng yet take her out on a mooch or with just a spade an she knew exactly what was going on, most dogs will earn there keep but some are just naturals, I often say an watched her an wondered what would be if she had longer legs ??

In regard to a dog knowing what you're after, what the intended quarry is in a particular place on a particular day, couldn't agree more... but try and tell that to the young folk today, and they won't believe you ? 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...