2 hours ago, gnipper said:

There are people breeding native sized mutations now but I would imagine its from breeding to sibo birds and keeping the smallest back.

Your right nipper all mutation birds dna will go back to the original native bird what ever Species of mutation , and the native pied for one will somewhere down the line come from a Mule type bird Species that can perform an be fertile. But a don't get where he thinks they just look like a big canary. A wish they were cheap like canaries lol 

• Like 1

There are people breeding native sized mutations now but I would imagine its from breeding to sibo birds and keeping the smallest back.

A lot do this with the pied goldfinches nipper. They'll put a native pied cock over a sibo hen then keep the young back an breed them the year after to another native pied bird an so on. Then they'll get some nice mutation pieds but more like the natives size.. Am not into smaller birds a like the big sibo pieds specially the classic looking..

Screenshot_20220515-073052_WhatsApp~2.jpg

Screenshot_20220515-073126_WhatsApp~2.jpg

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, Bangersanmash said:

Your right nipper all mutation birds dna will go back to the original native bird what ever Species of mutation , and the native pied for one will somewhere down the line come from a Mule type bird Species that can perform an be fertile. But a don't get where he thinks they just look like a big canary. A wish they were cheap like canaries lol 

Pieds crop up naturally, breeding peas, chevs and white nailed birds together can/will produce pied birds. I'd say satinettes and yellows, albinos etc are a lot harder to come across and I'm not sure how they managed it with sibos either. I prefer the smaller nicer sounding natives myself. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Bangersanmash said:

Mule type bird Species that can perform an be fertile. But a don't get where he thinks they just look like a big canary. A wish they were cheap like canaries lol 

What other mules besids siskin mules ( would they be hybreds ?) have been bred from.

Edited by mush

Pieds crop up naturally, breeding peas, chevs and white nailed birds together can/will produce pied birds. I'd say satinettes and yellows, albinos etc are a lot harder to come across and I'm not sure how they managed it with sibos either. I prefer the smaller nicer sounding natives myself. 

Same here.

Same with the mules i like the smaller neater ones and not bred off big Norwich types.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mush said:

Same here.

Same with the mules i like the smaller neater ones and not bred off big Norwich types.

You want to be using Irish fancys or razza canaries if you want the smaller bird ie to Mule. I believe you can't beat the Spanish timbrado for muling varigated. I used to bred goldfinch mules didn't do too bad with them.  But then a went onto breeding sibo goldfinches an for past 6 seasons managed to get my own eumo lines going now. I've just bred some eumo pastel pieds. Classic pieds to my eumo birds. So now it will be like a box of chocolates when a bred the yougens next season. Many mutation colours will come out of the pieds

Edited by Bangersanmash