Dental Therapist.

Had my first dental check up since  Covid. My dentist said you need a clean and scrape and a couple of fillings.

I went to the receptionist's desk where I thought I would be given two separate appointments. One with the dental hygenist/ therapist and one with the dentist for the fillings. However I was told the therapist will do all the work. A  bit confused (no change there then) I googled "dental therapist" and they are a kind of dentist's labourer....they do routine fillings and crowns etc. They need five GCSEs  grades 3 to 4 to enter a training course.

Im not very confident about this arrangement. My dentist asked  me a few years back if I wanted to go private or continue as an NHS patient. I chose the latter. 

So are dental therapists for the NHS paupers and proper dentists for private patients?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Me and the wife use the train ticket smile.....Cheap as chips...?  

There was a big thing about 'Turkey teeth' in the UK media last week. They file your real teeth down and stick veneers on. But some people are left with horrific problems afterwards. They must be f***

They look much better mate, what an improvement.... you must be well chuffed

Posted Images

I now go private, the difference is unbelievable. My teeth wouldn't be full of fillings and I wouldn't have had the ones pulled out if I'd always been private. For regular routine stuff the price isn't that bad. 

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Had my first dental check up since  Covid. My dentist said you need a clean and scrape and a couple of fillings.

I went to the receptionist's desk where I thought I would be given two separate appointments. One with the dental hygenist/ therapist and one with the dentist for the fillings. However I was told the therapist will do all the work. A  bit confused (no change there then) I googled "dental therapist" and they are a kind of dentist's labourer....they do routine fillings and crowns etc. They need five GCSEs  grades 3 to 4 to enter a training course.

Im not very confident about this arrangement. My dentist asked  me a few years back if I wanted to go private or continue as an NHS patient. I chose the latter. 

So are dental therapists for the NHS paupers and proper dentists for private patients?

Dentists (private) earn decent cash, it cost me £200 just for a 30 minute consultation with an implantologist to see if my gum was suitable for an implant, if I was doing it nowadays I would just fly to Turkey, I have seen a few people who have been for dental work and it was superb. 

• Like 2
11 minutes ago, Langford said:

They did a grand job on my little one after he knocked one of his teeth up.

7ac413a0c55406b460c7bc9ac3ff3da5.jpg

And he is only three months old, take the hat off and he probably has a hair transplant also ?

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, mackem said:

Dentists (private) earn decent cash, it cost me £200 just for a 30 minute consultation with an implantologist to see if my gum was suitable for an implant, if I was doing it nowadays I would just fly to Turkey, I have seen a few people who have been for dental work and it was superb. 

I would have that done in a heartbeat if i dropped on a few quid like winning the lottery always wondered what the price would be for those implants.

8 minutes ago, tatsblisters said:

I would have that done in a heartbeat if i dropped on a few quid like winning the lottery always wondered what the price would be for those implants.

Single implant in the UK was around 2k,turkish equivalent is around £400?i know a bloke and his missus went to Turkey, had full Veneers prior to getting married, they looked like they had just stepped off a Hollywood set, a few weeks before the wedding he went to prison for 12 years, she didn't wait for him but she is still smiling, I don't think he is though. 

• Haha 4
3 minutes ago, mackem said:

Single implant in the UK was around 2k,turkish equivalent is around £400?i know a bloke and his missus went to Turkey, had full Veneers prior to getting married, they looked like they had just stepped off a Hollywood set, a few weeks before the wedding he went to prison for 12 years, she didn't wait for him but she is still smiling, I don't think he is though. 

I know a couple of people who have been to Turkey to have their teeth done and they both have had a great experience, my only issue is I now have to wear sunglasses just to talk to them ? their teeth are a very unnatural whiter than white. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, kanny said:

I know a couple of people who have been to Turkey to have their teeth done and they both have had a great experience, my only issue is I now have to wear sunglasses just to talk to them ? their teeth are a very unnatural whiter than white. 

I know one who chose the whitest shade possible, he is pasty skinned, not the best look, but his smile is perfect, it just looks unnatural on him due to the shade, they gave him a full makeover in a week, the hotel was full of dental/hair transplant/plastic surgery patients. 

17 minutes ago, kanny said:

Don't want to look like that Rylan geezer off the telly. Lol 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
23 minutes ago, kanny said:

Her uncle did the same, went to Turkey toothless and came back able to blind people with his nashers ?

• Haha 2

the wifes sister went to turkey a few month back to have her teeth done. she did not go the brilliant white that some people get and i must say they have done a great job. price was really good too. 

she had her tits done some time ago and they the best 3 grand ive ever seen ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
1 hour ago, samboy said:

I won't even eat a kebab from Turkey let alone let them touch my teeth ?

The sight of that meat turning on a spit turns my stomach. They would have to pay me to eat a kebab,not the other way round.

• Like 3