New Patterdale pup

3 minutes ago, fireman said:

The writings of the law state you need a letter of permission from a rep of the land saying you have permission to do vermin control, your vet was wrong to say that and loads of folk think you need a gun licence when you don't.The law don't say  you need a gun licence any where  or the pup has to be chipped to the licence holder, your vet is full of shit mate and i'd find a new one before he fills your head with more bollocks...

I don't have the vet now he moved abroad a shame he gone as he would treat working dogs for anything , hard to find a good vet like that , I did ring about an other vets was a no to docking city vets are not so keen on working dogs mate ?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've docked plenty of terriers for lads,...I like a long 3/4 tail on a tyke.... Not up to date on the current legislation, but I cannot see a problem with docking, 2 day old Terriers,...Its quick

Best way to dock a terriers tail is biting  between your front teeth at 3 days old??

I used to work Silky terriers as a kid and bred a few. I docked the tails with a sharp knife on a board, pulling the skin back before cutting, also snipped dew claws then just put them back with the m

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, tank34 said:

I don't have the vet now he moved abroad a shame he gone as he would treat working dogs for anything , hard to find a good vet like that , I did ring about an other vets was a no to docking city vets are not so keen on working dogs mate ?

Didn't mean to sound so rude :icon_redface: but he knew nothing about the law on docking Tank, the wording is quite simple and explains just what you need for a vet to do it and the law also states you have six months in which to chip the pup after docking which means the owners name could change from docking to chipping. :victory:..I found my vet through a greyhound racer when i had a lame lurcher a few years back and didn't want to take her to the town vets as such, i just knocked her door and asked who her vet was  and found the best vet i have ever met :good:...

• Like 2
4 hours ago, fireman said:

Well he shouldn't have and it's not a gun licence you need it's a letter of permission from a land rep giving you permission to carry out vermin control..

Or a gun licence ..

Screenshot_20220515-105434.jpg.33b085206a30d00785f27af4926f68fa.jpg

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, fireman said:

Didn't mean to sound so rude :icon_redface: but he knew nothing about the law on docking Tank, the wording is quite simple and explains just what you need for a vet to do it and the law also states you have six months in which to chip the pup after docking which means the owners name could change from docking to chipping. :victory:..I found my vet through a greyhound racer when i had a lame lurcher a few years back and didn't want to take her to the town vets as such, i just knocked her door and asked who her vet was  and found the best vet i have ever met :good:...

I never really looked into laws on docking just asked vet it's what he said gun licence an dog chipped in name of licence holder he said it's to cover his back , he was just a back street vet and was not to expensive think chipping and dock was about £80 , asked me to mark dogs tail we're want dock left dog picked her up cupple of hours later job done mate ?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Bangersanmash said:

A can't believe that we're the only country that aren't allowed to do our own bonkers lol. I've seen on clips what's vets do to the pups injections first then on the gas , bloody barbaric all that for taking a 2 to 3 day old pups tail off. A watched a woman use this method tieing them off. Just stopping the blood flow an you couldn't even tell they'd been done to be fair. They just dropped off no after care needed like there is with stitches. It's just like you see farmers do lambs it's that way. An she was doing the dewl claws too. Many years ago we used to use the moon shape scissors top quality sharpe ones ment to be for fingernails. Then abit of cut an heal on for a few days the job looked good. Some of these vets butcher them go way over board with all equipment for such a little job an charge you dearly lol 

No injection , no gas , just done with surgical scissors and then a bit of iodine is how my spaniel was done vet even asked how short they were to be docked

1 hour ago, fireman said:

The writings of the law state you need a letter of permission from a rep of the land saying you have permission to do vermin control, your vet was wrong to say that and loads of folk think you need a gun licence when you don't.The law don't say  you need a gun licence any where  or the pup has to be chipped to the licence holder, your vet is full of shit mate and i'd find a new one before he fills your head with more bollocks...

This is true about the docking certificate.

I had my spaniels done with  letter from keeper 

saying I beat /pick up on his shoot …. Which I do.

ATB …. T

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, fireman said:

Screenshot_20220515-111254.jpg.b8cc3aac1cf8fe8ea69aebc4ba74480f.jpg

20 minutes ago, Chid said:

Or a gun licence ..

Screenshot_20220515-105434.jpg.33b085206a30d00785f27af4926f68fa.jpg

" OR " it's not  " REQUIRED", and like i say it says a agent,ie any one who has permission and it don't say anything what so ever about how much land,what sort of land or even if the land is used for shooting in any way. I don't have a gun licence and  my vet would dock any pup i took and be covered by the law in doing so...

Can you chid put up the attachment for the chipping bit on the docking law bit to see if the chipping laws contradict each other as the six month bit was brought in with the docking bill..

Edited by fireman
Just now, fireman said:

" OR " it's not  " REQUIRED", and like i say it says a agent,ie any one who has permission and it don't say anything what so ever about how much land,what sort of land or even if the land is used for shooting in any way. I don't have a gun licence and  my vet would dock any pup i took and be covered by the law in doing so...

I didn't say it was required , but most vets or people for that matter just use the fac/SGC for easiness

• Like 2
1 hour ago, fireman said:

Screenshot_20220515-111526.jpg.1a88ca0c4377ad1762603124062cc6e8.jpg

• Thanks 1
Just now, Chid said:

I didn't say it was required , but most vets or people for that matter just use the fac/SGC for easiness

Understand bud and i was just pointing out that folk don't need to own a sgc/fac to get a dog docked..

4 minutes ago, fireman said:

Can you chid put up the attachment for the chipping bit on the docking law bit to see if the chipping laws contradict each other as the six month bit was brought in with the docking bill..

Chipping law changed in 2016 all dogs should be chipped at 8 weeks old and the breeder should be the first registered keeper ..

• Like 1

I used to work Silky terriers as a kid and bred a few. I docked the tails with a sharp knife on a board, pulling the skin back before cutting, also snipped dew claws then just put them back with the mother, never had a problem. I must have been a savage little b*****d as I was only 13 to 15 when I did this, lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1