Homemade sliding float rubbers

Never one to waste anything ; when l inherited a bundle of (unused) catheters on my Dad's passing-away  a couple of years ago l immediately started thinking of alternative uses for them. 

Slicing one up for float rubbers  seemed a good idea 

A bonus is that  parallel  with the main hole that is the right size to accomodate a  float   , there runs a narrow channel that is used for inflation of a little bulb that holds the catheter in place when used for its legitimate purpose.  

Perfect for converting floats into sliders!   If need be the hole can be enlarged to take heavier20220511_221214.jpg.be760c4634e1d23ced4a746848f8982e.jpg lines with a hot pin or bait drill.

Edited by comanche
  • Like 4

if the walls are thick enough, I'd experiment with both. I'd say hot needle would be best. Or bait drill followed by hot needle to tidy up the hole.

The walls would have to be thick enough to try any of them.

1 hour ago, leegreen said:

if the walls are thick enough, I'd experiment with both. I'd say hot needle would be best. Or bait drill followed by hot needle to tidy up the hole.

The walls would have to be thick enough to try any of them.

I have  used a hot needle just as an experiment but with 5or 6lb bs line a slim float slides fine without any reaming ?

• Like 1

I take it that they were unused Kev? ?

I use conventional silicone float 'rubbers' of the appropriate size to secure two micro swivels to the floats, top and bottom. The line slides through the eyes readily and you can change the float and rubbers any time. 

• Like 1
On 15/05/2022 at 20:15, Nicepix said:

I take it that they were unused Kev? ?

I use conventional silicone float 'rubbers' of the appropriate size to secure two micro swivels to the floats, top and bottom. The line slides through the eyes readily and you can change the float and rubbers any time. 

Ha ,yes ,unused.