Beardies and Kelpies

Thanks shaaark. I think it's because I spent my early years with a garden full of working terriers that put me off.?

I did own one once (well 3/4 bedlington, fell, lakeland 1/4 whippet) and he had lots of character but I couldn't handle the terrier temperament. I can handle a dog saying, "No, because..." but not one that says, "No: just no!"? I know they're not all like that but I don't fancy risking it.?

Having said that, I've always liked Skycat's Cricket and all the other border x whippets I've seen.

• Like 1

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here we go. If this works there'll be two of her marking rabbits and one side view for a better idea of her build. She's difficult to photograph as she's one of those dogs which comes straight over as

that’s my half bred pup just under 12 months old 

The way I look at things,...the game has changed dramatically, these last few years, and will obviously change, even more so.. bearing in mind that I am an antique, and ancient in the extreme,...I can

Posted Images

To be honest, a little bit of me is thinking 'variety is the spice of life' and that, when Noggin goes, I should get something completely different so that I'd have a kelpie and something else. Problem is I've been thinking that off and on for several years but then, when it comes to getting the next dog, I always get cold feet and stick with what I know best. 

Not that there's anything wrong with that.?

So many people have suggested I get a gundog but I'm not sure I could be bothered with the whole 'working it on the local estate' thing. Then again, not working the kelpies on sheep has never stopped them from having a full working life.?

14 hours ago, dytkos said:

Depends on your age and fitness imo. My next dog maybe a busher.

Cheers, D.

I'm 53. The last disc in my spine fused after a fall, I have a fractured metatarsal head which means I've had to stop jogging every morning as it kills my left foot, a dead nerve has left me with no sensation on about a third of the area of the top of my right leg. Maybe I should give up now and get a handbag dog.?

1 hour ago, Neal said:

I'm 53. The last disc in my spine fused after a fall, I have a fractured metatarsal head which means I've had to stop jogging every morning as it kills my left foot, a dead nerve has left me with no sensation on about a third of the area of the top of my right leg. Maybe I should give up now and get a handbag dog.?

Lol you've a couple of 'maladies' similar to myself.  No too far off my age as well lol.

I've had to practically stop all of my hunting related activities.  Still have the odd night out with my son, when my 'conditions' allow, but few and far between.  Only twice last season, but it's nice getting out there.

Also got a new baby boy, nearly 15 months old now, so have had to get my priorities in order lol.  So, have put getting 'any' dog to the back of my mind for a while.  ?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Neal said:

Apart from that your fighting fit then 

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, shaaark said:

Lol you've a couple of 'maladies' similar to myself.  No too far off my age as well lol.

I've had to practically stop all of my hunting related activities.  Still have the odd night out with my son, when my 'conditions' allow, but few and far between.  Only twice last season, but it's nice getting out there.

Also got a new baby boy, nearly 15 months old now, so have had to get my priorities in order lol.  So, have put getting 'any' dog to the back of my mind for a while.  ?

It's time furg

8 minutes ago, Black neck said:

It's time furg

Nah, not yet blacky.  Got a few things going on yet, for a couple of years.  Then I might get a whippet, to take out mooching with the youngest, for a few years.  ? ?

Or, as terryd said last week, just a smallish rabbiting/mooching type of lurcher.  Aint looking for much else really.  ?

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, shaaark said:

Nah, not yet blacky.  Got a few things going on yet, for a couple of years.  Then I might get a whippet, to take out mooching with the youngest, for a few years.  ? ?

Fancy a whippet do ya mate

7 hours ago, shaaark said:

Not too far off 53 with a youngster ? you're not that decrepit ? 

Cheers, D.

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, dytkos said:

Not too far off 53 with a youngster ? you're not that decrepit ? 

Cheers, D.

I'm 57, BUT, the thing is, until we got him registered etc, I thought I was already 58!!  Then when we were looking through birth certificates etc, I was born in 1964, so I'm about two years younger than I thought!!  ? ?

• Haha 5