Beardies and Kelpies

18 minutes ago, neil b said:

she she has been an absolute dream to train and get started hunting, she picks things up very quickly, iv put a lot of time into her to be honest, the lads I hunt with have pups out of the litter they are making cracking animals, 0A6D8D67-47A6-412C-B947-D826F73A65AC.jpeg.a06360afd4146e33a0719712ccae6ef0.jpegthis is her litter brother, the dogs seem to have thrown racier than the bitches, like I said they are only just 12 months old, this season will be their first full season 

Well nice they are well done ? 

• Thanks 1

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here we go. If this works there'll be two of her marking rabbits and one side view for a better idea of her build. She's difficult to photograph as she's one of those dogs which comes straight over as

that’s my half bred pup just under 12 months old 

The way I look at things,...the game has changed dramatically, these last few years, and will obviously change, even more so.. bearing in mind that I am an antique, and ancient in the extreme,...I can

Posted Images

2 hours ago, neil b said:

she she has been an absolute dream to train and get started hunting, she picks things up very quickly, iv put a lot of time into her to be honest, the lads I hunt with have pups out of the litter they are making cracking animals, 0A6D8D67-47A6-412C-B947-D826F73A65AC.jpeg.a06360afd4146e33a0719712ccae6ef0.jpegthis is her litter brother, the dogs seem to have thrown racier than the bitches, like I said they are only just 12 months old, this season will be their first full season 

What a cracking dog like him alot 

• Thanks 1

Lovely animals,there's something about the Kelpie that I really like,I've had a Collie X or two but the kelpies are just addictive to me,...I bred from the working Kelpie I found and he happened to be the chocolate brown colouring ,but all the pups came red lol...I got a farm for next season so I have to up the work load next year...

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Allan P said:

My bitch Neal?

Yes, she looks like there's plenty of room for brains up there.

Edited to add: all that coat was fine when I lived in Coniston but now that I'm "daan saaf" I need something that can put up with the heat. ?

Maybe when I eventually move to Dartmoor I'll go back to some beardie blood.?

Edited by Neal
  • Like 1

One more question for neil b: is yours a straight first cross kelpie x greyhound or is it kelpie/greyhound x kelpie/greyhound?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm surprised by the colour. As I'm sure Jigsaw, OldPhil, etc will testify, for some reason most kelpie and heeler first crosses seem to be either brindle or an unusual reddish colour. Or at least most of the ones I've seen.

I'm not great at colour genetics but I'm sure I remember a whippet breeder once telling me that what we think of as being "red" is different (genetically) in some breeds. I'm sure I read somewhere that the red (or chocolate) in kelpies is a weakened version of black which is different to the red you get in something like a labrador or cocker. Does that make sense? I suppose that's why every litter of kelpie x labs I've seen are all black (even if the lab is yellow and the kelpie is red and tan).

Anyway, none of this matters one jot when it comes to working them, it's just that I'm curious and wondered why yours looks so good.??

Edited by Neal
2 hours ago, neil b said:

2 gen half x so kelpie x greyhound back to kelpie x greyhound, there was a mix of colours in the litter chocolate, blacks, sable, the sire is the same colour as mine the dam is black 

If she keep’s excelling at her job do you plan on breeding with her?

19 minutes ago, MagyarAgar said:

If she keep’s excelling at her job do you plan on breeding with her?

Absolutely, 3 of us kept bitches back so at some stage in the future some sort of breeding plan will be put into action 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Neal said:

One more question for neil b: is yours a straight first cross kelpie x greyhound or is it kelpie/greyhound x kelpie/greyhound?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm surprised by the colour. As I'm sure Jigsaw, OldPhil, etc will testify, for some reason most kelpie and heeler first crosses seem to be either brindle or an unusual reddish colour. Or at least most of the ones I've seen.

I'm not great at colour genetics but I'm sure I remember a whippet breeder once telling me that what we think of as being "red" is different (genetically) in some breeds. I'm sure I read somewhere that the red (or chocolate) in kelpies is a weakened version of black which is different to the red you get in something like a labrador or cocker. Does that make sense? I suppose that's why every litter of kelpie x labs I've seen are all black (even if the lab is yellow and the kelpie is red and tan).

Anyway, none of this matters one jot when it comes to working them, it's just that I'm curious and wondered why yours looks so good.??

I think chocolate is recessive so needs both parents to show it or have the chocolate gene hidden

2 hours ago, mush said:

I think chocolate is recessive so needs both parents to show it or have the chocolate gene hidden

Thanks, that makes sense.? It could also explain why so many kelpie studs in Australia only have black and tans now. 

As I said, I've always been firmly of the opinion that a good dog is never a bad colour, it's just that the nerdy part of my brain (always wanting to know more about something I don't know about...must be the teacher in me) finds the subject fascinating. 

Coincidentally, I'm currently reading Walsh and Lowe's Whippet book (which I bought a first edition of in a charity shop for £1.50 last year!) and the last part I read was the section on colour breeding and recessive genes.