Beardies and Kelpies

My current half collie cross (19 months) went in a field and barked at some cows this affa. Been brought up around and walked through yards with them in several times with no issues. I like the challenge ?

Cheers, D.

• Haha 1

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here we go. If this works there'll be two of her marking rabbits and one side view for a better idea of her build. She's difficult to photograph as she's one of those dogs which comes straight over as

that’s my half bred pup just under 12 months old 

The way I look at things,...the game has changed dramatically, these last few years, and will obviously change, even more so.. bearing in mind that I am an antique, and ancient in the extreme,...I can

Posted Images

Very interesting to see peoples experiences as my next pup was hopefully sired couple of weeks ago. She is a half cross collie greyhound , he is a half cross kelpie /welsh collie x greyhound. All I want is a nice little rabbit dog that will potter about fishing and with the gun and maybe find me any shot ducks that when wounded are sneakiest little sods going. I want a step back from the present bull cross attitude of lets pummel any thing that moves. For the first time in my life I am in no rush to work the dog but looking forward to training and just mooching about. The mum retrieves a ball all day the father fetches like a gundog. Looking forward to it 

• Like 7

Yeah, the herding composites can be a trial,...and often the end result, after enduring, a lengthy period of frustration and stress, is simply not worth it?

We have always bred and kept our own types, and I've found this to be the best,... and safest method,...?

The majority of gifted, or bought in pups, from various sources have still caught me plenty of game, but somehow, my own home-bred curs, have pleased me far more.?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 9
29 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Yeah, the herding composites can be a trial,...and often the end result, after enduring, a lengthy period of frustration and stress, is simply not worth it?

We have always bred and kept our own types, and I've found this to be the best,... and safest method,...?

The majority of gifted, or bought in pups, from various sources have still caught me plenty of game, but somehow, my own home-bred curs, have pleased me far more.?

193.JPG

PHL_8076.JPG

DSC_9846.JPG

Cracking pictures .

• Like 1

Best dog I've ever seen looks and work was 3/8 5/8 beardie out of Enoch off hancock was demon on fox single handed did the numbers take owt put in front of it rough coated easy to train also had a 3/4 grey 1/8 beardie 1/8th border was an absolute speed machine same again great dog to train rabbit hare fox deer but not same numbers on the fox as the other dog didn't have the same knack but if he got 1 or 2 a week I'd of been happy with him jump anything.ive always wanted another 5/8 3/8 but not seen any other throw same stamp of a dog as what Enoch did and seen about 4/5 off him all very similar stamp and all good workers 

• Like 1

Had a dog out of Alex many moons ago , was cracking animal really enjoyed my time with it , always found bullx easiest to get on with but I like a dog with a rough coat don’t turn so many heads , I do like terrier blood when it throws to just a fast version of a terrier some real fun to be had 

Also knew a lad who had a 3/4 grey 1/4 border big dog about 29 inch.was a funny creature if he raised his voice to it would sulk and stay like 20 foot  away from him would do everything he asked of it sit lay down stop etc but keep same distance was funny to watch.and as young dog would take rabbit etc but as soon as it got its first fox developed a hatred for them and had no intrest at all in rabbits or anything but fox was a total different animal

3 minutes ago, Sammyballer said:

Had a dog out of Alex many moons ago , was cracking animal really enjoyed my time with it , always found bullx easiest to get on with but I like a dog with a rough coat don’t turn so many heads , I do like terrier blood when it throws to just a fast version of a terrier some real fun to be had 

Yea a few lads I used to go out with had the bull x I never went that route.they liked them as there easy to get on the teeth but seen some cracking bull x work 

14 hours ago, shaaark said:

Honestly, katch, the only dog I've owned that 'sort' of picked his runs, was the one sired by taffy, and that was ONLY on rabbits.  Was as if he just couldn't be bothered.  Hares and deer he was a different dog altogether, and would literally bust a gut to catch them.

But yeah, I get what you say.

Could the "picking runs" have been inherited from a wanker of a greyhound.(sounds exactly like 1 I was involved with once,super fast-clocked 70 spots faster than the previous years derby runner up in a coursing trial but would stop running if he thought he couldn't kill it).

2 hours ago, Councilestatekid said:

Yea a few lads I used to go out with had the bull x I never went that route.they liked them as there easy to get on the teeth but seen some cracking bull x work 

I had them and loved them , easy to train , easy to have around the kids and just nice to have around , dogs I own now are great but a day off walking and can be hard work and get bored ! Could possible be my last lurcher getting abit heated around here now few lads are going hard and it’s causing abit of noise 

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, tinytiger said:

Could the "picking runs" have been inherited from a wanker of a greyhound.(sounds exactly like 1 I was involved with once,super fast-clocked 70 spots faster than the previous years derby runner up in a coursing trial but would stop running if he thought he couldn't kill it).

His dam wasn't a greyhound from Hancock.  She was a very useful and game  'lurcher x lurcher, that was very greyhoundy that took everything regularly.

Edited by shaaark
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Councilestatekid said:

Best dog I've ever seen looks and work was 3/8 5/8 beardie out of Enoch off hancock was demon on fox single handed did the numbers take owt put in front of it rough coated easy to train also had a 3/4 grey 1/8 beardie 1/8th border was an absolute speed machine same again great dog to train rabbit hare fox deer but not same numbers on the fox as the other dog didn't have the same knack but if he got 1 or 2 a week I'd of been happy with him jump anything.ive always wanted another 5/8 3/8 but not seen any other throw same stamp of a dog as what Enoch did and seen about 4/5 off him all very similar stamp and all good workers 

My 3/4 collie was a full brother of Enoch but from a later litter. Really lovely dog. Very easy going and completely indestructible. He was caught up on a strand of loose barbed wire once and simply tugged himself free without a mark on him, just a ball of fluff left on the wire as though left by a sheep. 

I bought him as an adult from an English Lecturer in Bedfordshire. Unfortunately, I didn't have him for very long as I split up with my girlfriend of the time and the cottage I was living in was  owned by her father. I couldn't find anywhere in Cumbria to live so ended up moving back to Hampshire. Jem stayed with my ex...really rubbed salt into the wound and I've always regretted letting him go. As I said, I didn't have him for long but I have so many great memories of things we got up to. Every time the Coniston fire brigade had a call out he'd hear the siren and let out a mournful howl like a coyote.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, terryd said:

Very interesting to see peoples experiences as my next pup was hopefully sired couple of weeks ago. She is a half cross collie greyhound , he is a half cross kelpie /welsh collie x greyhound. All I want is a nice little rabbit dog that will potter about fishing and with the gun and maybe find me any shot ducks that when wounded are sneakiest little sods going. I want a step back from the present bull cross attitude of lets pummel any thing that moves. For the first time in my life I am in no rush to work the dog but looking forward to training and just mooching about. The mum retrieves a ball all day the father fetches like a gundog. Looking forward to it 

That's been pretty much my attitude to the kind of dog I want for several years now. I can completely empathize with where you're coming from.

Obviously I'm probably coming from a completely different perspective to most people on here, but, for me, catching something is simply an added bonus to a great day out with a great dog...but I guess people who catch sod all always say that.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2