Afternoon mooch on local ponds

Just came across this guy can you spot him or she.  Amazing how they blend into there surroundings , specially when you see them like this in the wild. Been here for a good few years now. Lad who looks after the waters drained the ponds few years back an found some young in too so there defo breeding here. Not many people like them but I think there brilliant little things. 

20220510_125819~2.jpg

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Bangersanmash said:

20220510_125845~2.jpg

Did you notice if it had red or yellow ear flashes?  I had one as a pet for 15 or 20 years.  It became quite tame but was not to trusted with fingers as it grew bigger! 

I felt a bit guilty as they are said to live a bit longer than that .  Maybe because mine was active all year round and didn't  go torpid in the winter as a wild terrapin would it wore out quicker? 

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, comanche said:

Did you notice if it had red or yellow ear flashes?  I had one as a pet for 15 or 20 years.  It became quite tame but was not to trusted with fingers as it grew bigger! 

I felt a bit guilty as they are said to live a bit longer than that .  Maybe because mine was active all year round and didn't  go torpid in the winter as a wild terrapin would it wore out quicker? 

It's red well like an orange colour Mate. This one's like a dinner plate. There's a few of them on diffrent ponds. This one loves to come up onto the side of the reeds an bask out. Few weeks back a caught some teenager's trying to hit the poor fecker with stones.  " A give them an ear full told them if a caught them again trying to hurt it or if a saw it dead on the bank a wouldnt forget there faces an would do the same with my catty lol. A don't know whats wrong with youths today. I'd of been tryin to catch it to take home an put in my pond not kill it.  

• Like 1

My local lake is full of them..big buggers and  different types....they must be breeding because they don't get killed off when it freezes over...used to ride our bikes over the ice as kids?

All the lakes I know of have them?20170402_134915.jpg.78e27563c529bd1bff1672bfcca41eab.jpgDSC_1804-EFFECTS.jpg.28e39d026ee6faabf3f788f3620de8ee.jpg

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

My local lake is full of them..big buggers and  different types....they must be breeding because they don't get killed off when it freezes over...used to ride our bikes over the ice as kids?

All the lakes I know of have them?20170402_134915.jpg.78e27563c529bd1bff1672bfcca41eab.jpgDSC_1804-EFFECTS.jpg.28e39d026ee6faabf3f788f3620de8ee.jpg

Love view that bottom pic Danny 

On 10/05/2022 at 18:51, Daniel cain said:

Those lads Carl and Alix on you tube,didn't they do a vid of them fishing there?..Some nice fish in there if mud suckers are your thing :thumbs:

• Like 1
On 10/05/2022 at 18:51, Daniel cain said:

They need a barrel them 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, green lurchers said:

They need a barrel them 

I watched one the size of a dinner plate swim past me both in and out with the tide on the far upper reaches of the river Deben next to the bridge just round the corner from the Suffolk Bacon place in Melton..:thumbs:. Thinking about it there was some carp in the tidal river as well a few years back that were coping with the salt water..

2 minutes ago, fireman said:

I watched one the size of a dinner plate swim past me both in and out with the tide on the far upper reaches of the river Deben next to the bridge just round the corner from the Suffolk Bacon place in Melton..:thumbs:. Thinking about it there was some carp in the tidal river as well a few years back that were coping with the salt water..

I know the place do the bass hang ther ? Sure I’ve seen mullet off the bridge 

2 hours ago, green lurchers said:

I know the place do the bass hang ther ? Sure I’ve seen mullet off the bridge 

They do,a few larger ones iv'e seen chasing 6 inch mullet out the water before now but mostly schoolies really. The river has a rocky bottom so you will loose gear but it almost dries out at low tide so you can walk out and get it back, rag worm we use if we fish there or  mepps spinners but bait is best..Good for a bit of fun as the tide comes in and over high water as such mate..