A place round the corner i regularly walk has just had a couple of these nestboxes put upa few hundred yards apart in the last few days ....would anyone know if they are for a specific type of bird ? it all seems a bit extravagant for first come first served random local birds ?

IMG_4568.jpg

IMG_4565.jpg

Edited by gnasher16
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

A place round the corner i regularly walk has just had a couple of these nestboxes put upa few hundred yards apart in the last few days ....would anyone know if they are for a specific type of bird ? it all seems a bit extravagant for first come first served random local birds ?

IMG_4568.jpg

IMG_4565.jpg

Owl box mate...

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Go back an hour before dark an you see them floating about like ghosts 

Yeah i'll be over there regular now its literally a 2 minute walk.

I wonder has some everyday Joe put them there or some kind of Owl Trust trying to get numbers up maybe?

Just now, gnasher16 said:

Yeah i'll be over there regular now its literally a 2 minute walk.

I wonder has some everyday Joe put them there or some kind of Owl Trust trying to get numbers up maybe?

Over here you can get a grant to put boxes up around your farm, so much for birds upto a certain number and the same for bats…..it’s either a funding scheme type thing or part of a plan to just promote more owls.

Cant see a private bloke doing something so neat and tidy and well engineered.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, WILF said:

Over here you can get a grant to put boxes up around your farm, so much for birds upto a certain number and the same for bats…..it’s either a funding scheme type thing or part of a plan to just promote more owls.

Cant see a private bloke doing something so neat and tidy and well engineered.

The land belongs to The Corporation of London and is well tucked away ive barely ever seen anyone there.....i wonder if its some kind of scheme could you get a couple put up in your garden i wouldnt mind doing something like that.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, WILF said:

Barn owls will come into a squeak when you are out after foxes, I used to love watching them in the lamp beam.

Used to "squeak them in" with my youngest girl... 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

They good boxes, can’t see it being an average guy unless he owns the land, big work going on everywhere to help the owls, they are one the few owls who will hunt in broad daylight, so if it’s a nice day, no wind, they don’t like wind or rain, then there’s a good chance you see them, no mistaken them, like I say they look like a carrier bag/ghost sort a floating about the fields an hedges an most let you get quite close if you stand near there favourite fence post perch an stay still, iv never had anybody with me that wasn’t fascinated by them when we saw them 

Short eared owls are another that you can watch early morning, evening...used to see them hunting over the marshes behind the River Exe...

Barn owls are fascinating...no matter how many times you've seen them they still make you stop and watch...

• Like 3
26 minutes ago, NEWKID said:

Barn owls are fascinating...no matter how many times you've seen them they still make you stop and watch...

I had a barn owl as a kid, beautiful bird, had a little owl as well which was a real character, wouldn't mind another one. 

Subject of owls my youngest is on holiday with his fiance, they have went to palawan, there was an owl outside their beach cottage yesterday. 

Screenshot_20220509_141841.jpg

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, mackem said:

had a little owl as well which was a real character, wouldn't mind another one.

Don't fukkin set me off, mate! :D Little owl must be about the Only creature I wanted, but never got to keep! Love the fukkin things!!!

Mate had one, one time. (Far from ideal conditions, sadly. God knows where he got it. He was living in a bed sit and it was in a box on the floor, or something. Died soon enough :() Used to scuttle across the floor though! Hilarious!

The times I've looked at that aviary, out there .....

• Like 1

Owl box there putting more and more up at newly planted woods hoping the owls will control the voles and shrews 

One of the forrestry scientist said a vole or shrew would eat threw a seedling rather than go round it if its planted on its run seems a bit far fetched to me 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, sid g said:

why are they made at an angle -- ? the weather ? 

Sid; That's one of the most advanced designs out there, as far as I remember. Result of years and years of practising and learning.

There's some absolutely superb stuff on you tube. Ah; Here we go :)

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Don't fukkin set me off, mate! :D Little owl must be about the Only creature I wanted, but never got to keep! Love the fukkin things!!!

Little owls are real personalities, mine was very tame,you can get a chick for £175 in the UK, I just found them here for 950 bucks. 

https://www.birdtrader.co.uk/uk/birds-of-prey-for-sale/owls/