Silver bullet line

15 hours ago, levigsp said:

Great photos Old Phil.

Anyone remember the time in 80s when some poachers were picked up coursing on the plain, when a helicopter was used to get them??

Absolutely  I remember that helicopters was used, also military police in land rovers. They used to issue official written warnings with a stern " f**k off tablet"

I myself fell foul of them , many, many moons ago when training racing pigeons down through that area. They sent me packing and refused me to release as I was too near a military traing operation.... apparently 

• Like 2

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, I remember,...several different dogs tried to stop the fecker,.. (some exceptionally fast jukels),.. but none could put that essential turn in....and seal the deal? I do believe, a well plac

Don't say that name 3 X ffs....

Yes, I would agree with that statement..? Facts are, the bitch in that photo, actually hit the rabbit with her jaw, and quickly juggled the Coney,.. back into her mouth.. It is not the perfe

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Bird Catcher said:

Absolutely  I remember that helicopters was used, also military police in land rovers. They used to issue official written warnings with a stern " f**k off tablet"

I myself fell foul of them , many, many moons ago when training racing pigeons down through that area. They sent me packing and refused me to release as I was too near a military traing operation.... apparently 

I had a similar situation...but mine was far more jobsworth/ridiculous.

I was in my early twenties and was bird watching (though I did have a collie x whippet with me yer honour) behind one of the forts in Gosport. I saw a large bird of prey landing behind a wire perimeter fence bordering some rough ground behind the fort and so went to have a closer look with my bins. I was approached by a security guard and asked to not look through the fence as it was an MOD base. Now I'm one of those people who easily folds under pressure (yes sir, straight away sir) but even I couldn't resist pointing out that I was hardly your typical Russian spy. Well, there was a very high fence between us and he'd have had a long way to go round it.?

• Haha 2
5 hours ago, Bird Catcher said:

The official warning this time came in the form of court hearing and fines! and faces splashed on TV- "mum look Im famous"  lol

Its curious, but I always found the bolted rabbits on The Plains,.to be incredibly awkward for a dog to catch..?

At first, the terrain seems just like any other vast stretch of rough turf,.. but it is only when a running dog gets into a full gallop and really starts to stretch out, that the difficulties suddenly appear...

The Plains have been used for decades as a training ground for countless regiments of soldiers , and the heavy Tanks and suchlike have churned the chalk and turf over, time after time...

This has often left the place in right state, and created a fairly unique landscape...

The rabbits seem to use the ruts and bumps, to their best advantage,.. and one has to run several different lurchers , over many seasons to appreciate the crazy style of hunting that is often required, to achieve any semblance of success..

Funny old parcel of land,..no doubts about that..?.

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Sammyballer said:

So decent animals down there , seen lads flying across in 4x4 hit a tank track and nearly flip ? plenty deer around there aswell sure I seen reds there before ?

That's what happens to the dogs that dont control their speed , hare uses tank ruck to lose dog , dog ends up with broken leg or neck. Thats if they dont just out run the dog, make fen hares look soft. ????