Silver bullet line

Do anybody on here remember the silver bullet line whippets.? Very popular around Salisbury Plain / Hampshire area in the 70's/ early 80's. Always silver brindle or blue and fantastic staying power. Never hear of them nowadays ( unless you're in the know) think the Saluki craze was the death of them. Same as our old pencil ferrets, old fashioned tried and tested stuff don't seam so good anymore.  I know you're supposed to move with the times but at my age ... if it ain't broke.... don't fix it !! .

• Like 2

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes, I remember,...several different dogs tried to stop the fecker,.. (some exceptionally fast jukels),.. but none could put that essential turn in....and seal the deal? I do believe, a well plac

Don't say that name 3 X ffs....

Yes, I would agree with that statement..? Facts are, the bitch in that photo, actually hit the rabbit with her jaw, and quickly juggled the Coney,.. back into her mouth.. It is not the perfe

Posted Images

I remember a pair of whippets, Silver Fox and Silver Fern that may have been from that line back in the 70's.

The lad ran them in the non-ped racing, but they couldn't really compete and allways ran off the top mark.

Nice looking pedigrees, though.

Cheers.

14 minutes ago, baker boy said:

What does "off the top of the mark" mean Charts, is it something to do with handicapping 

Yes mate.

if the race is 150 yards, the fastest dog starts off "scratch", and the slowest dog starts "off the top mark" usually 21 yards, so that means the slowest dog gets 21 yards start from the fastest dog. This is in timed handicapping

In "yards per pounds" racing, the heaviest dog, say 32lb, would start off scratch and the lightest dog , usually 16lb would start off 16 yards.

In "Scratch Racing" all dogs start off scratch.

Cheers.

• Like 1
Just now, McVey said:

Where do ringers start? ?

Not such a daft question. ?

In Yards per Pound racing its pointless having a ringer, but in timed racing it's fairly easy to beat the handicapper.

Time trial a slower dog, then put a faster dog into the actual race. 

Or there was "stopping a dog", filling it with food or tiring it out before the time trial, then have it on its toes the following week.

Quite common in Whippet and greyhound racing.

Cheers.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Bird Catcher said:

Do anybody on here remember the silver bullet line whippets.? Very popular around Salisbury Plain / Hampshire area in the 70's/ early 80's. Always silver brindle or blue and fantastic staying power. Never hear of them nowadays ( unless you're in the know) think the Saluki craze was the death of them. Same as our old pencil ferrets, old fashioned tried and tested stuff don't seam so good anymore.  I know you're supposed to move with the times but at my age ... if it ain't broke.... don't fix it !! .

We're they also known as bowline

• Haha 3
23 minutes ago, shaaark said:

No, he certainly isn't.  The guy's an absolute lying bellend.

most i ever laughed on here was when he did his arnold pose with rude boy tattooed across his back ? 

• Haha 5