National Pests, impact on economy and how do we control them

First up, I hope that I have got this in the right forum. If not let me know.

National pests. I guess every country has them - and no, I'm not talking about Politicians.

I just thought it could be interesting to exchange a bit of information as to what constitutes a pest in your particular area and/or country, why they are a pest and what is being done to control them. 

Here in New Zealand we have various pests that are causing widespread economic damage to our rural farming community, and national parks. And what is most important about these two economic areas in New Zealand? Agriculture and Tourism are out two top earners in terms of GDP.

Off the top of my head I would say Deer, Pigs, Wallabys, Possums, Rabbits, Hares, Stoats, Ferrets, Weasels, Rats and mice are our main pests, though not necessarily in that order. 

Over the next week or two I will post information of each of these but to start the ball rolling, here is a really good article that just about covers all bases pertaining to our Wallaby problem.

WWW.NZGEO.COM

The occupation

Hope you enjoy and hope that others will share the issues that they are facing in pest management.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 3

That wallaby festival looks good . Cant inagine anything like that going on over here . We got a sheep fesitval local to me , they used to have sheep racing down a street , each sheep had a number and people would chuck a few quid on sheep almost like the grand national but with small jumps . Somebody started a petition and it got 60,000 signatures and they had to cancel it because they said it was cruel . Imagine the moaning if they had races while carriyng dead animals 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Yes, @Dervburner .17hmr is probably a good choice for your mice. Down under, the breeding conditions are rather ideal for mice and they grow really big.

Hunter-with-a-Giant-Mouse.jpg.635f42417baa9a253104afddc277c46b.jpg

We find a 45/70 or 12 guage shotgun with solid slugs is the best choice here.....?

Cheers

Phil

• Haha 3
5 minutes ago, PhilH said:

Yes, @Dervburner .17hmr is probably a good choice for your mice. Down under, the breeding conditions are rather ideal for mice and they grow really big.

Hunter-with-a-Giant-Mouse.jpg.635f42417baa9a253104afddc277c46b.jpg

We find a 45/70 or 12 guage shotgun with solid slugs is the best choice here.....?

Cheers

Phil

Is that a Franchi al48?