I Might Be Getting My Bullfrog!!!

:icon_eek: Been trying to order the toad some more crickets, since last week. Web site kept chucking 404's 'n shit. Tried again, today. More shit. Decided to leave it and regroup.

Phone rang. It's them! Bloke says they've redone the site and blah, blah, blah. Talked me through what to do. Was very good and insisted on staying on the phone with me till it was all sorted. Got my order in.

We were just signing off when, out of the blue, I found myself saying; " Just as I've got ye here ... I don't s'pose ye ever get any Pyxicephalus aspersus in, do ye? " Ye know, like ye do. I knew this place got reptiles and amphibians in. It just sort of came out.

He's like; " Any What?! ..... Hang on. Let me hand ye over to our expert in this kind of thing. Gavin. "

On comes Gavin. Young bloke. I ask him if they get any African Bullfrogs. " We Do ..... " he says. Seemingly scratching his chin. " I don't ... Let me just ... Ooh! Yes! We have one sitting out there, right now! :D "

A lot of people aren't used to me. Gavin wasn't used to me. Gavin didn't seem quite prepared for when I absolutely Roared down the phone:

" Noooo!!!!! Ye Fukking Kidding Me!!!  YE'VE FUKKING GOT ONE?!?! "

The rest was sort of a blur, really. Gavin mumbling something about " Enthusiasm " and " Nice ". Me trying to breathe properly, while Dimming Thermostats, tanks, filters and dead baby mice crowded my brain. Along with swift calculations of hundred and what ever it was he said frogs. Two hundred taxi rides. Fukk knows what else. No Fukking Problemmo!!! :icon_eek:

We are talking about The Once And Future, here! Ever since I gave it all up, couple of decades ago, I've pined for two things back: My Common Snapping Turtle and my African Bullfrog.

Got my snapper, about five years ago. Still got this Dreadful itch for another Bullfrog! One more bucket list thing.

This is Doable! 8)

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Have you ever thought about dart frogs katch? Miniature jewels and dead easy to keep. That's my project  in the next few months..

Never heard of them so googled them , wow amazing colours , keep us posted how you get on ?

Just now, McVey said:

Just don't rub one on your mates' darts when playing Bully in the shed!

They are also known as poison dart frogs but they are not poisonous when they are not in their jungle habitat. Think they acquire the poison from the jungle floor- or substrate as it is known.

6 minutes ago, jukel123 said:

Have you ever thought about dart frogs katch? Miniature jewels and dead easy to keep. That's my project  in the next few months..

Kept Dendrobatidae in the distant past, cracking wee things. Get a group in a nice well planted vivarium and they make a great feature in a room. Way better than an aquarium IMO.

One thing I'd advise you to do is get the vivarium set up and running a while before you get the animals, once the enviroment is sorted they really are easy to keep.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Just now, W. Katchum said:

No j haven’t, k honestly ain’t got time to do anything else justice at the minute, but in time as things change iv always fancied a man amphibian. Reptiles gee me the heebie jeebies tho ?

You "always fancied a man amphibian". Please tell me that was a typo fffs.

• Haha 2
30 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Go for it, iv always fancied one them Pac-Man ones. Maybe one day when k ain’t got a tribe taking up all the space ?

I had a couple years ago, better off with a big tarantula if you want something to sit there and do nowt.

There is some nice colours available in the ceratophrys types though, I think its the fantasy ones which are a cross? 

1 hour ago, forest of dean redneck said:

My ex had Pac-Man frogs like a mouth n stomach that sits there ?

Best display Viv I had was a hifi cabinet converted into a Viv with pair of tokay geckos in.

Tokays are a species I always wanted to keep but for one reason or another never got round to it. May change that when I'm a bit more settled. You seen the morphs available these days? Still prefer the wild type myself but is mad what's out there now!

4 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

:icon_eek: Been trying to order the toad some more crickets, since last week. Web site kept chucking 404's 'n shit. Tried again, today. More shit. Decided to leave it and regroup.

Phone rang. It's them! Bloke says they've redone the site and blah, blah, blah. Talked me through what to do. Was very good and insisted on staying on the phone with me till it was all sorted. Got my order in.

We were just signing off when, out of the blue, I found myself saying; " Just as I've got ye here ... I don't s'pose ye ever get any Pyxicephalus aspersus in, do ye? " Ye know, like ye do. I knew this place got reptiles and amphibians in. It just sort of came out.

He's like; " Any What?! ..... Hang on. Let me hand ye over to our expert in this kind of thing. Gavin. "

On comes Gavin. Young bloke. I ask him if they get any African Bullfrogs. " We Do ..... " he says. Seemingly scratching his chin. " I don't ... Let me just ... Ooh! Yes! We have one sitting out there, right now! :D "

A lot of people aren't used to me. Gavin wasn't used to me. Gavin didn't seem quite prepared for when I absolutely Roared down the phone:

" Noooo!!!!! Ye Fukking Kidding Me!!!  YE'VE FUKKING GOT ONE?!?! "

The rest was sort of a blur, really. Gavin mumbling something about " Enthusiasm " and " Nice ". Me trying to breathe properly, while Dimming Thermostats, tanks, filters and dead baby mice crowded my brain. Along with swift calculations of hundred and what ever it was he said frogs. Two hundred taxi rides. Fukk knows what else. No Fukking Problemmo!!! :icon_eek:

We are talking about The Once And Future, here! Ever since I gave it all up, couple of decades ago, I've pined for two things back: My Common Snapping Turtle and my African Bullfrog.

Got my snapper, about five years ago. Still got this Dreadful itch for another Bullfrog! One more bucket list thing.

This is Doable! 8)

It's just like the J R Hartley advert :yes:

• Haha 1
7 hours ago, BGD said:

Tokays are a species I always wanted to keep but for one reason or another never got round to it. May change that when I'm a bit more settled. You seen the morphs available these days? Still prefer the wild type myself but is mad what's out there now!

No I hadn’t the standard ones are stunning , pair I had used to call in the summer evenings .

• 4 weeks later...
On 03/05/2022 at 17:11, forest of dean redneck said:

Best display Viv I had was a hifi cabinet converted into a Viv with pair of tokay geckos in.

My mate sent me some footage earlier, he lives in chiang mai,filmed a decent sized tokay chasing house gecko,I have seen them catch and eat smaller gecko in the past.I used to fish for them with a little fishing line snare and a spinning rod. 

Screenshot_20220601_125256.jpg

IMG_20220601_125014.jpg

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, mackem said:

My mate sent me some footage earlier, he lives in chiang mai,filmed a decent sized tokay chasing house gecko,I have seen them catch and eat smaller gecko in the past.I used to fish for them with a little fishing line snare and a spinning rod. 

Screenshot_20220601_125256.jpg

IMG_20220601_125014.jpg

Nice one Mackem ?

• Like 1