6.5 creed or .270 rifle for stalking?

6 hours ago, ianm said:

I have used a mates 25/06 and liked it. Bullet weights are a bit close though at 90grn to 130grn and the same rifle won’t shoot them at either end of the scale. It will either shoot the lower weights well or the upper weights well but not both.

That won't be a hallmark of the cartridge, most likely a particular rifle issue, if at all one thinks it is an issue even etc.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do love my 6.5CM

I’ve shot my mates creed but not sure I could face telling him I’ve got one after calling him gay for having a gaymore ? 

The "6.5 Anything" seems to be fashionable at this moment, and probably with good cause. The 6.5 calibre bullet has proved itself a good and capable choice since 1891 and there are a lot of cartridge

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Fellman Mark said:

Made my mind up going with a gaymore filled my form in just see how long durham take to process it ?

Don't hold your breath they are taking g forever.  My renewal has been in since January and still nothing sorted , I now have an 8 week extension. 

Grant's are taking longer , heard of one guy it's been 18 month ?

• Sad 1
30 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Don't hold your breath they are taking g forever.  My renewal has been in since January and still nothing sorted , I now have an 8 week extension. 

Ridiculous ?

1 hour ago, FOXHUNTER said:

That is stupid, they are creating themselves more work by giving out extensions, they can’t be anything difficult doing a renewal for someone like you, where nothing has changed since the last time you did it, other than you are 5 years older ?

Last time I did a variation with Cleveland it was less than 48 hours, might be a bit different now because everyone is blaming the bat flu, I’ll have to ask Longshanx how he’s getting on because he’s renewing now and he’s under the same firearms department as me

I am probably a little biased as I have a .270 and a .308 that I use regularly. I also have a 6.5x55 that for one reason or another I haven't put one shot through as yet.

However, when looking at another calibre I look to Nathan Foster from Ballistic Studies. Again a bias on my part perhaps as he is also a Kiwi.

Here is an article on the .270 that he has done.....

WWW.BALLISTICSTUDIES.COM

He has also done an extensive piece on the 6.5 Creedmoor but unfortunately that is only in his books at this time.

And then have you considered the 7.6 Creedmoor

BULLETIN.ACCURATESHOOTER.COM

Leveraging the incredible success of the 6.5 Creedmoor cartridge, ammo-makers and rifle manufacturers have...

They sound quite brilliant ?

Hope some of this at least might be helpful.

Cheers

Phil

On 30/04/2022 at 21:13, Fellman Mark said:

Was leaning towards the 270 as I didn’t want to be a sheep and follow the fashion 

.270 is the new black as the US army choose it as their new caliber 6,8 with a case size similar to .308w.

On 01/05/2022 at 06:27, FOXHUNTER said:

6.5 creed is the fashionable calibre at the minute will serve you well.

I hate the .270 ....recoil is awful..

The "6.5 Anything" seems to be fashionable at this moment, and probably with good cause. The 6.5 calibre bullet has proved itself a good and capable choice since 1891 and there are a lot of cartridge case choices to push them with. I personally have a love for the 6.5's but just haven't had the time to fully explore or use them.

As for the recoil in .270......I find this interesting.. I myself always believed that a .270 kick was rather fearsome, so in the early days I went with .308 and didn't regret it. Then only 6 months ago I decided that I needed something with a little more reach and yet still have the stopping power so I braced myself, expecting to receive a right old battering and bought a .270. My only regret is that I hadn't started out with a .270, it's a pussycat. I only run 130 gr at 3100 fps at this time and there is less felt recoil than with the .308 using 150 gr. I have to say, I am finding the .270 a delightful calibre to use, and nothing that I have shot with it has walked more than a few steps and there have been some big red stags and boars in that count.

Now, here in New Zealand, the Tikka's have a bit of a reputation for being a real kicker in .270 and I can't comment as I have never fired one. There is a definite consensus that different rifle stocks deliver the recoil impulse quite differently. I am running a Howa 1500 that has both a suppressor and a bipod attached so no doubt they would help absorb some of the recoil, but all i can say, if .270 appears to suit your need, go and try one first rather than listen to the naysayers.

My 2 cents worth,

Cheers

Phil 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, PhilH said:

The "6.5 Anything" seems to be fashionable at this moment, and probably with good cause. The 6.5 calibre bullet has proved itself a good and capable choice since 1891 and there are a lot of cartridge case choices to push them with. I personally have a love for the 6.5's but just haven't had the time to fully explore or use them.

As for the recoil in .270......I find this interesting.. I myself always believed that a .270 kick was rather fearsome, so in the early days I went with .308 and didn't regret it. Then only 6 months ago I decided that I needed something with a little more reach and yet still have the stopping power so I braced myself, expecting to receive a right old battering and bought a .270. My only regret is that I hadn't started out with a .270, it's a pussycat. I only run 130 gr at 3100 fps at this time and there is less felt recoil than with the .308 using 150 gr. I have to say, I am finding the .270 a delightful calibre to use, and nothing that I have shot with it has walked more than a few steps and there have been some big red stags and boars in that count.

Now, here in New Zealand, the Tikka's have a bit of a reputation for being a real kicker in .270 and I can't comment as I have never fired one. There is a definite consensus that different rifle stocks deliver the recoil impulse quite differently. I am running a Howa 1500 that has both a suppressor and a bipod attached so no doubt they would help absorb some of the recoil, but all i can say, if .270 appears to suit your need, go and try one first rather than listen to the naysayers.

My 2 cents worth,

Cheers

Phil 

Yep, noticed that years ago buddy.

My take on it is that and cartridge that uses the slower end of the spectrum of powder choice will always feel nicer to shoot.

Incidentally 308 likes mid burn speeds and can produce a more snappy recoil pulse. Add the fact that heavier bullets are used in the 308 and you can get a bit of a kick.

Definitely stock shape and its weight plays a large part of how recoil is transmitted to us.

Then you have difference between shooters. Some cradle into the rifle so both user and rifle recoil as one and some hold the rifle loosely thinking any distance away from their rifle will help somehow to tame the recoil but leave themselves severely rattled from the recoil but unfortunately it is their horror stories that are only noticed!

Then you get shooters insisting on shooting powerful cartridges in a similar fashion benchresters shoot their heavy 222's!

I always thought 270 just gave a good old shove rather than a kick.

Edited by Sausagedog
  • Like 1

Everyone's circumstances/land/requirements/experience/etc/etc is different.

There are limited numbers of Red round my way (and never even seen a CWD in the field) but my .243 has served me well for all deer to date.

I also have .308 but it gets more use on the Range than in the field.  I use the 150g in the .308 and it really is an easy shoot, mine is a Remington 700 SPS Stainless Light barrel and is surprisingly easy on the shoulder!

I've never actually shot the 6.5 but I have the 270 numerous times, not a fan. 

Have you ruled out a 308 for some reason?????

Edited by Deker
  • Like 2