First Bull X -

7 hours ago, fireman said:

He still looks puppyish so i'd choose carefuly just what to test his metal on as likes been said he's just taking his time to mature and once out gunned young it's not easy to build them up to get to that point again and them to stay at it, looks a grand  youngster and the best of luck for the fur season..

Best bit of advice on this thread ? 

• Thanks 2

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What I began to realize was he needed the “deer to start the action” - if I caused them to run he was ready to go. I needed him to learn that he could initiate the chase. A few run ins with the local

? it’s 2 year old if it isnt keen enough and able by now it’s for the knackers yard ?  what you going to do go steady until it’s got a grey face ?  come on blacky ? 

Sounds like your beginning to bond and trust each other that always helps and I think the penny is beginning to drop in regards what you want from him .You certainly have him in good order and he's sh

Posted Images

On 15/07/2022 at 04:15, SavantK9 said:

Been on a fair bit of fox chases the past couple months and is beginning to airscent. He’ll key up on an area before the quarry starts moving, both fox and deer. He’s also learned how to follow the beam - learned that it = eyeshine.  He’s not quite as fast as his pure lurcher buddy, but they hunt well together and his nose yields hidden game. 

Fur season starts this October. Looks like he’s ready. Really need something that’ll test his mettle. 

AB6C90E3-B328-4047-ACA9-5383A9B3D300.jpeg

F881FC7E-80C1-4711-8398-70E7B6C919E4.jpeg

ECDC53B9-3638-4099-8515-9F76B859C3BE.jpeg

DBA5A843-BF73-420C-8450-023BDB13D1CF.jpeg

looking well mate 

46 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Best bit of advice on this thread ? 

? it’s 2 year old if it isnt keen enough and able by now it’s for the knackers yard ? 

what you going to do go steady until it’s got a grey face ? 

come on blacky ? 

• Haha 5
3 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

? it’s 2 year old if it isnt keen enough and able by now it’s for the knackers yard ? 

what you going to do go steady until it’s got a grey face ? 

come on blacky ? 

Mc that's why so many slop plodders Jack on old puss never mind gear that gives it back?that's even if they will run that gear a decent handler knows when there ready and brings them on slowly like you with your summer hunting and as you know all dogs muture mentally and physically at  different ages 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
20 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

Mc that's why so many slop plodders Jack on old puss never mind gear that gives it back?that's even if they will run that gear a decent handler knows when there ready and brings them on slowly like you with your summer hunting and as you know all dogs muture mentally and physically at  different ages 

start em young let them enter thereself they mature a lot quicker mentally 

not wait until 2 and keep molly coddling 

a bold fit dog full of it’s self is what you want mate

• Like 5
28 minutes ago, mC HULL said:

start em young let them enter thereself they mature a lot quicker mentally 

not wait until 2 and keep molly coddling 

a bold fit dog full of it’s self is what you want mate

I totally agree about starting them young getting them  round hedges ditches ect but I have seen a good  few dogs full of there selves walk when things come on top give me a quiet dog who just wants work without drama you know the sort mc there the ones you need 

• Like 2
On 28/04/2022 at 04:58, SavantK9 said:

They’ve got some size to them. Tough skin, no neck and are all muscle with long teeth. Giant ground squirrels. 

One of my female mastiffs took one yesterday and had some minor teeth marks to her neck. They don’t last long with a proper crunch to the body. But they will turn and defend themselves. 

F06DE6BE-96EC-44A0-8AC6-A5B2EB5ED66D.jpeg

DC8A8C4F-A01D-4FC3-BC9E-95FC0D120F4B.jpeg

Get a new mastiff, a 5kg Russell would kill that in seconds with no bite marks on it, lol.

On 17/07/2022 at 10:03, Aussie Whip said:

Get a new mastiff, a 5kg Russell would kill that in seconds with no bite marks on it, lol.

Or a  6kg  black terrier, many pats in Oz? 

• Like 1
4 hours ago, bird said:

Or a  6kg  black terrier, many pats in Oz? 

Most of the working terriers are in Victoria or far South NSW as are running dogs. What I've seen, the quality of the pats isn't up to UK's standards. Most hunters with dogs here go after pigs as you probably know. I've seen a few litters of pats on gumtree lately, selling as pets which probably wont help the breed here.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • 9 months later...

Took him to tx, and introduced him to some hogs. Would have liked to have started him on some small ones - but they escaped the night before. Ended up having some sub adults between 80-130lbs. 

it was a rough intro. They charge dogs. A few unpleasant run ins and he got with the program. They take off running and He’ll sit hogs down. Run em down, Hit a leg and just dig in. I like the regrips. But would have preferred straight ear holds. I think he learned about the hogs business end.Tried choking him off the grips and placing him on the head - he’s just work his way to the back. 

first session he was targeting the other dog and getting corrected for it. By the second and third he was a pro. 

wouldn’t trust a rear end dog solo on these guys  - but I reckon a few more reps and we might be able to get him moved up  

2EA79E91-13B2-4CE0-A970-6FDAFA8E3FA7.jpeg

F9A51740-0F08-4B99-BC6F-872102592383.jpeg

AE4BF6EF-98EB-41D5-B3AB-A7ED67C89D67.jpeg

26D56AC7-92B5-40A1-B2FA-3B8ED606E46B.jpeg

Edited by SavantK9

The batch that escaped  and the sub -adults that were captured and removed. They’ll test a dogs mettle, and put holes in a dog quick  the 100-120lbers tend to be the most dangerous - fast moving and agile  -  overall a very positive trip for the boy who likely suffered from under exposure, lack of work and low effort. Glad that with time he’s progressed.  Def a dog who needs the fight brought to him  to get him hooked  

6390149F-133E-4EE9-8684-D0ED37592087.jpeg

E7F08FEF-0609-4F09-9520-5EEA8D726391.jpeg

48807C81-DD57-42CA-82EC-5A4006681692.jpeg

81EFF4B9-1BD7-4030-95DC-863599D3B6D8.jpeg

5B0F0798-ED75-4392-B36B-781F26DDACE6.jpeg

Edited by SavantK9
  • Like 1