• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yesterdays eggs from my hens and ducks; A few days of sun has even got the little call duck laying ? Cheers.

I usually have plenty of spare eggs, I give some to my neighbor, who happens to own a heating business and sees to any central heating problems I may have, F.O.C. I give eggs to my brother, he gi

The supermarkets,are a major cause of animal cruelty imo. Animals and birds are pushed to ever more limits to improve profitability.As soon as their efficiency drops below the required standard they a

Posted Images

My mate did the Milk for Muller, prices of everything gone through the roof. 

Contract came to an end, they refused to pay anymore. 

He worked out he would make almost nothing on the milk, they still refused to pay anymore. 

He told them to find someone else to work for free and sold his entire herd. 

200+ Cows I think. 

• Sad 2
3 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

What sort, Tank? I'm getting a couple (?) of Goldtops, one day. Watching vid's till my eyes bleed is bringing me round to the ideas of little birds :)

Some Pekin bantams and black leghorns bantams both Pekin are sat on eggs , looking at some welsumer bantams next , like bantams easy to keep eat nowt an lovely eggs to eat don't mess place up like big hens do20220317_132547.jpg.5cf29f27031d8c42be92e3a351895660.jpg20220324_150738.jpg.2aecf95e556a55d7781123c456dd5c1b.jpg

• Like 4

Silky and Bovan both sitting the same duck eggs;

FullSizeRender.jpg.58e46815021bb2adcb028b178ca130d3.jpg

First duckling hatched at 26 days;

FullSizeRender.jpg.31049b21c8027a9ab88c7add68af12f1.jpg

Second duckling hatched at 28 days;

FullSizeRender.jpg.8d72c5c359284f039b7cb295b1c74af8.jpg

Dont know how one is black and one is yellow, the eggs were from the same Khaki Campbell drake and duck ?

Cheers.

Edited by chartpolski
  • Like 4

Cheers, lads. That gave me five minutes on google. Chicken checking :boogy:

I'm quite happy, in my head, thinking about bantams now. I'm not interested in egg or meat production. Just eye appeal.

The old think box is going in overdrive now! Centre of it all, of course, is that secure flight I have out there. Considering how many would fit in, if I gave the entire thing over to a night box for them.

Once this GF thing's done, I guess I'll have to wait and see where they decide they want to go at night.

13 minutes ago, micky said:

Do people still use LAYERS MASH , when i was a kid i was always mashing it up with boiled Potato peelings .

I've literally just made a mash for the chicks !

IMG_1822.JPG.2bead13a97f37a0ee524c72710920ee2.JPG

Wheat, oats, bit of garlic and some vitamin d tablets, all in the blender.

Cheers.

5 hours ago, micky said:

Do people still use LAYERS MASH , when i was a kid i was always mashing it up with boiled Potato peelings .

I did in winter warm mash when had Brown hens an ducks kept them laying in winter an had a cold  some marmite in with mash soon sorted it out ?

56 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Quails eggs? Just been watching a woman keeps them. Anyone had their eggs? Just wondering what the fuss was about ?

Yes, very good hard boiled but they are really small, about 1/4 size of a hens egg. Used to buy them off Bolton market back along.

Cheers, D.

• Thanks 1

This stuff always makes interesting reading . . . . . . 

Supermarkets are b*stards, and screw their producers badly at every chance.

Costs have gone up a lot, and that needs to be passed down the chain, not just stuck onto the producer.

With regard to eggs - the issue is that a lot of people dont know the cost / value because there are lots of folk who basically have a job, and pay to subsidise a hobby of keeping some chickens and producing eggs, with money from their other job. They then give these away or sell them for f**k all, they are losing money on every egg. . . . . and then can't understand why a large scale farmer can't match their cost.

You see it in every area of farming, it is bizarre and a pain in the arse!

• Like 3