Canada Geese Night Shooting

I don't really get what the problem is. There are no time limits as to when you can and can not flight shoot a pond or coast line. There are some rules around shooting deer if I remember  correctly within  one hour of sunrise and sunset.

The rules are clear to me. The very fact electronic sighting devices and illuminated shooting is illegal means therefore it is NOT illegal to shoot at night with natural, if any, light. It could be argued an illuminated reticle is illegal but man you would be extremely unlucky if someone a; noticed and b; cared!

I understand why everything has to be covered because no doubt some fairy living in some imaginary dream world will go nuts but, will they know etc etc. The same if they slip on a goose turd will soon be claiming for injury!

Edited by Sausagedog

Sighting device for night shooting is the grey area? 

It can be argued that a sighting device is a daytime scope and not just night vision. 

Mr Sausage....no time limits regarding flighting etc relates to shotguns but the OP wishes to use rifles.

Looking forward to the answer.

34 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Sighting device for night shooting is the grey area? 

It can be argued that a sighting device is a daytime scope and not just night vision. 

Mr Sausage....no time limits regarding flighting etc relates to shotguns but the OP wishes to use rifles.

Looking forward to the answer.

I beg to differ, the emphasis is on artificial lighting, be it in any form other than natural. An optical  sight, telescopic sight only uses natural light unless used in conjunction with a lamp. Which would make the combination illegal.

We are splitting hairs really.  No where in law have I ever read that the shooting of birds classed as a pests can not be shot at night with anything other than a shotgun.

If not then there are a lot of feral pigeon shooters in trouble!

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

I don't really get what the problem is. There are no time limits as to when you can and can not flight shoot a pond or coast line. There are some rules around shooting deer if I remember  correctly within  one hour of sunrise and sunset.

The rules are clear to me. The very fact electronic sighting devices and illuminated shooting is illegal means therefore it is NOT illegal to shoot at night with natural, if any, light. It could be argued an illuminated reticle is illegal but man you would be extremely unlucky if someone a; noticed and b; cared!

I understand why everything has to be covered because no doubt some fairy living in some imaginary dream world will go nuts but, will they know etc etc. The same if they slip on a goose turd will soon be claiming for injury!

Sensible logic, I like that!  :thumbs:

Nothing is ever simple, I didn't think it was a problem NIGHT shooting, but a senior guy on site said it was, so I said I would get it confirmed.

What a load of malarkey that has turned into!

19 minutes ago, Deker said:

Sensible logic, I like that!  :thumbs:

Nothing is ever simple, I didn't think it was a problem NIGHT shooting, but a senior guy on site said it was, so I said I would get it confirmed.

What a load of malarkey that has turned into!

And the senior guys is???? Does he have an agenda other than getting them gone????

Is he a barrister????

I would asked him to kindly supply the information in law to back his statement  but that's just me.

I'm airing towards " get someone else to sort the problem" opinion!

Sorry Deker.

14 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

And the senior guys is???? Does he have an agenda other than getting them gone????

Is he a barrister????

I would asked him to kindly supply the information in law to back his statement  but that's just me.

I'm airing towards " get someone else to sort the problem" opinion!

Sorry Deker.

It's a Great site to have on the CV, the bloke is the typical big shot who thinks he knows things but really doesn't have a clue!   

I get silly statements all the time from customers, but as I have never had to deal with Canada Geese at night before I thought I better double check.

Interestingly, I still have no confirmation back from NE or the BASC yet. :hmm:

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Deker said:

It's a Great site to have on the CV, the bloke is the typical big shot who thinks he knows things but really doesn't have a clue!   

I get silly statements all the time from customers, but as I have never had to deal with Canada Geese at night before I thought I better double check.

Interestingly, I still have no confirmation back from NE or the BASC yet. :hmm:

It’s starting to look like NOBODY knows for sure?

• Like 1

Part of reply just received from BASC...............

"I’ve spoken to a couple of colleagues and as long as the relevant General Licence you are controlling the Canada’s under is followed ............... you will be within the law." 

Obviously still rules about night shooting, artificial illumination, for instance, but seems NIGHT SHOOTING SPECIFICALLY is within the law.

:thumbs:

Edited by Deker
  • Like 3