Jump to content

Keeping a season


Recommended Posts

We’ve not had the best winter really 

tried hard and put the miles in on the rocks 

Towards end of March it was obvious where the 

cubs will be , or are .

we kept away , just to see what came of it .

been out this afternoon after work and two shallow earths dug.

dead vixen behind wall …. Milky

and another old dog dead …. This time on the footpath .

ffs … 

have I lost touch or do terrier lads still leave quarry alone to breed ?

Rant over 

ATB … TonyT

 

  • Like 3
Link to post

  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've had the privilege to work my dogs on some truly outstanding ground and in the best of company...would I f**k go back without an invite..not so long as I got a hole in my arse...lowest of the low👍

2nd week of February we pull the plug, I think myself its only right, in fairness people that hunt on into march are only killing there own sport. Keepers and such well they have a job to do and a vix

Keeping numbers down wasnt the point atall as they are shot and controlled by other means by myself we was simply out for a bit of sport as he was struggling to get any himself, i have plenty of help

Posted Images

1 hour ago, TonyT said:

We’ve not had the best winter really 

tried hard and put the miles in on the rocks 

Towards end of March it was obvious where the 

cubs will be , or are .

we kept away , just to see what came of it .

been out this afternoon after work and two shallow earths dug.

dead vixen behind wall …. Milky

and another old dog dead …. This time on the footpath .

ffs … 

have I lost touch or do terrier lads still leave quarry alone to breed ?

Rant over 

ATB … TonyT

 

Is it keepers? 

  • Like 1
Link to post

2nd week of February we pull the plug, I think myself its only right, in fairness people that hunt on into march are only killing there own sport. Keepers and such well they have a job to do and a vixen feeding cubs can do a lot of damage around pens but your ordinary terrier lad imo should show respect for the quarry he hunts. 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2
Link to post

It's not something I would personally go out of my way to do...but sometimes your called upon,and you do it so as not to rock the boat😔..I had a call off my Oldman earlier,just built a load of houses and student flats in Cardiff city centre,now they are clearing ground for a massive community allotments,he found a few holes and asked me to take a look,sent me the gate codes,had a mooch I found 3 good cubbing earths,lurcher marked them all...the Oldman will keep the machines away as long as is possible so she raises her cubs and moves on...growing up in his younger days he would of been itching to get them dug...you mellow with age,that ain't such a bad thing 😉👍DSC_1857.JPG.39d968182eff55be3e5b61951360c9fe.JPGDSC_1856.JPG.fee085f738105a7c16f64b235acba2e8.JPGDSC_1853.JPG.709ee9481b23a23caa02e2e5f9203afe.JPG

  • Like 6
Link to post
14 hours ago, Gypsydog94 said:

Is it keepers? 

No mate

going by the number of holes and state of

the backfill just young lads

shame as it has spoilt a good spot 

it won’t be used again for a while 

ATB Tony

Link to post
7 minutes ago, TonyT said:

No mate

going by the number of holes and state of

the backfill just young lads

shame as it has spoilt a good spot 

it won’t be used again for a while 

ATB Tony

Same around me, thankfully most are too f***ing lazy to dig to a terrier so most places are safe👍finally after yrs of dropping rabbits local,we have a decent head to go at..kids setting fire to all the bracken banks to get at the holes,and bumped into some teenagers last night, walking around a half X with no lips and one good eye,off out lamping cubs🙈..gave them some advice,but it won't make a difference...i will be pissed if I got to start travelling again next season for f***ing rabbits...not seen another soul over there all season..the summer airgunners are out in force shooting drummers😔👍DSC_1694.JPG.4414251f49a5eb0c10cf5e7d3f8a8626.JPGDSC_1691.JPG.d4dc17879bd4691c73f1d6ffcf3358f4.JPGDSC_1690.JPG.b898912f96df60813fd70107a332396c.JPG

  • Sad 1
Link to post
2 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Same around me, thankfully most are too f***ing lazy to dig to a terrier so most places are safe👍finally after yrs of dropping rabbits local,we have a decent head to go at..kids setting fire to all the bracken banks to get at the holes,and bumped into some teenagers last night, walking around a half X with no lips and one good eye,off out lamping cubs🙈..gave them some advice,but it won't make a difference...i will be pissed if I got to start travelling again next season for f***ing rabbits...not seen another soul over there all season..the summer airgunners are out in force shooting drummers😔👍DSC_1694.JPG.4414251f49a5eb0c10cf5e7d3f8a8626.JPGDSC_1691.JPG.d4dc17879bd4691c73f1d6ffcf3358f4.JPGDSC_1690.JPG.b898912f96df60813fd70107a332396c.JPG

On Facebook groups on fb. Rifle men proud there shooting milky vixens beacause there after lambs etc etc. I have two vixens here on farm I work on both mothering cubs. Haven’t had a issue with them this season so been Left in peace. See them most mornings picking up any afterbirth from the fields and any corvids I shoot. Looking forward ti watching them grow throughout the summer 

  • Like 7
  • Sad 1
Link to post
32 minutes ago, Gypsydog94 said:

On Facebook groups on fb. Rifle men proud there shooting milky vixens beacause there after lambs etc etc. I have two vixens here on farm I work on both mothering cubs. Haven’t had a issue with them this season so been Left in peace. See them most mornings picking up any afterbirth from the fields and any corvids I shoot. Looking forward ti watching them grow throughout the summer 

Can’t beat a good winter fox when it’s hardened

with the cold on its back

theres no good comes from killing cubs 

if they’re harming nowt 👍

roll on Autumn 

ATB … T

  • Like 2
Link to post

Went one May evening to check on a litter I'd been watching for a while and found them and the vixen dead on top of the earth, I went and seen the farmer and was told he'd chased a couple of men coming back from the earth earlier that day, the following autumn the No Hunting No Shooting signs went up and that was another bit of excellent permission lost to the fcukwits. 

Link to post
30 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

Went one May evening to check on a litter I'd been watching for a while and found them and the vixen dead on top of the earth, I went and seen the farmer and was told he'd chased a couple of men coming back from the earth earlier that day, the following autumn the No Hunting No Shooting signs went up and that was another bit of excellent permission lost to the fcukwits. 

Exactly my point DMD

ATB …. T

Link to post
2 minutes ago, TonyT said:

Exactly my point DMD

ATB …. T

I can't understand the mind-set of those kind of lads. 

Up until that point that one farm had given us a lot of work for our terriers and in a way still does because the few cubbing earth's are safe year round now, it's just the earth's on the neighbouring farms are all about 4 foot deeper than the 2 footers we'd get there and that's to deep for the fcukwits to dig. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
53 minutes ago, fireman said:

We left a litter alone on a shoot i have permission on,they were not doing any harm as such,the local hunt terrier man has dug them on the sly...

I know a terrierman that rears most the cubs he has to shift, all put in a large pen and kept as wild as possible and released when he thinks they can fend for themselves. 

  • Like 2
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...