Hawswater Golden Eagles..

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And had a good few with air rifle ,gardens a no fly zone now ,they give it a wide berth 

A mount i got done by a local lady(who's also easy on the eye) for a keeper i know who found it when we were out hole checking one day,cock blackbird..

Going to make a head dress out of them when I've enough !

Posted Images

Remember seeing a golden eagle in the lakes about 26-27 years ago. Can’t for the life of me remember exactly where we were though.

There used to be a great bird of prey sanctuary near Kielder. Went a couple of times, the bloke was really informative.

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, mackem said:

The originals supposedly came from Shepperton studios Dan, I have a place about 5 miles from the studios, there's thousands of them in the area. post-1930-0-38260600-1474394764_thumb.jpegpost-1930-0-83195000-1497107114_thumb.jpg

Few up this way now as well, hoppings field has them on 

4 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

I might of worked this out wrong...... But 800,000 for 133 cases, that's over 6 grand a case? Surely even stuffed BOP aren't worth that

That's right, I just looked through the collection again, it's unique, there probably isn't a private BOP collection like it in the UK, how to price it? It's the value the owner or his estate place on it, I am sure there would be a little wiggle room,there's a saker falcon that I think going off the birds history was owned by jemima parry Jones. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, mackem said:

He did, Mike Gadd, mounted a number of the specimens in the collection. 

I have found dozens of nests, thousands of the birds in Surrey, roosts of a couple of thousand birds. 

IMG_20220418_194008.jpg

IMG_20220418_194048.jpg

He’s a top bloke Mr Gadd, have had the pleasure of looking round his house on a few occasions, like a kid in a sweetshop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, mackem said:

That's right, I just looked through the collection again, it's unique, there probably isn't a private BOP collection like it in the UK, how to price it? It's the value the owner or his estate place on it, I am sure there would be a little wiggle room,there's a saker falcon that I think going off the birds history was owned by jemima parry Jones. 

Found a dead Saker a few years ago. It was ringed and i got in contact with the owner.  He wasn’t interested in the carcass at all but was adamant he wanted the bell back off the jesses......

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, bell said:

He’s a top bloke Mr Gadd, have had the pleasure of looking round his house on a few occasions, like a kid in a sweetshop.

Yeah. I saw an interview with him, once. Must say; For the (Probably) undisputed God of BOP Taxidermy, he did come across as a really nice bloke. Very self effacing.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Yeah. I saw an interview with him, once. Must say; For the (Probably) undisputed God of BOP Taxidermy, he did come across as a really nice bloke. Very self effacing.

Yes, a clever chap aswell......was trying to do something magic with magnets inside a swallow that held the bird seemingly unsupported in mid air drinking over water !!!!!

3 hours ago, bell said:

How did you wangle that invite mate? Was his collection how you imagined? 

6 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Watched something a few yrs back where they was setting explosive charges in the trees they use to roost in?

You can shoot them now mate, think Walt had a pic of one he shot with his catty, apparently they are having a negative effect on native birds that nest in tree holes as they just take over every one ??

7 hours ago, mackem said:

The originals supposedly came from Shepperton studios Dan, I have a place about 5 miles from the studios, there's thousands of them in the area. post-1930-0-38260600-1474394764_thumb.jpegpost-1930-0-83195000-1497107114_thumb.jpg

Rumour is the movie African queen with Humphrey bogart was were they originated, bit less carefull back in the day what we allowed in ?

1 minute ago, Greyman said:

Rumour is the movie African queen with Humphrey bogart was were they originated, bit less carefull back in the day what we allowed in ?

Yup, that's the local rumour,one part was filmed on sunbury cut, a backwater of the Thames that's half a mile from where I lived.