Best lamp.

What’s the best type of lamp for lamping rabbits, my son has bought a nice dog (collie x beddy x greyhound) and wants to go lamping. I used to use to old Clulite lamp but it hasn’t been charged for years and doesn’t work anymore. Are these new tactical torches any good, they would be very handy and lightweight, they come with a choice of zoom or wide beam and claim to put out over a 1000 lumens. Some can have red or green filters.......are these colour filters less frightening to the rabbit that’s being lamped ?

1 hour ago, burrowman said:

What’s the best type of lamp for lamping rabbits, my son has bought a nice dog (collie x beddy x greyhound) and wants to go lamping. I used to use to old Clulite lamp but it hasn’t been charged for years and doesn’t work anymore. Are these new tactical torches any good, they would be very handy and lightweight, they come with a choice of zoom or wide beam and claim to put out over a 1000 lumens. Some can have red or green filters.......are these colour filters less frightening to the rabbit that’s being lamped ?

Corles 

Your have hard job spotting some stuff in stubble or grass with they led lamps compared to halogen. But them led are hard to beat for convenience. 

ive a halogen striker and 22 amp battery for sale at the moment. 200 quid. 

• Like 2

I have spent a couple of hours now trawling through previous post about lamps and it seems to be old halogen lamps versus new led lamps. The area I live in has unfortunately had a lot of houses built since I last lamped so I need a lamp that throws the least amount of light when I flick over the field but when I spot one I need a small powerful spot for the chase. I know this is a tall order but there is no true remote places to lamp within 60 miles of me so I have to sneak around like a criminal. Also are the red/green filters a good idea 

53 minutes ago, burrowman said:

I have spent a couple of hours now trawling through previous post about lamps and it seems to be old halogen lamps versus new led lamps. The area I live in has unfortunately had a lot of houses built since I last lamped so I need a lamp that throws the least amount of light when I flick over the field but when I spot one I need a small powerful spot for the chase. I know this is a tall order but there is no true remote places to lamp within 60 miles of me so I have to sneak around like a criminal. Also are the red/green filters a good idea 

U want 1 of the variable uns lad 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, burrowman said:

later you go the better once everyone is fast a kip you will be fine mate 

• Like 1

This is a collection of night vision gear that I have used over the last couple of years before I started using thermal. That said, I still often use the simple torch mounted on a rifle as I like simplicity.

NVGear.jpg.39a502e64bc6aea82d409ad4b6ba5376.jpg

I regularly go spotting bunnies with just red light attached to the scope as in this following picture

Mounted.jpg.4d6de15c83a5e7a46417c1ac3b198b3f.jpg

The torch attached here is a Convoy C8+ in Red beam. It is second from the left in the top picture. In good weather I use it regularly to shoot possums, rabbits and hares out to 150 meters. They cost about $70 in New Zealand which equates to about UK 36 pound.

The first torch on the left shown in the top picture is a Convoy L21B. Again bought in New Zealand for $90 or UK 46 pound.

This throws a red beam out past 200 meters. Last night I was using it to take possums and hares the furthest shot out to 164 meters. Also used it to take a pig at 159 meters last night. The furthest I have ever used it was on a Red yearling at 305 meters. It sits on the rifle using the same mount as pictured above.

Both these torches can be purchased from Aliexpress for around $US20

Hope that might be helpful.

Cheers

Phil

6 hours ago, burrowman said:

Thanks Dytkos I will look into an led with red filter.

Black neck when u say a “variable one” is that an led or a halogen ?

Well halogen for me like ,just means u ain't got have it on full power all the time 

10 hours ago, burrowman said:

Thanks Dytkos I will look into an led with red filter.

Black neck when u say a “variable one” is that an led or a halogen ?

I use the same and would vouch for it. You can narrow the beam by turning the reflector and turn the power down 'til it's almost off. That's good for getting through hedges and so on.

When you want to scan a field you can turn the power up a small bit. When the dog's almost on the quarry you up the brightness again to what you need for the run.

Don't forget to keep the light out of the dog's eyes but in the rabbits and move the spot from side to side as they approach cover. It's not rocket science.

Edited by Maximus Ferret
7 hours ago, PhilH said:

This is a collection of night vision gear that I have used over the last couple of years before I started using thermal. That said, I still often use the simple torch mounted on a rifle as I like simplicity.

NVGear.jpg.39a502e64bc6aea82d409ad4b6ba5376.jpg

I regularly go spotting bunnies with just red light attached to the scope as in this following picture

Mounted.jpg.4d6de15c83a5e7a46417c1ac3b198b3f.jpg

The torch attached here is a Convoy C8+ in Red beam. It is second from the left in the top picture. In good weather I use it regularly to shoot possums, rabbits and hares out to 150 meters. They cost about $70 in New Zealand which equates to about UK 36 pound.

The first torch on the left shown in the top picture is a Convoy L21B. Again bought in New Zealand for $90 or UK 46 pound.

This throws a red beam out past 200 meters. Last night I was using it to take possums and hares the furthest shot out to 164 meters. Also used it to take a pig at 159 meters last night. The furthest I have ever used it was on a Red yearling at 305 meters. It sits on the rifle using the same mount as pictured above.

Both these torches can be purchased from Aliexpress for around $US20

Hope that might be helpful.

Cheers

Phil

I find your post sickening 

• Like 1