204 in decline??

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Never ceases to amaze me why folk in the UK buy heavey barrels. Give me a light weight barrel anyway. After all, I'm not shooting hundreds of prairie dogs!

I have no horse in this contest but I guarantee in a head to head predetermined walk on my patch I will shoot more vermin with my hmr than someone lugging a heavy rifle around in any caliber! The

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, David.evans said:

I was going to get mine done , just cause it looks nice , but where I enquired they would not flute a factory barrel ?

People do out for cash oop

north Dave 

he said I could have it done all sorts of ways, twisted or checkered it’s all done on a cnc machine. 

Edited by si brown
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

As a foxing calibre i don't think the 204 can be beaten and i have tried the chav calibre and 243. A chap i know is looking for a tikka supervarmint in 204 but is struggling. I advised him to buy a donor tikka rifle in either the chavs calibre or the old mans 222 and take it to Brock and Norris for a rebarrel to whatever spec he wants, so that is what he is doing. I have a lifetimes supply of powder and bullets so that is no problem. There are loads of lads in these parts that got rid of their chav calibres and bought 204s and use factory stuff and plenty of it so if it is still selling well i cannot see importers not importing it. Oh! and i would rather get another lurcher than a Howa.

Edited by ianm
  • Like 2
10 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Never ceases to amaze me why folk in the UK buy heavey barrels.

Give me a light weight barrel anyway. After all, I'm not shooting hundreds of prairie dogs!

Totally agree, all mine are LIGHT (or at least NOT heavy barrel) and for field work do me just fine! :thumbs:

Each to their own, I have a pal who lugs around a real heavy Sako and thinks I'm the twit, such is life!

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, ianm said:

As a foxing calibre i don't think the 204 can be beaten and i have tried the chav calibre and 243. A chap i know is looking for a tikka supervarmint in 204 but is struggling. I advised him to buy a donor tikka rifle in either the chavs calibre or the old mans 222 and take it to Brock and Norris for a rebarrel to whatever spec he wants, so that is what he is doing. I have a lifetimes supply of powder and bullets so that is no problem. There are loads of lads in these parts that got rid of their chav calibres and bought 204s and use factory stuff and plenty of it so if it is still selling well i cannot see importers not importing it. Oh! and i would rather get another lurcher than a Howa.

I can't agree with that, for close range almost any rimfire is excellent, then the Hornets and then the classic .222/.223 (even the .204), longer range the .243 is superb.

I simply don't agree there is a single perfect fox calibre, and the .204 is the only calibre I have ever seen splash on a fox, so that didn't impress me much.

There are certainly a few .204 about, and it has a following, so it must be doing something right, but it has never been a major contender in the UK.

As always, each to their own and their requirements! 

:thumbs:

I have no horse in this contest but I guarantee in a head to head predetermined walk on my patch I will shoot more vermin with my hmr than someone lugging a heavy rifle around in any caliber!

There is no best caliber,  they all work. Its just the ones with longer legs increase pressure to perform on the user and certainly increase pressure on his wallet because now he needs a higher spec moderator and then a higher speck scope, then higher spec NV, then some kind of trolly to carry it etc etc. Just gets a little bit daft after a while. 

My last two fox were under 100yds with a rifle I didn't know I was carrying! It was a joy to be out on foot, in day light.

On the hinds near Ben More over a decade ago with a group of stalkers all using heavier rifles than my Howa made Weatherby vanguard in 243 and a pencil thin barrel took the most deer that week! They were using a vehicle to find deer, I was only using a vehicle to retrieve deer!

I'm done.

• Like 4
10 hours ago, David.evans said:

If you can mate pm , his address ?

This is his website Dave, he’s a real nice bloke… spent hours gassin to him, he’s into deer stalking big time?

WWW.STEVEKERSHAWFIREARMS.CO.UK

Welcome to the Steve Kershaw Firearms website. Here you will find comprehensive information...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Sausagedog said:

I have no horse in this contest but I guarantee in a head to head predetermined walk on my patch I will shoot more vermin with my hmr than someone lugging a heavy rifle around in any caliber!

There is no best caliber,  they all work. Its just the ones with longer legs increase pressure to perform on the user and certainly increase pressure on his wallet because now he needs a higher spec moderator and then a higher speck scope, then higher spec NV, then some kind of trolly to carry it etc etc. Just gets a little bit daft after a while. 

My last two fox were under 100yds with a rifle I didn't know I was carrying! It was a joy to be out on foot, in day light.

On the hinds near Ben More over a decade ago with a group of stalkers all using heavier rifles than my Howa made Weatherby vanguard in 243 and a pencil thin barrel took the most deer that week! They were using a vehicle to find deer, I was only using a vehicle to retrieve deer!

I'm done.

im in agreement about lugging a heavy gun about sd.. and if I ever burn this thing out ill be getting it re barrelled with a mid profile barrel!

but until I get me shoulder fixed this ticks the boxes, I can't shoot freehand any more cos it just clunks and grinds when shouldered hence if I ever put a photo up theres always quad stix in the background... 

like you said a lot of foxs are taken between 40 and 100 yard but if theres a shot to be taken at about 250 I have full confidence ill drop what ever im shooting at. 

regarding gun snobbery.. you'd have to fight me to get me to part with my bargain Bergara, that's not the lightest either but a joy to use and ive full confidence in it when taking a shot. 

2 hours ago, Deker said:

I can't agree with that, for close range almost any rimfire is excellent, then the Hornets and then the classic .222/.223 (even the .204), longer range the .243 is superb.

I simply don't agree there is a single perfect fox calibre, and the .204 is the only calibre I have ever seen splash on a fox, so that didn't impress me much.

There are certainly a few .204 about, and it has a following, so it must be doing something right, but it has never been a major contender in the UK.

got given the remainder of the previous owners ammo with the .204- 70ish rounds of 40gn vmax... had 3 splash runners and just shot the rest off for brass!

started loading 32gn nosler bt and mega accurate and no more runners   :thumbs:

• Like 2
2 hours ago, si brown said:

like you said a lot of foxs are taken between 40 and 100 yard but if theres a shot to be taken at about 250 I have full confidence ill drop what ever im shooting at. 

Yep, my 222's use to take them at 250 regularly to. Light barrels.

A work colleague just got 6.5 creedmore ruger precision rifle.

Had him over to test it. The whole rig must be approaching 18lbs! He bought it to stalk roe!! Not going to happen!

I did manage to shoot it off hand at 200yds and hit the target but it was very difficult. 

Hate to say it but it shot no different to all my lighter cf rifles except 22 hornet and 17 Remington to 600yds.

5 hours ago, Deker said:

I don't care whether you agree or not, or anyone else for that matter. When you have shot several hundred foxes with a 204 come back with a valid opinion till then it would be best if you kept your ignorance to yourself.

16 hours ago, Sausagedog said:

Never ceases to amaze me why folk in the UK buy heavey barrels.

Give me a light weight barrel anyway. After all, I'm not shooting hundreds of prairie dogs!

Choice is why! luckily we still live in a country where individual choice is still allowed without being dictated to what we should or shouldn't buy.

• Like 1