Canaries nesting

25 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Get a load a good food into them an let mature take it’s course, you tested under you pans an that? ? get prepared cos it will get busy later on ?

Tested under pans? 

She's sat on nest now as it's going dark. I'm giving them plenty good food, lots of greens 

Edited by DIDO.1
6 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Meant treated, it’s a hot bed for mites an stuff so can sprinkle some powder in the pan under the felt?

No I haven't. I'll put a puff of powder in bottom of nest if she's not laid in morning. I can use diameteus earth in bottom I reckon. 

Is there any sprays that you can use direct on the birds these days? 

If she's on it tonight look for an egg in the morning or just leave them to it and they'll be ok.  You can normally tell by looking at a hen in the afternoon when she's going to lay in the morning as the back end is bulging.

Give them egg food, petit poi's and broccoli and they will be fine.

10 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Not now they breeding j wouldn’t mate, some de under pans an keep your eyes peeled be best bet, without sounding shitty tho, just don’t build your hopes up for a good first year pal, it’s usually a big learning curve an folk that get it bang on are usually lucky ? it’s hard enough to get good years every year when you been at it a whilst so just hope for the best an accept anything that happens as a bonus ?

Yeah I get that. I rushed into getting the birds like I always do....i should of got the flight lined and painted first among other things. I should of started with better stock. It is what it is.... Over the summer I'll get better set up, finish the avairy, get a couple of breeder cages in etc. I'm only playing at it really, as long as they look nice in the avairy alls good ?

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, gnipper said:

If she's on it tonight look for an egg in the morning or just leave them to it and they'll be ok.  You can normally tell by looking at a hen in the afternoon when she's going to lay in the morning as the back end is bulging.

Give them egg food, petit poi's and broccoli and they will be fine.

Yeah that's what they are getting ??

No they are getting the right stuff....i even left the pigeons food ready measured out when I went away so she couldn't over feed em ?

I've got two rollers sat on some white racer eggs at the minute, they are the only two that don't roll (I reckon one was a feral Gnipper caught with his pouters). I can't bring myself to kill em so I've found em a job ?

• Like 1

Are the eggs a similar time now mate or are you risking it? I've had 2 pouters hatch yesterday and today I'm looking forward to seeing how these turn out. Might let them rear another pair straight after too then I'm done breeding for the year. Concentrate on my mules then. 

1 hour ago, DIDO.1 said:

Tested under pans? 

She's sat on nest now as it's going dark. I'm giving them plenty good food, lots of greens 

Best thing for nest pans is carbolic soap an multi mite on the top of the nest pans an front line the birds - the spray bottle plus a product called s76. I've not had mite for 6 seasons since using that s76 with the front line spray. Don't get any nest materials from out side. Your just asking for nasties mate. It's cheap enough from companies on line like Essex birds. Jackie she's a good woman an if you buy products off them all the time you get a loyalty gift which is some perle morbide. It's the real deal perle morbide not the cheap run down shite 

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Are the eggs a similar time now mate or are you risking it? I've had 2 pouters hatch yesterday and today I'm looking forward to seeing how these turn out. Might let them rear another pair straight after too then I'm done breeding for the year. Concentrate on my mules then. 

Yeah they were only 3/4 days different which I think they reckon is close enough. 

• Like 1