I've seen a few on here keeping sheep (vrf400boy I've met before for ferrets but lost No) and wondered how 'easy' it is and what you get out of it...obviously meat, but how long do you keep them for mest and do you have them sheared for wool etc? Is there any/many pitfalls you have found?

I have a couple acres of grass land that fringes a pond which I'm told by a farmer friend is acceptable to be classed as drinking water for livestock so I wouldnt need to worry about taking 'fresh' water up all time. I was going to get some sheep then my farmer friend said "don't bother, all sheep do is spend all day thinking of another way to commit suicide, they are a f**king nightmare" 

I had this idea that they would keep the grass down for me over summer and then I could have em butchered and fill the freezer Win win...any thoughts or advice?

• Like 1

unless you have 100 % secure fencing mate then i wouldnt give yourself the headache ? your phone will constantly be ringing saying they are wandering the road. honestly mate make sure they cant escape before even thinking about it thats my biggest bit of advise because it does become a headache when they are always out the otherside of the fence, apart from that mate then just shear them once a year but if you looking to eat them then they will not get to the age for the need of shearing just clipping before slaughter. and yes a sheep aim in life is to find ways to die mate hence ? escaping, but if its secure ground and they are well cared for then not much harm will come. they are nice to have around and will keep the grass down real good but beware you need enough to keep them going as it runs out quick and will become expensive quickly if you have to find more/ substitute it, i have a small flock at home just for the grass keeping and the odd lamb each year for the freezer and i enjoy them 

atb BT

• Like 1

Pigs are soooooo much easier than sheep for a small holder / hobbyist - that said sheep are very rewarding and tasty.

There is a fair amount of work involved with sheep & as already said the grass will no doubt run out and then you’ve got to move or feed. A good way to start/try is to find someone who’s got a few and offer your land for grazing then watch & see how things go.

• Like 1

I'd go talk to some local farmers and see if you can buy 4 or 5 weand lambs and run them on until September,  

They is no profit in them as every thing is set up for the big boys , you will need to worm them amd treat for flys , you won't need to shear them just send them off to be killed , I look at it if I can get a full lamb in the freezer for my self and sell the rest to pay for it 

• Like 1
56 minutes ago, ZacB said:

Pigs are soooooo much easier than sheep for a small holder / hobbyist - that said sheep are very rewarding and tasty.

There is a fair amount of work involved with sheep & as already said the grass will no doubt run out and then you’ve got to move or feed. A good way to start/try is to find someone who’s got a few and offer your land for grazing then watch & see how things go.

I'm thinking of having some pigs aswell but I don't want the ground destroying so they will be penned into a smaller area. The grassed area last year I was taking ride on mower down every weekend so was thinking if I can get a couple of sheep they will graze it, save me a job and then I get some meat at the end of summer.

1 hour ago, BIG TOM said:

unless you have 100 % secure fencing mate then i wouldnt give yourself the headache ? your phone will constantly be ringing saying they are wandering the road. honestly mate make sure they cant escape before even thinking about it thats my biggest bit of advise because it does become a headache when they are always out the otherside of the fence, apart from that mate then just shear them once a year but if you looking to eat them then they will not get to the age for the need of shearing just clipping before slaughter. and yes a sheep aim in life is to find ways to die mate hence ? escaping, but if its secure ground and they are well cared for then not much harm will come. they are nice to have around and will keep the grass down real good but beware you need enough to keep them going as it runs out quick and will become expensive quickly if you have to find more/ substitute it, i have a small flock at home just for the grass keeping and the odd lamb each year for the freezer and i enjoy them 

atb BT

Was only thinking of getting a couple. The plot is 4.5acres with a 2.5acre pond so couple acres to go at for them. Would that be enough for 2 sheep without running short? This is the main part, pic taken in winter.....

Screenshot_20220411-073509_Gallery.jpg

• Like 1
Just now, ryaldinhio said:

Was only thinking of getting a couple. The plot is 4.5acres with a 2.5acre pond so couple acres to go at for them. Would that be enough for 2 sheep without running short? This is the main part, pic taken in winter.....

Screenshot_20220411-073509_Gallery.jpg

would be plenty for 2 mate if your looking at only 2 then id have no worries atall with what yo have ?

• Like 1

As long has you can except there’s no money in a few sheep and that it’s a nice hobby then I would get some and enjoy them. Depending on quality of pasture I think it’s between 2 and 5 ewes per acre so 2 will be plenty under stocked on your 2 or so acres. I’ve just taken on just over 2 acres of land with a small pond on myself. I took the ground on in February this year brought 6 inlamb ewes scanned with 5 singles and a twin. 1 ewe has aborted I’ve got 2 left to lamb but got 4 healthy lambs so far out of the others. Basically as far as I am concerned it’s a nice hobby and hopefully gets my young children a bit of interest in out door stuff. The price I get for the lambs will go towards rent and 1 will fill the freezer.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, trigger2 said:

As long has you can except there’s no money in a few sheep and that it’s a nice hobby then I would get some and enjoy them. Depending on quality of pasture I think it’s between 2 and 5 ewes per acre so 2 will be plenty under stocked on your 2 or so acres. I’ve just taken on just over 2 acres of land with a small pond on myself. I took the ground on in February this year brought 6 inlamb ewes scanned with 5 singles and a twin. 1 ewe has aborted I’ve got 2 left to lamb but got 4 healthy lambs so far out of the others. Basically as far as I am concerned it’s a nice hobby and hopefully gets my young children a bit of interest in out door stuff. The price I get for the lambs will go towards rent and 1 will fill the freezer.

Yeah that was the plan. Not expecting to make any money, if anything probably cost a bit, but it is something the kids will get involved in. Plus it saves me taking mower down there every week and burning 20quid in petrol. At the end get freezer full of meat. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

I honestly stopped reading when I saw you had already been told they are manic depressants who just try an die, well take that advice mate,  get some young bulls or summat an fatten then up for veal or some pigs, be much easier than playin the Samaritan all time rescuing your dopey sheep ???

no offence to any baby sitters, I mean shepherds ?

I didn't wanna go for cattle or pigs because I didn't want to damage the ground too much. That's why I was considering sheep or maybe goats. Just a light grazer really. I do fancy some pigs but they will be penned in a smaller section where some brambles need knocking back.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

I didn't wanna go for cattle or pigs because I didn't want to damage the ground too much. That's why I was considering sheep or maybe goats. Just a light grazer really. I do fancy some pigs but they will be penned in a smaller section where some brambles need knocking back.

I think goats take a bit of keeping in, also the bloody things will eat hedge rows like they are going out of fashion. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, trigger2 said:

I think goats take a bit of keeping in, also the bloody things will eat hedge rows like they are going out of fashion. 

A farmer friend of mine I used to do work for and ferret his ground keeps goats they f****d all the hedges. Mine made it easy for us getting into all the holes.

910501941_IMG_56023.JPG.16fa8de45e1c99ccae7c1e8296f817d0.JPG

Cheers Arry

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

My missus has always has a few ewes round the yard and loves the whole lambing thing. The odd one dies of f**k knows what but they reproduce quick enough to keep up and put lamb in the freezer. I had 10 on my place last year and they were a doddle, just kept them over the summer and killed them in the late autumn. Zero maintenance. Only thing I'd do different is bucket train them. Mine were totally feral and impossible to catch, had to resort to the .22 in the end. I currently have a mate grazing eighty ewes plus lambs on mine and its even better, he does the checking, they do the mowing and I still get some meat for the freezer at the end

• Like 1