Jimny engine life?

As above. Has anyone any idea how long a Jimny engine lasts?

I've heard of the odd one dying early from transmission and engine failure but in general what sort of milages have people managed befor e the engine  breaks ,wears out or  fails the emissions test?

Edited by comanche

5 hours ago, dytkos said:

I had 115k on my last one before I wrote it off and was still going strong ? it's usually welding needed under the back seats that sees them off. HTH

Cheers, D.

Mine is coming up to 140,000 miles and with half an exhaust and a couple of suspension bushes will pass another MOT .  Oh and the horn buttons were'nt working . On dismantling them l discovered the contacts were clogged with dog hair?

If it had needed anything really expensive though l might've baulked at throwing too much money at it.

Hence l was curious how much more life l could expect from the engine. 

You are right about the boot floors dytkos. Mine luckily isn't  too bad but you can sniff the rust in the air waiting to pounce. It's  had a plate round one seat belt mounting and another in the jack well. The metal is horribly thin though ,needs a Zen-like approach to welding .

The old Vitaras were the same.

?

Edited by comanche

all down to service history and how you drive it, treat it well and the engine will far outlast the body, shame no one ever came out with a kit car body for them, bet loads ended up in scapyards with perfect mechanical systems

• Like 1
2 hours ago, dytkos said:

Suzuki engines are bombproof if you keep them sevices up. ?

Cheers, D.

petrol engines are, diesels not so much, 1.3 is fiat lump built in india, 1.9 is renault shit and the 2.0 is a pug engine, been out of it for 5 years now so don`t know if it`s improoved but with more and more emissions regs I doubt if they have got any better

• Like 1
11 hours ago, neil82 said:

all down to service history and how you drive it, treat it well and the engine will far outlast the body, shame no one ever came out with a kit car body for them, bet loads ended up in scapyards with perfect mechanical systems

Not sure about many ending up in scrap yards with good engines. I think most MOT failures get snapped-up and butchered for off road use. 

I think Suzuki missed a trick by not offering an option of  road going gear ratios . Even coupled with the 4x4 trans it would've been more economical and quite adequate for a lot of driver's needs.  

• Like 1