54 minutes ago, Lenmcharristar said:

Or a big farm goose

Big, shitty things, mate. Just don't appeal to me, to be honest.

Also, as iron would have it; I'm given to understand ye can't tell a goose where to sleep either? I read they'll decide where to go, at night, despite ye best efforts.

Come to think of it? Shitting all over in my outbuildings? Nah!

Thanks, anyway.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why complicate things ? Keep the guinea fowl enclosed and feed them at the same time every day until they start coming to to you at feed time, and they are "hanted" as we say up here, just like h

We keep gleanies,  I love them, they are brain dead, hysterical, noisy, ruthless,  comical little dinosaurs.  As I sit here now I have 38 eggs in the incubator that went in yesterday . When they are k

I’ve been to Jamaica a few times and I love tree frogs sitting there nice and warm a few beers a rum chaser listening to this there’s not much finer things in life I believe but then I am easily pleas

Posted Images

We keep gleanies,  I love them, they are brain dead, hysterical, noisy, ruthless,  comical little dinosaurs.  As I sit here now I have 38 eggs in the incubator that went in yesterday . When they are keets they try to kill themselves in the most ingenious ways.

If you can get them to live longer than tgat they stick around,  mine roost in the same pear tree every night in the chicken pen they grow up in. Strangely kat year o put a few of our hen eggs in to fill up the incubator,  those hens roost up there too thinking that's what they are supposed to do ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
39 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Is it a food source your trying to establish ,Ken?

No, mate. As I was saying to Drifter; I just want something of interest' round here. There's practically nothing here but grass.

Again, without wanting to get drawn into writing an essay, just to explain myself ~ then get blamed of droning on! :wallbash:.....

I've grown ever more deaf, with age. Now, I'm effectively " Fukking Death! ". I can't really hear shit any more. Certainly not the sounds of nature.

I also don't go anywhere, any more. See? I literally don't leave my compound. (I'm like fukking Hess! :laugh:) So, my only stimulus is visual now.

I'm Murder with my eyes! I can catch a mouse blinking at fifty yards! Can't see a book on my lap. But, the slightest little movement, anywhere, and my head snaps round!

So, think about it: I'm here. Trapped in my own little island. Peering out at ..... what? Fukk all! Grass, pretty much, as far as the eye can see. And there's fukk all of any interest going on in it. Nothing to catch my eye and make me smile.

Rabbits would be great. GF, roaming the meadow, in full view and unafraid, would be fukking fantastic! Something to lean on the gate and look at. Yeah? :)

I mean, ok. Chickens could probably do that? It's just that they'd want locking up at night. Guineas would fukk off up into the trees. And, quite simply; I've always had a simple fascination for GF. I like them. Now, I realise, they're a bucket list thing.

• Like 1

@sandymere Thankyou! That's exactly what I was trying to get to! (Probably what Charts was thinking of. Only you've spelled it out for me :good:)

So; " Hatchlings ". What are we talking here, please? I guess to really doesn't matter that much? Day olds need a brooder set up. So would, what? Six or eight weeks? Will it still work, if I bring home poults?

Brooders I can do. Been there. Done that. Got an empty room that'd be ideal for it. No problemmo.

Then what? Keep them in that room till they're recognisably what they're supposed to be. Then chuck them over the fence?

• Like 1

@mole trapper I  fukking hate you!!! :boogy:You've 'got it', see?! Exactly what I want around me! :D

Now; Incubators. Scare me to death! I've seen all this shit about turning them. Moisture contents. Scary shit like that. I'm happy with a brooder, because I've worked with them. But, I never had anything to do with the incubators. And they were massive, self regulating monsters anyway.

What If I could get my hands on some eggs? (Again, this mental block, ye see? I have in mind this woman who does all sorts. If she can sell me keets, I'm damn sure she can get me eggs! I just don't Think like that)

Could ye perhaps guide me here, please? What's an incubator that'd not be a let me down piece of shit. Without getting into the realms of a Bristol?

Price doesn't really scare me. I'll pay what they cost. I just don't want to go for a de luxe, all singing, all dancing model. To use it Once! But, nor do I want some plastic bowl, simply Made to show children how shit dies :rolleyes:

Tell me; Is there a time scale on this thing? Winter's out, obviously. But, what's the given season for this shit, please? I might have to start putting feelers out 8)

@sid g Ducks need water (And shit everywhere). Pigeons have just never really gripped me, in honesty. Though I do really like seeing my couple of collared doves. And I fukking Love my couple of woodpigeons.

But, they're just local Wild birds. Oddly, while I don't ever expect to lay a hand on these guineas again, once they're out there; They'd still be 'mine'. If that makes sense? :)

58 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

@sandymere Thankyou! That's exactly what I was trying to get to! (Probably what Charts was thinking of. Only you've spelled it out for me :good:)

So; " Hatchlings ". What are we talking here, please? I guess to really doesn't matter that much? Day olds need a brooder set up. So would, what? Six or eight weeks? Will it still work, if I bring home poults?

Brooders I can do. Been there. Done that. Got an empty room that'd be ideal for it. No problemmo.

Then what? Keep them in that room till they're recognisably what they're supposed to be. Then chuck them over the fence?

You want them to see where they live as they grow so they know home and get used to being fed there regularly and so have another reason to keep coming back. So a wired run  before release for a month or so, then open the run but continue to feed them there. You can take the run down as long as they have safe roosts. If no trees they may choose your roof and they wake early and noisily lol.

We had permo in N.Wales, in the 80s, farmer kept Guinea fowl, always gave us a brace at Xmas, and a dozen eggs every time we dug a fox.

R.I.P. RT, proper farmer.

D. Reminiscing.?

1 hour ago, Ken's Deputy said:

@mole trapper I  fukking hate you!!! :boogy:You've 'got it', see?! Exactly what I want around me! :D

Now; Incubators. Scare me to death! I've seen all this shit about turning them. Moisture contents. Scary shit like that. I'm happy with a brooder, because I've worked with them. But, I never had anything to do with the incubators. And they were massive, self regulating monsters anyway.

What If I could get my hands on some eggs? (Again, this mental block, ye see? I have in mind this woman who does all sorts. If she can sell me keets, I'm damn sure she can get me eggs! I just don't Think like that)

Could ye perhaps guide me here, please? What's an incubator that'd not be a let me down piece of shit. Without getting into the realms of a Bristol?

Price doesn't really scare me. I'll pay what they cost. I just don't want to go for a de luxe, all singing, all dancing model. To use it Once! But, nor do I want some plastic bowl, simply Made to show children how shit dies :rolleyes:

Tell me; Is there a time scale on this thing? Winter's out, obviously. But, what's the given season for this shit, please? I might have to start putting feelers out 8)

I will pm you.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Cheap old English game fowl and let them go feral?

Modern English Game are the ones I'd kill for, mate! SDW! Christ, I Love the look of those fukking things! :icon_eek: I'd have them in my living room!

Silver / Black Laced Wyandotte too. When I was thinking of getting some chickens, for amusement, I fell in love with the look of them too. Such pretty birds :)

But, again see? It's that case of 'Trust me on this. Don't make me write a tomb to explain the reasoning behind what I Know.' I.e; The only place I can put hens is outside my compound, where the Dogs can't get them.

But, the physical logistics (Hedge!) means I'll never see them, without physically going out there! (See earlier post! *Ding!!!* See? All that I say makes perfect sense, if ye trust me to have filled in the obvious spaces :good:

Now, GF, running about the place? I can look Over the gate / hedge and see them out on the meadow :)

• Like 1