Is it just about impossible to let them go, unless they were hatched and reared in that spot? Even keets, brought in, raised up and let go will fukk straight off, never to be seen again? That right?

Really love to have some about the place. Wouldn't know where to start, making them from eggs, though.

Guinea Pigs, funnily enough, I'd like too. Mustn't though. Keep a colony indoors and it'd only be a matter of time before shit happened and I witnessed something akin to a Rat Pit :(

I'd like to let them go too. But, I'd simply be feeding the foxes live food. Rabbits are still a notion. Let them go. At least these are things I could get my hands on. Fukking toads are proving a bit nebulous, once more, aren't they? :wallbash:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Why complicate things ? Keep the guinea fowl enclosed and feed them at the same time every day until they start coming to to you at feed time, and they are "hanted" as we say up here, just like h

We keep gleanies,  I love them, they are brain dead, hysterical, noisy, ruthless,  comical little dinosaurs.  As I sit here now I have 38 eggs in the incubator that went in yesterday . When they are k

I’ve been to Jamaica a few times and I love tree frogs sitting there nice and warm a few beers a rum chaser listening to this there’s not much finer things in life I believe but then I am easily pleas

Posted Images

There's a few folk local to me with them,best guards there are as nothing with shut the noisey feckers up once they start and the ones iv'e seen regular are free roaming about smallholdings,large gardens as such and they do taste good like mackem says but i wouldn't ruin them in a curry like he says..:laugh:..

• Haha 1

When I lived in Coniston, the farm on the other side of the beck from me had guinea fowl wandering loose and I'd often see them wandering amongst the herdies from the back bedroom window.

Cheers, lads. So; One frog, in a pool in Canada. Someone who kept guinea pigs ~ presumably without the presence of small, homicidal Dogs. And several people who've seen guinea fowl running about. Brilliant.

Caging them's not really in the mix, @sid g The very point is to have them around the place. Just that I get the definite vibe they fukk off.

Narrowing it down then? I guess I'm wondering if my place has to be the first thing they see, as they hatch? Or, if I could smuggle them in at six / eight weeks and try to kid them this too is part of where they were born and belong.

Maybe, if I could find someone willing to utilise dark sheds and blind folds?

Weird fukking things, any way ye look at it.

My father used to call them Gleany's I don't know if thats a local thing or maybe South African name for them as he was out there in WW2.

The other thing I was doing some work on a farm and they had loads of them. In the evening they would roost real high in the trees that over hanged the field they were in. I said to the farm well they are safe from foxes up there he replied you would thing so wouldn't you but they are not. Puzzled as ask about it and he reckoned that a Fox would walk around in circles underneath them and they would just fall out of the tree.

I have no idea if thats true but he assured me it was.

Cheers Arry

Edited by Arry
38 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Cheers, lads. So; One frog, in a pool in Canada. Someone who kept guinea pigs ~ presumably without the presence of small, homicidal Dogs. And several people who've seen guinea fowl running about. Brilliant.

Caging them's not really in the mix, @sid g The very point is to have them around the place. Just that I get the definite vibe they fukk off.

Narrowing it down then? I guess I'm wondering if my place has to be the first thing they see, as they hatch? Or, if I could smuggle them in at six / eight weeks and try to kid them this too is part of where they were born and belong.

Maybe, if I could find someone willing to utilise dark sheds and blind folds?

Weird fukking things, any way ye look at it.

Why complicate things ?

Keep the guinea fowl enclosed and feed them at the same time every day until they start coming to to you at feed time, and they are "hanted" as we say up here, just like homing pigeons. Then release them and keep feeding them same time, same place. They won't stray far.

Cheers.

• Like 4
37 minutes ago, Arry said:

My father used to call them Gleany's I don't know if thats a local thing or maybe South African name for them as he was out there in WW2.

The other thing I was doing some work on a farm and they had loads of them. In the evening they would roast real high in the trees that over hanged the field they were in. I said to the farm well they are safe from foxes up there he replied you would thing so wouldn't you but they are not. Puzzled as ask about it and he reckoned that a Fox would walk around in circles underneath them and they would just fall out of the tree.

I have no idea if thats true but he assured me it was.

Cheers Arry

Gleany would be the local term, I am ashamed to say I thought Guinea fowl was completely different until a few years ago ! 

I've heard my neighbour say similar about a fox circling to get a Gleany to get dizzy and fall out the tree, they supposed to make great guards but if they get caught that easy or just piss off somewhere else you maybe better off with a dog ! 

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

I think .....

DeanO;  I'd be working on the calculated premise that 'my' foxes wouldn't bother to put the work in, for the rabbits.

Guinea pigs? Granted. Yeah. They'd be fukked. Completely helpless little things. My lot snaffle up rats ~ I've seen them do it ~ and GP's would simply present as bigger, fatter, far less tricky to catch rats. Rabbits aren't like rats, you'll notice.

I've probably learned more about foxes, this last couple of years of observing them, than anyone will ever do from a lifetimes picking them off with a rifle, or sending a three times bigger, 'Strong Dog' to chew it.

What ever turns one on, I suppose. But; " I've seen things ..... " :yes:

• Like 2
15 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Keep the guinea fowl enclosed and feed them at the same time every day until they start coming to to you at feed time, and they are "hanted" as we say up here, just like homing pigeons. 

I think we used to say "anted" to the ducket in sunderland, pigeon crees were duckets.

59 minutes ago, Ken's Deputy said:

One frog, in a pool in Canada

Might have been a toad, but it was a bit presumptuous coming out so early, it's snowing today ❄️

IMG_20220408_064801.jpg

1 minute ago, mackem said:

I think we used to say "anted" to the ducket in sunderland, pigeon crees were duckets.

Same here ! The Mackem language isn't to far removed from Geordie.

If they speak slowly, we can just about understand them ! ?? 

Cheers.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

Why complicate things ?

The 'complications' arise from the simple logistics pertaining to my individual situation.

There's a tendency, on line, to always assume the asker is either an idiot. Or simply hasn't thought things through and so seen the obvious. This is quite the opposite, in fact.

Try as I might ~ and believe me, I've tried. Asking on here is a last ditch exercise in straw clutching ~ All references I've so far come to state that the fukkers fukk off. Unless they're released ..... And there it gets gray, see?

I've never quite fathomed at which exact point, between their heads coming out of those eggs, and their fukking off, that Need to fukk off kicks in.

So, without 'complicating' what should be a simple enough question any further? I'd appreciate the answer to that :)

Keeping them penned etc. Is " Complicating " what I'd sort of hoped, see? :( I mean; If I had the ability to provide a suitable enclosure for them to live in till some indeterminate point? I'd probably Leave the fukkers in it. Yeah?

Sadly, that's not about to happen. And, as ever, I was trying not to bore the internet into a coma, by typing a huge essay, detailing my every nuance of thought and consideration which has finally brought me to fine tune it all to the simple question I posed here.

So, to reiterate: Will Guinea keets ~ say, eight weeks old ~ still be imprintable that this is home?

Maybe I should just focus on the rabbits? :laugh:

• Like 1