First mark

mooching this morning dog's in a bit of cover, saw it drop in a little sett. pup picked scent and gave a good strong mark, backed up by the same from beddywhippet. very early days but at 6 and a half months really pleased how she is hunting up and using her nose, not shy of cover either ?

Screenshot_20220404_161327_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Screenshot_20220404_161344_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

• Like 18

thats good that , more so with smooth coat, that the beddyx whippet that 6 months old ? me self i always like a dog with good coat, both my 1xs had great coat thats 1x collie x grey old bryn dead now, and big Buck my 1x gsd x grey , both would dig down to what ever there lol, old bryn marked all these one morning, great nose he had so as Buck got great nose as well . all ways thought a beddyx whippet or beddy x grey x collie x grey  make great rabbit  dog day/ night.

bryn again feb 20th  25 rabbis.jpg

• Like 6

Well done ?

For me, as a former , pro rabbit hunter..... a steady, reliable 100% marking dog, really was essential.... ?

Personally, I rate this attribute very highly, in a daytime rabbiting/ferreting/ mouching lurcher....

Facts are, on some places, there might well be only one solitary Coney,... and if you want to earn them gold doubloons, you had best kill the furry fecker..

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 7
On 04/04/2022 at 16:40, bird said:

thats good that , more so with smooth coat, that the beddyx whippet that 6 months old ? me self i always like a dog with good coat, both my 1xs had great coat thats 1x collie x grey old bryn dead now, and big Buck my 1x gsd x grey , both would dig down to what ever there lol, old bryn marked all these one morning, great nose he had so as Buck got great nose as well . all ways thought a beddyx whippet or beddy x grey x collie x grey  make great rabbit  dog day/ night.

bryn again feb 20th  25 rabbis.jpg

I didn't know that Bryn had passed ray rip shame you never took anything from him or buck up to now 

12 hours ago, dytkos said:

No, me neither, R.I.P., Bryn, grand dog. Sad for you Ray.

D.

Yeh Dave, last Nov I had to pts, he was 14, he stopped eating really, went thin and lost his strength. Vet said he only get waker, so said pts then, had the fecker 14 years, big Buck missed him deff, it to took him  good 6 weeks to realise that he not at my property no more, he kept looking for him, I took Bryn out of his kennel 8 months before, as I knew it be better for Buck long term. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Excellent start and great too see. Marking and nose work is key at least for day time. Any dog can lamp but not all are good in the day. I can remember my JR terrier doing his first mark about 38 years ago. Could walk to exact spot even now. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Blackmag said:

I didn't know that Bryn had passed ray rip shame you never took anything from him or buck up to now 

Yeh mate, he was 14 and getting weak not eating, vet said he get more weak, so said pts then. Yeh it  bloody shame not  getting any pups from him, he deff was great rabbit dog day/night, not many good 1xs about today, same as Buck he been  a good 1x, he caught every thing you slipped on when lamping. He near 10 now, I think he go quick the Bryn. As big dogs go quicker than smaller dogs, if get another dog be  small to mid size, just for mooching in the woods etc, no rush as yet,?

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, terryd said:

Excellent start and great too see. Marking and nose work is key at least for day time. Any dog can lamp but not all are good in the day. I can remember my JR terrier doing his first mark about 38 years ago. Could walk to exact spot even now. 

ferreted with Russell's years ago they are good markers. I haven't lamped for over 25 years now but I intend doing a bit with this whippet. I know some say don't start them in the day due to hunting up etc. daytime hunting, mooching has always been more important to me, so we will see how she does ?

• Like 3
3 hours ago, bird said:

Yeh mate, he was 14 and getting weak not eating, vet said he get more weak, so said pts then. Yeh it  bloody shame not  getting any pups from him, he deff was great rabbit dog day/night, not many good 1xs about today, same as Buck he been  a good 1x, he caught every thing you slipped on when lamping. He near 10 now, I think he go quick the Bryn. As big dogs go quicker than smaller dogs, if get another dog be  small to mid size, just for mooching in the woods etc, no rush as yet,?

Ray you ever thought about taking a few straws from Buck? Sods Law someone will want to use him when he's past it or brown bread??

• Like 2