Beddy greyhounds

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In my experience,.. a Beddy lurcher is equally as useful, when produced, via other working Beddy lurchers... as opposed to a genuine F1 Hybrid...?  An entire generation, of running dog enthusiast

Beddy greyhound from old stuff are still out there , as for bedlington digging dogs who knows but beddy types working to ground are out there , two beddy greyhound from old stuff be over 40 years line

Yes, ..obviously we only want stock from soundly bred animals,...that goes without saying...? However,.. I  maintain that many of the most successful 'end products' have not necessarily been the

Posted Images

Just now, New moon said:

Early days for that blood, mine was a bit up and down till she was 3.

Yer, that's about right, it's been a frustrating start but when she tunes in she's on a different level. Thankfully I can see her improving with almost every run and for what she is, i have faith... ?

6 minutes ago, Bosun11 said:

Yer, that's about right, it's been a frustrating start but when she tunes in she's on a different level. Thankfully I can see her improving with almost every run and for what she is, i have faith... ?

Weird blood in comparison to most imo but with patients and opportunity they can really make the grade..

Edited by New moon
  • Like 1
On 06/04/2022 at 22:59, Bosun11 said:

I get that Phil, i really do, but no different than any other cross, the base breeds have got to be sound stock. Right now there are ten ton of Beddy crosses (mainly Whippet types) being bred by sellers trying to 'cash in'... And I'm quite sure most are useful.

What passes for a Beddy cross, ain't always so...

My current hound could/would pass for heavy Beddy blood but there's only a drop in her, many, many years ago. She's proving to be real handy but she ain't a Beddy cross...

No different than your pastoral crosses, the base blood has got to be sound for lines to continue and my post is questioning that...

I like to try another terrier cross and the type I describe in the post above would be my choice. It's really not a case of being 'brainwashed'  but rather the want to see what a 'genuine' one can really do and though i've seen plenty of first crosses of all types, until you own and work one, the reality can be quite different.

Like i said, it was all fantasy, brought on by 'ol DBP when i was much younger, but like you, i had one or two chats with Mr George Newcombe (spelling) back in the day and always admired his passion for the breed. I'd just want his style of Bedlington to continue and produce handy Lurchers.

? ?

Yes, ..obviously we only want stock from soundly bred animals,...that goes without saying...?

However,.. I  maintain that many of the most successful 'end products' have not necessarily been the First cross or even the subsequent next mating, back to the greyhound or whippet ,...which , as you possibly know,.. has so often been the recommended method of breeding lurchers...

Personally,.. I prefer to breed, like to like,.. and ability to ability, kinda thing,...I'm, not overly worried, about algebraic percentages,...for as you know, such things matter little in the hunting field..

Yes, George was passionate about his Bedlington's, but having handled (and owned) the 'type,.. from his yard, I  would have to say they were amazingly varied, in both their physicality, temperament, and generally demeanour

I no longer keep Beddy Lurchers, but when I did breed these superlative lurcher types,..my best results,..as stated, were when I used animals that I had actually seen working, and these, lurcher to lurcher hybrids, turned out a whole lot better than the original F1 specimens, I had previously walked out with...

However, if anyone has a penchant to breed F1 types, I am sure a workmanlike Bedlington Terrier stud can be found...?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 10
8 hours ago, OldPhil said:

Yes, ..obviously we only want stock from soundly bred animals,...that goes without saying...?

However,.. I  maintain that many of the most successful 'end products' have not necessarily been the First cross or even the subsequent next mating, back to the greyhound or whippet ,...which , as you possibly know,.. has so often been the recommended method of breeding lurchers...

Personally,.. I prefer to breed, like to like,.. and ability to ability, kinda thing,...I'm, not overly worried, about algebraic percentages,...for as you know, such things matter little in the hunting field..

Yes, George was passionate about his Bedlington's, but having handled (and owned) the 'type,.. from his yard, I  would have to say they were amazingly varied, in both their physicality, temperament, and generally demeanour

I no longer keep Beddy Lurchers, but when I did breed these superlative lurcher types,..my best results,..as stated, were when I used animals that I had actually seen working, and these, lurcher to lurcher hybrids, turned out a whole lot better than the original F1 specimens, I had previously walked out with...

However, if anyone has a penchant to breed F1 types, I am sure a workmanlike Bedlington Terrier stud can be found...?

Brilliant photo that. Theres serious intent about that dogs expression.

16 hours ago, OldPhil said:

In my experience,.. a Beddy lurcher is equally as useful, when produced, via other working Beddy lurchers... as opposed to a genuine F1 Hybrid...?

An entire generation, of running dog enthusiasts, have been brainwashed with all this First cross, Three Quarter Bred , three eighths/ five eighths,.. nomenclature.

This method of categorising livestock, is ideal for the commercial producer of canines, wishing to sell a recognisable product,...but the concept frequently falls short, if pure working ability, is the prime requisite?

Personally, I found that the Beddy, lurcher to lurcher union, often gave me a right good sort.?

scan0054.jpg

? agree with what you’ve said phil I’m in the same opinion on the cross 

• Like 1
14 hours ago, OldPhil said:

img098.tif.jpg

Smart hound that OldPhil?

• Like 1

I've not been on here for a while. I've got a beddy whippet grey. 1/8bed 3/8wh 1/2grey. There will be some olds posts of her on here somewhere.

She's a cracking bitch, shes a family pet first off. I am lucky enough to get out with a proper dog man every now and then who has some land and she more than holds her own shoulder to shoulder with his that are worked hard. She could've made a lot more with a proper dog man but she has a good life and whenever she is put to it she catches plenty. Perfect dog for me if you have in house. She's a little on small side if you like some larger game.

20200419_181436.jpg

20200602_085054.jpg

20200520_092318.jpg

IMG-20210321-WA0001.jpg

Screenshot_20210731-225357_Drive.jpg

Screenshot_20210731-225324_Drive.jpg

• Like 4