Tell you whats strange about them things some parts of the year you wouldnt believe they even existed you wouldnt find one for the lottery other times your tripping over them even seeing them daylight alot of the time down here.id like to know what all of a sudden makes them active 

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, C.green said:

Tell you whats strange about them things some parts of the year you wouldnt believe they even existed you wouldnt find one for the lottery other times your tripping over them even seeing them daylight alot of the time down here.id like to know what all of a sudden makes them active 

New sexual active males are on the move this time of year as they get booted out the setts , its the worst time of year for dropping on a wrong un when your just out for a mooch in what you think is a safe area.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, C.green said:

Tempature and food availability, in my youth when winter was winter and men were men???ok enough of that shit, but when there was proper snow on the ground and digging was still legal, I would go and check setts for activity when there was snow on the ground and the badgers would often remain indoors for two weeks without breaking cover, at this time of year now they are building up fat after winter, so next big signs will be when the leather jackets hatch that’s when they will plough a field overnight like pigs everything in nature follows a sequence there is no point wasting energy looking for food if the food hasn’t arrived yet, it’s a relationship between prey and predator that we have lost sat indoors buying our food and turning on the heating, earth worms move to the surface after rain and sept Oct latrines full of blackberry shit everywhere, we have just moved outside of the circle of life which eventually will lead to our downfall ????

• Like 5

I think its something to do with availability of food aswell mate ive seen them over the next few month looking poor as rooks and worst time for seeing them for me is just before corns cut bumped into them in middle of the day laid in a pile of stingers

• Like 1

I reckon u could be right with them leatherjackets grey man I remember when the fields down the road was cut and ploughed in i seen double figures all hammering these two fields and that intent on digging or whatever they wasnt even looking up. Interesting creatures i quite like um

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, kanny said:

New sexual active males are on the move this time of year as they get booted out the setts , its the worst time of year for dropping on a wrong un when your just out for a mooch in what you think is a safe area.

That explains the amount of badger road kill at this time of the year.

• Like 2

I worked as a green keeper back in early 2000's,they would plough up fairways and greens looking for daddy long legs,seen them out on the lanes eating frogs by the ton when it's raining,also watched them pull moles out of the traps we would set...they can do a fair bit of damage over a couple of nights?

• Like 2
17 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

I worked as a green keeper back in early 2000's,they would plough up fairways and greens looking for daddy long legs,seen them out on the lanes eating frogs by the ton when it's raining,also watched them pull moles out of the traps we would set...they can do a fair bit of damage over a couple of nights?

Thats one thing i could never understand when bumped into some of the starved ones when there golf courses with sprinklers on in summer surely theyd dig sommat to eat off there 

1 hour ago, C.green said:

Thats one thing i could never understand when bumped into some of the starved ones when there golf courses with sprinklers on in summer surely theyd dig sommat to eat off there 

Top 12 inches of most courses,they use a very sandy type of soil mix to aid with drainage,all the fertilizer,weed killer don't hold alot of worms maybe?you find them in the  surrounding fields feeding and flipping cow shit looking for worms etc when it rained around us or on the country roads eating frogs..down your way they probably eat more maize etc if they are struggling,plus you got all the Gamebirds on the shoots...on the hills around us they thrive off dead lambs and carrion...they put a fox to shame with the amount of bones and shite outside the holes and mangle any f***ing wires you put down, wake you up in the morning,when you go round checking,worth investigating in a few cheapy trailcams?STC_0021.JPG.caf875c93effaee5912e3be6b5b13686.JPGSTC_0017.JPG.bc15c137d962629f5a37f6ea6d7e4f99.JPGSTC_0027.JPG.157ef9a189234c67674a8a443abbd521.JPGSTC_0029.JPG.4d7641a057479cb260a5ada8ae10cbb9.JPG

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, sid g said:

mates a green keeper they get hammered by them every night..  during the summer they open up at half 6 he starts work at 4 to sort out the mess fookers digging for worms and grubs , we started feeding them in the woods try to keep em off the greens and out the bunkers did`nt work  they just got fatter . 

Remember waking up one morning 2001 and I honestly thought that a hundred head of cattle had been over the one course I looked after,checked all the boundary fences,all secure...? they was all but wiped out by the 80's around there , according to the old boys ...10/15 yrs later they were back like a plauge...I left there 2003,drive through there these days and you see 4/5 sunbathing on the verges and runs everywhere....every housing estate in the surrounding area got them too...very few rabbits and count on your one hand the foxes you find to ground in a season ?

• Like 1