.22lr moderator issue

Just after some ideas/thoughts on an issue I’m having, haven’t shot my .22lr rifle in a while due to the bolt going away to have a spring replaced and work commitments. I’ve picked up some pest control on an estate, mainly rabbits with rats, pigeon etc. Thought best to check zero before going out first 4 shots bang on after that low and left, cleaned the barrel with a snake, the next four shots good then low and left again, tried the snake through the moderator again the same results. Removed the mod and all shot bang on cleaned the mod reattach same problem. I’m using same ammo as before nothing’s changed.

any thoughts??

thanks

Hi, I don't advise cleaning a .22lr barrel unless its started shooting off, ( I have had an uncleaned .22lr rifle for years without cleaning and its spot on ). So would be firing more shots to dirty the barrel, after ensuring the mod thread and barrel thread is clean and well tightened.

Try shooting more shots without cleaning.  You could find that you need adjust your scope to suit  a new zero.

Fingers crossed.  Alan.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, owdnorthener said:

Hi, I don't advise cleaning a .22lr barrel unless its started shooting off, ( I have had an uncleaned .22lr rifle for years without cleaning and its spot on ). So would be firing more shots to dirty the barrel, after ensuring the mod thread and barrel thread is clean and well tightened.

Try shooting more shots without cleaning.  You could find that you need adjust your scope to suit  a new zero.

Fingers crossed.  Alan.

Maybe no clean the barrel but what about the mod mine was filled with that much crap it was affecting it  i took it off and cleaned the baffles ,But as said i dont think its dodgy ammo if your putting 4 on target your no subconciously pulling off target?.Theres too much a pattern for me 4 on then 1 off ?>

Thanks for your reply’s, it is strange. The mod was throughly cleaned with the same results. What’s baffling me is that with the mod off, the rifle, scope and ammo shoot really well, 5 shots under a pound coin. I would leave it off but it’s not great for rabbit shooting. 
I may try swapping mod with a friend and see what happens.

On 31/03/2022 at 13:11, Dave_4 said:

Thanks for your reply’s, it is strange. The mod was throughly cleaned with the same results. What’s baffling me is that with the mod off, the rifle, scope and ammo shoot really well, 5 shots under a pound coin. I would leave it off but it’s not great for rabbit shooting. 
I may try swapping mod with a friend and see what happens.

It’s not working loose after 4 shots is it? It only needs to be slightly loose on the threads and it will be out of alignment. Check the screw cutting on the muzzle is clean, and also the shoulder where the screw cutting ends. This must be clean for the moderator to “snug up” squarely to the barrel.

• Like 1
On 31/03/2022 at 10:18, Dave_4 said:

Just after some ideas/thoughts on an issue I’m having, haven’t shot my .22lr rifle in a while due to the bolt going away to have a spring replaced and work commitments. I’ve picked up some pest control on an estate, mainly rabbits with rats, pigeon etc. Thought best to check zero before going out first 4 shots bang on after that low and left, cleaned the barrel with a snake, the next four shots good then low and left again, tried the snake through the moderator again the same results. Removed the mod and all shot bang on cleaned the mod reattach same problem. I’m using same ammo as before nothing’s changed.

any thoughts??

thanks

Various things that can do this sort of thing.   One being sights that are loose.  This can lead to a few shots hitting a point and then jumping somewhere else.  Another being leading in the barrel. this can cause bullets to group for a few shots then jump off somewhere else and then move back again for a while to another place.  Now this is a bit of a can of worms.  Most 22lr  barrels don't need any cleaning  and I've known target rifles that haven't been cleaned for more than 20 years.  When I've cleaned target barrels they can take anything up to 50 rounds through them to settle back down to target match accuracy.  BUT I  don't think that dragging a bore snake through a barrel is going to remove lead in the rifling.  The barrel might look clean but if you get a phosphor bronze brush and a solvent such as "Ed's Red" and give it a blooming good scrubbing you will still be cleaning crud out of it ten patches later.  Then the bore will eventually look like a mirror.   Then oil the bore and proceed to shoot it in. Accuracy Is all a matter of repeatable action so something is changing or moving. Alĺ you got to do is find it and do something about it.

Shot thousands of rabbits with 22's. Some years with a mod and some years without. Sometime subsonic ammo and sometimes he and you know what? It made no difference to the numbers shot at all.

Some run Some don't. Put the mod in a draw and go shooting.

• Like 1
On 04/04/2022 at 21:48, FOXHUNTER said:

I've shot thousands of rabbits with my .22 as well , I've had it probably 30 years and it's never been cleaned.?

That really surprises me. How is it acting as a silencer when it must be completely filled up with powder residue   I've a couple of different silencers one being a standard parker hale and both of them get clogged  up with powder residues after about 500 rounds of differing makes and types of ammunition . silencing effect drops to zero and basically it just becomes a barrel weight.  The powder residue builds up like the silencer has been filled up with polyfilla. Even after 500 rounds it becomes difficult to dissmantle the thing.  The individual baffles get filled and almost cemented in.  The main body has to be tapped vigorously to crack and shake some out and the use of a sharp small fine point scraper to shift more. Soaking in water doesn't work at all because the powder residue isn't water soluble.  The baffles get so stuck that care an patience has to be taken not to damage and distort them.  I now coat all internal surfaces with a fine thin coat of grease which acts like a release agent but doesn't contribute to clogging.  When cleaned out there is a noticeable sound drop difference. it may be impossible for your silencer to be dismantled after so long.

Edited by Meece
On 31/03/2022 at 12:33, The one said:

Maybe no clean the barrel but what about the mod mine was filled with that much crap it was affecting it  i took it off and cleaned the baffles ,But as said i dont think its dodgy ammo if your putting 4 on target your no subconciously pulling off target?.Theres too much a pattern for me 4 on then 1 off ?>

My BSA .22 lr had a moderator fitted in 1967, its fired thousand upon thousands of rounds, the barrel nor moderator have ever been cleaned and it still produces one ragged hole at 50 yards. The build up of carbon in 22lr mods helps them. Likewise the mod on 22 should never be removed unlike full bore rifles.

On 06/04/2022 at 08:07, Meece said:

That really surprises me. How is it acting as a silencer when it must be completely filled up with powder residue   I've a couple of different silencers one being a standard parker hale and both of them get clogged  up with powder residues after about 500 rounds of differing makes and types of ammunition . silencing effect drops to zero and basically it just becomes a barrel weight.  The powder residue builds up like the silencer has been filled up with polyfilla. Even after 500 rounds it becomes difficult to dissmantle the thing.  The individual baffles get filled and almost cemented in.  The main body has to be tapped vigorously to crack and shake some out and the use of a sharp small fine point scraper to shift more. Soaking in water doesn't work at all because the powder residue isn't water soluble.  The baffles get so stuck that care an patience has to be taken not to damage and distort them.  I now coat all internal surfaces with a fine thin coat of grease which acts like a release agent but doesn't contribute to clogging.  When cleaned out there is a noticeable sound drop difference. it may be impossible for your silencer to be dismantled after so long.

if you have a mod filling with something on your 22, you have something very strange going on! perhaps your in a  parallel universe.

On 13/04/2022 at 09:37, levigsp said:

if you have a mod filling with something on your 22, you have something very strange going on! perhaps your in a  parallel universe.

Just powder residue.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, levigsp said:

As said something wrong. I have used dozens of different makes and speeds of ammo and never had powder residue build-up in my .22s

I have buddy, silencers get caked up often with a mix of bullet lube and powder residue. 

While some may not get filled with the stuff and maybe even self clean to some extent others do get a build up.

I agree about 22 barrels, don't clean them unless that if a really bad ammunition has been used that had nearly zero bullet lube. Possible leading could result.

Good ammo, just shoot.

• Like 1