• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pike thrive on neglect and remaining uncaught . Once the bigger ones've been caught a time or two they often go down hill.  Plus the big fish will often be near the end of their natural life span

Worse thing I've tasted is....roast blackbirds.... was like chewing an old skool glass stink bomb? .

eastern European 2 legged fox 

Posted Images

was the same at my yard lol good old days but being a kid in the arsehole of no were with a terrier and lurcher or ferret in a pillowcase threw into a school bag away you go over everybody and anybody's ground lol

• Like 2
4 hours ago, mushroom said:

Weird isn’t it. As kids the things we did, they don’t do now lol 

A pike on the line as an 8 year old whilst camping with me mates was a given scran! We even ate perch…. I recommend no one ever eat perch ?

Noo, perch are superior to trout as far as l'm concerned . White ,flaky flesh . Never deliberately killed one to eat but occasionally the odd one doesn't  recover from deep hooking. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, comanche said:

Noo, perch are superior to trout as far as l'm concerned . White ,flaky flesh . Never deliberately killed one to eat but occasionally the odd one doesn't  recover from deep hooking. 

Agreed, over here i have eaten both pike and perch and to be fair they are both pretty decent when taken from a deep, clear lake.

6 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

When we was kids,we would scrump allotments steal veg,a bird or 2 ,few eggs and go down the river cook them up...used to eat snails ffs?I've ate most fish...but would I f**k eat a slimy bream?

And nick bottles of milk from doorsteps at first light when the milkie delivered them? 

• Like 2
7 minutes ago, mackem said:

And nick bottles of milk from doorsteps at first light when the milkie delivered them? 

? Myself a few mates and one of my younger brother's where all caught,bollocked and expelled from school,banned from any school trips for a yr  for 'joy riding' and using 3 milk floats as dodgems...in the local dairy, when we was 12 yrs old?

The Milkie would get terrorised daily round our way,poor man was a bag of nerves...Bob the milkman?,along with the ice cream man(Peado looking cnut),fat bird that worked at the taxi rank??

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
16 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Worse thing I've tasted is....roast blackbirds.... was like chewing an old skool glass stink bomb?

If they are anything like starlings you have the skin them first. The bitterness is in the skin. They were still pretty horrible though to be honest

• Like 1
On 31/03/2022 at 16:34, Daniel cain said:

When we was kids,we would scrump allotments steal veg,a bird or 2 ,few eggs and go down the river cook them up...used to eat snails ffs?I've ate most fish...but would I f**k eat a slimy bream?

Again how food tastes have changed.  Bream were considered one of the finer fish in mediaeval times and good family food in the the first half of the 20th century. 

The popularity of imported carp as food was down to the fact that they grew quicker than our native fish and could be fattened on any old sh×t; like  guts and offal, mouldy grain, and yes ,literally sh×t!

Edited by comanche
22 hours ago, comanche said:

Maybe it was where we took them from but it was only the once, tasted like shit ??

@Daniel cain Pretty sure I tried to give one to the fezzers once and they did the same. Was either a moorhen or a coot, I forget now.

22 hours ago, comanche said:

I agree. There is a trout lake near where I used to live that held some enormous perch. They let me fly fish for them as long as I removed them. Anything above 1/2lb got knocked on the head and I took them to eat. It is very much like sea bream. Flaky flesh, not too soft. Lovely.  All the trout I caught were given away. I have had zander too and that is similar. 

Bream from flowing rivers don't tend to be as slimy as still water bream and they fight better. In Sweden bream are caught by trawlers on huge freshwater lakes. They can be seen on fishmongers slabs all over the country. 

Last year when I was fishing the Charente an English bloke who's garden bordered the river saw me catching bream and asked me to keep one for him. Mind you, he is a Lancastrian and they will eat shite. They eat the cow's heels and stomach and throw the rest of the carcase away. 

• Haha 3