David Knowles

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A small paperback book by Tony Diprose who i remember being on tv many years ago on a programme regarding lurchers and working dogs.

My old beddy bull grey bitch was that steady too?  No chance with this Wheaton X...few hrs walking it round on a lead/slip ...I need a few tramadol for the f***ing pain?

Posted Images

25 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

Tel me Lads what is the benefits off working of slip at night OK mite be some if out on your own But me personally like to get up in there fast and try and push the rabbit I want it to go sometime I do more running than the dog lol ? fast and furious 

Being serious, I suppose the benefit of using a slip lead (day or night) means you don’t need to run the dog with a collar on which can be fatal for a dog.

? I reckon its entirely,.. a personal choice,...some dogs take to the working free, style of lamping, whilst others probably never will...I much prefer a bit of free walking, especially when there are loads of obstacles to surmount, but you got to go with the flow,...and treat each dog different...?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 4
11 minutes ago, Countryman62 said:

Being serious, I suppose the benefit of using a slip lead (day or night) means you don’t need to run the dog with a collar on which can be fatal for a dog.

All fairness now I All ways have a collar on my dog when out lamping or ferreting never had a problem with them But I have heard people saying that they had problems as I've said before each to there own over the years if I remember correctly I have 5 dogs killed in the field never the collar to blame they all hit things walls fences gates 

• Sad 1
6 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

? I reckon its entirely,.. a personal choice,...some dogs take to the working free, style of lamping, whilst others probably never will...I much prefer a bit of free walking, especially when there are loads of obstacles to surmount, but you got to go with the flow,...and treat each dog different...?

img Scans259.jpg

File0459.jpg

connieFile0624.jpg

img Scans174.jpg

Loved them wee hand held lamps phil fck they bring back memories ? I think wee got them out of the car shops think about 6.50 each brilliant ? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Ferretman65 said:

Loved them wee hand held lamps phil fck they bring back memories ? I think wee got them out of the car shops think about 6.50 each brilliant ? 

I've still got one in the van for checking spots when I'm on the way home from work at 05:00 am ?

Cheers, D.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Ferretman65 said:

Ferretman65.... Think I must of gone to a more expensive establishment for mine, think I had to pay a whole 10 pound note for mine.... 

The things we used to use years ago hey... These young uns now a days don't know there born ? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, breeze said:

Ferretman65.... Think I must of gone to a more expensive establishment for mine, think I had to pay a whole 10 pound note for mine.... 

The things we used to use years ago hey... These young uns now a days don't know there born ? 

Your right there wee used to take the Battery out of the car park the car on a hill then lamp away don't think any of us could do that now fcking heat attack lol 

10 hours ago, Ferretman65 said:

I bought 2 at a car boot before wicked little lamps 

13 hours ago, Ferretman65 said:

All fairness now I All ways have a collar on my dog when out lamping or ferreting never had a problem with them But I have heard people saying that they had problems as I've said before each to there own over the years if I remember correctly I have 5 dogs killed in the field never the collar to blame they all hit things walls fences gates 

Losing 5 dogs can’t think of much worse, sorry to hear that. What put me off running a dog with collars was a mates young dog, think it was around 10 months old overshot a rabbit as they do and got tangled in barbed wire, panicked and made a lot more mess than was necessary, collar and dog was entangled, I don’t know if it was the fault of him wearing a collar or the dog just being young and headstrong, I’ve had a few mature dogs caught in barbed wire and thankfully they’ve had the common sense to stay still till we’ve been able to reach them, but as you say it’s each to their own, atb

Edited by Countryman62
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Countryman62 said:

Losing 5 dogs can’t think of much worse, sorry to hear that. What put me off running a dog with collars was a mates young dog, think it was around 10 months old overshot a rabbit as they do and got tangled in barbed wire, panicked and made a lot more mess than was necessary, collar and dog was entangled, I don’t know if it was the fault of him wearing a collar or the dog just being young and headstrong, I’ve had a few mature dogs caught in barbed wire and thankfully they’ve had the common sense to stay still till we’ve been able to reach them, but as you say it’s each to their own, atb

That's one of the dogs got killed on me one of the best hare killing dogs I've had hit a wire fence the same day that picture was taken the big fawn bitch 

20210624_195646.jpg

• Like 1