David Knowles

Anyone on here know David Knowles of Hyde Cheshire? Was a regular contributer to 

"Lurcher " magazine in the 80's. He made and sold slip leads through countryman weekly 

(Can't remember what is was called then ) ran a very good pair of Bedlington lurchers.

I still have one of his slips but don't know how to put a picture on here!

I'd be to get very happy to get back in contact with him

• Like 1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A small paperback book by Tony Diprose who i remember being on tv many years ago on a programme regarding lurchers and working dogs.

My old beddy bull grey bitch was that steady too?  No chance with this Wheaton X...few hrs walking it round on a lead/slip ...I need a few tramadol for the f***ing pain?

Posted Images

David was a nice guy,...I liked him a lot..?

I'll always remember, the smell of those neat little leather slip leads that he made...

I field tested them, for Shooting News and he sold loads,....I only bred cur dogs back then, and didn't really use a dog lead,...but so what...?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oldphil, is he still about ? Used to write to him weekly back in  the early 80's

Wish I knew how to put a bloody picture on here as his slips would fit all size dogs and would give younger dog boys a good idea or 2 of a  slip lead. 

" Long enough to walk with a whippet over rough ground " 

That's what his adds said if I remember 

• Like 2

I know David. He was a brickie and he was due to start building a garden wall on the house next to ours and came down the drive asking for the car to be moved. I was in the back garden skinning a red hind at the time and obviously he seen my kennels and runners. So we got friendly. He used to do a lot of daytime running up on the moors for white and brown hares. He is still knocking about and still has a lurcher but does not hunt any more. I don't have his number but I still see him now and again in his little white transit connect either parked up and walking the dogs or I see him picking the grandkids up sometimes. Really nice fella. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, Bird Catcher said:

Anyone on here know David Knowles of Hyde Cheshire? Was a regular contributer to 

"Lurcher " magazine in the 80's. He made and sold slip leads through countryman weekly 

(Can't remember what is was called then ) ran a very good pair of Bedlington lurchers.

I still have one of his slips but don't know how to put a picture on here!

I'd be to get very happy to get back in contact with him

I think he went under the name dogger Knowles. He did a lot of daytime on the hills moors and fields round us. 

9 hours ago, breeze said:

Darbo.... From what book are those pictures from mate ? 

A small paperback book by Tony Diprose who i remember being on tv many years ago on a programme regarding lurchers and working dogs.

51xFjQci29L._SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_ML2_.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, darbo said:

I had or maybe still have that somewhere, good read, picked it up at a country fair or advertised in shooting news ?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, darbo said:

The name rings a bell mate, didn't he run a lurcher club down south somewhere ? 

Is the book worthwhile too look out for mate ? 

1 hour ago, breeze said:

The name rings a bell mate, didn't he run a lurcher club down south somewhere ? 

Is the book worthwhile too look out for mate ? 

The book has a article dedicated to fredrick rolfe a few more articles .One on wooley bear.Plummer gave him to the author of the said article. A few romantic tales and quite a few poems. I would not go out of my way to look out for it.

Edited by darbo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1