Toads Wanted - Still.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's a Yorkshire tea bag ?

Just seen my first load of tadpoles on a walk earlier..also saw aload of newts ...ken I will try and see if I can get you some adults...find loads of little tiddlers every yr?

Let's have ye Toads & Teabag shots!

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, shaunaltoft said:

Took the bairn fishing to little pond near us today no fish just 82 toads and a newt,least we caught something ??

20220327_164945.jpg

82 toads is an invasion, stick them all in a box and ship them to Ken's Deputy ? imagine opening that ?

I've got a couple of wildlife ponds in my garden. ( posh c**t aren't I). I get loads of frogs, smooth and palmate newts but no toads.

This year I found a ball of frogs which turned out to be 3 males hanging on to one female. This was on dry land. One of the males clasping on to where he should be,( around her neck) had had his leg chewed, probably  by a cat. I was in two minds to euthanize the poor bugger. But I decided to let him be, pulled off the others and dropped the mating pair into the pond. I reckoned he deserved the chance to pass on his genes if he was that determined, despite his pain.

Does anybody keep poison dart frogs?  Cheap enough,easier to keep than tropical fish and incredibly bonny. Check out Preloved. Plenty of different varieties on sale there.

Might be my next project.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I’m still on the case an got me eyes peeled, but working up on tops most days an not a lot toads up that way, I do have to wonder about the postage service tho if I’m honest, it seems in Ireland there’s only 2 guys an one donkey to deliver the mail, an they that thorough with your packages they like to open them an inspect them, I recently sent a package to somebody over there it took weeks, an they had opened it to find out what was in it so they could charge extra. I think the donkey must have needed fed that day ? 

can a courier be arranged as pet shops use them all time, would prob be a safer bet, an same as that, I got a fairly big decent reptile/amphib/wierdo /goth shop near me, they sell allsorts a frogs sn toads, surely they could arrange a specimen either male or female and delivery ?

Used to send reptiles all round the UK and Ireland by mail but I have a feeling they might have changed the rules about shipping live animals since then now you mention it.

I doubt you'd have much luck finding Bufo bufo in a pet shop or even on their suppliers stock lists though TBH, toads aren't exactly popular even amongst people into their amphibians and those that do keep them will usually go for the more exotic species. Is actually suprisingly hard to find European native reptiles and amphibians in the UK pet trade these days.

29 minutes ago, lurcherman 887 said:

Strimmer ?

Otter. They can peel and eat only the legs. There was a news item in   my neck of the woods a few years back stating somebody was visiting  local ponds at spawning time and slicing the legs off toads for use in the restaurant industry. Turned out to be otters. 

• Like 2

Have you tried this chap? Seen him on the tele a few years ago. He had an impressive looking breeding set up devoted to toads and toads only, in his house they did not use the F word nor did they pass solids into the downstairs lavatory. Based down Royston Vasey way, not sure if he's still around.

toad man.jpg

1 hour ago, eastcoast said:

Have you tried this chap? Seen him on the tele a few years ago. He had an impressive looking breeding set up devoted to toads and toads only, in his house they did not use the F word nor did they pass solids into the downstairs lavatory. Based down Royston Vasey way, not sure if he's still around.

toad man.jpg

I keep him in my cellar, I didn't burn him, he's local.