What do use Lads prefer to work Jill's or Hobs

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its curious how we change over the years...? I remember being brought up, to never put two ferrets in a warren, or,.. they are sure to kill,.. and lie up? Back in my Father and Grandfather's

Personally,.. I like all types of working ferret, especially if they enjoy their work..?    

Tis true. The thought of tipping a boxfull of freds into a burrow would've  been considered a recipe for lay ups ,not to mention   obscenely decadent ! We usually only put a second ferret down to

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

If it's the one at the top it's got a mean look in it's eye. I used to mainly work hobs but got some jills now.

Funny you saying that all the ferrets are related to each other mate the black eye whites are two brothers the more white one is the father of the polcat the one iam kneeling with so the other one is its uncle now the one with the fur on its claws is the son of the polcat iam kneeling with 

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Personally,.. I like all types of working ferret, especially if they enjoy their work..?

_MG_1172.JPG

You are [BANNED TEXT] phil good one is a good one no matter if it is a jill or hob but me personally hobs for the ground I hunt ? 

• Like 1
38 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

Funny you saying that all the ferrets are related to each other mate the black eye whites are two brothers the more white one is the father of the polcat the one iam kneeling with so the other one is its uncle now the one with the fur on its claws is the son of the polcat iam kneeling with 

We kept a whole litter after a jill died and the mrs hand raised them. They were all good workers, easy to handle except one, a black eyed white hob who was twice the size of the others with one eye. It was a real evil animal biting me and the mrs to the bone and ripping into the whippets when hunting. I was going to shoot it but it escaped and got into the neighbors chicken pen killing a few birds. When the neighbor went to grab it it latched on with her needing 6 stitches. It escaped from there never to be seen again. Thing was like a fckn werewolf, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I really like hobs, castrated they are no problem at all and almost always great to handle. Even entire it's only a couple of months of hulk type behaviour. Could be my approach or ground, but I use Jill's as well because I find hobs typically get the hang of using their power by the second season and inevitably will kill or corner rabbits every outing. I enter a Jill a couple of minutes before a hob to get things moving, not unusual that the hob will find one that hasn't quickly bolted, hopefully without cornering it ? 

• Like 3

Depends on how much graft they are getting , if just pi$$ing about catching a dozen or so Jill's are fine but if you doing numbers say 60 -80 hobs are better as have more stamina and can take more punishment from getting kicked all day. Jill's sometimes tire and cant take as much punishment and get sick.

While for the most part I use Jill's ,my favorite to use all year round is a cut buck .A the moment  I don't have one but I plan on having a young colored buck I "found" back in Nov cut in a couple of weeks time. Last winter I sadly was down to having only the one ferret left ,a nice Jill, however I reached out to some mates that Id helped in the passed and they came to my aid, so I've now got a number to break in this winter ,remembering that one is only allowed two ,so that's all I've got ..... really ....true .....? 

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 2