In season.

24 minutes ago, riverliver123 said:

Recently got 2 jills for the first time. Both are now in season with a swollen thing (vulva????) underneath. I've been told to leave them and let them have their first season. Then get them snipped later. What do people think? 

Mate Do watt ever suits you me personally wouldn't get them snipped

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Ferretman65 said:

Mate Do watt ever suits you me personally wouldn't get them snipped

Ps I heard that it can make them more prone to adrenal gland disease don't know if it true or not Jill's now not hobs I've never got a gill done ? 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, riverliver123 said:

Recently got 2 jills for the first time. Both are now in season with a swollen thing (vulva????) underneath. I've been told to leave them and let them have their first season. Then get them snipped later. What do people think? 

If you don't mate them you risk them dying from anemia. Some get away with it.

• Thanks 1

I've always hormone jabbed or used a vasectomised hob. Even then it's not no risk and while they might survive I've had two Jills die of anemia after a second season which I've let go on for too long before doing something about. I don't take chances any more and suggest you don't leave them.  For the two spayed ferrets I've owned from ferret rescue, both were long-lived. That said, ask the vet on cost for the op as it's likely expensive and it maybe more cost effective to jab every year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

That's interesting, have you had jills live a good while without ever breeding ?

Yes mate I've had Jill's May be four or five never been mated there was no jill jab years ago we just keep them clean maybe iam was lucky but lots of my friends to never had a jill die of not mateing them ? now two seasons ago I lost 3 young hobs too Hind leg weakness I think there's about 12 things cause it and the same time my good ferret died now he was about 7 years old now I have 3 hobs left all my own breeding I had a jill die one time by get kick about to much my rabbit she just came out of the hole wobbling about took her home and the we ferret die me personally now perfur to work middle size hobs 

• Thanks 1