• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Went to feed ewes last night and found 2 healthy lambs me n kids are buzzing our fist lambs born ,    2 more ewes to lamb over the weekend 

2 more just getting a coffee then back out to check there up n feeding 

Our January babies are looking like proper little sheep now

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, vfr400boy said:

Mine not due till mid April,  think am going to lamb then then sell the ewes with lambs at foot as am losing some feilds I use to building unfortunately 

Always fetch a Good price that way mate (so long as you have sensible breed!) People love someone else doing the lambing bit for them.

• Like 1
On 26/01/2023 at 19:12, vfr400boy said:

Mine not due till mid April,  think am going to lamb then then sell the ewes with lambs at foot as am losing some feilds I use to building unfortunately 

I am going to start lambing end of February.

Just hope i haven't slipped up and the weather is bad has I lamb outdoors.

I've gone for pure beltex and a charollais x beltex tups this time around. Hopefully have a nice easy lambing.

20230120_082432.jpg.f6d6229409a0ca76e5545a3382ee37d8.jpg

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, trigger2 said:

I am going to start lambing end of February.

Just hope i haven't slipped up and the weather is bad has I lamb outdoors.

I've gone for pure beltex and a charollais x beltex tups this time around. Hopefully have a nice easy lambing.

20230120_082432.jpg.f6d6229409a0ca76e5545a3382ee37d8.jpg

What ewes pal? When I had my own flock I lambed outdoors. With the right ewes is a beautiful thing.... 

13 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

What ewes pal? When I had my own flock I lambed outdoors. With the right ewes is a beautiful thing.... 

I got 6 Dorsetshire which are 5 year old and are going this year as I am changing over breeds. I've got 2 texel x llyens yearlings 2 texel x white face Welsh mules which are yearlings too, and 3 of last years ewes lambs out of them which are 3/4 texel  1/4  white face mule. I am going to stay down the texal cross route and use the same breed of tups each year. I only had the Dorsets last year and brought the others in a month or so before tupping

I am lucky with the tups as there's a farmer just down the road who breeds some top glass sheep and he hired me the tups.

• Like 1
They sound like handy sheep. Im a big fan of lleyn.
Just watch adding too much tex into replacement ewes, affecting ease of lambing & amount of available milk, especially lambing outdoors. All the best. 

41 minutes ago, BenBhoy said:
They sound like handy sheep. Im a big fan of lleyn.
Just watch adding too much tex into replacement ewes, affecting ease of lambing & amount of available milk, especially lambing outdoors. All the best. 

That's the idea of having the beltex over the ewes. It keeps the lamb size down a little and they fetch a bit better price from the butcher. I will eventually go get around to keeping the llyen cross. High lambing percentages then. Texel x mule they are big exceptionally long ewes

20230129_093850.jpg.30ce31cf126a5f13f2d07b7f1ecb8186.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah lleyn as close to perfect ewes as you can get imo. I used to have a lleyn tup that threw lambs better than some texel! 

Like everything with sheep though it's a compromise, and reason we've never gone beltex is the pisś poor growth rate/weeks to killing. But having some charollais in there should help you with that, sounds a handy mix that for a tup. 

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...