• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don’t live very far from Env it’s a massive set up they have I went in there just to buy a single Black Cat and they was really helpful and  good advise, the trap works superbly I placed mine in a f

He hasn't even got a computer, so he's hardly likely to have access to a Mac

The new black cat from env 

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Franks dad said:

First night with a liquorice allsort and success , only young ones but , it’s a start 

AE002B32-CC19-4EC4-820A-B3C23DB66C2E.jpeg

Like buses you wait for ages and two come along together well done for perseverance, I caught with mine the first night a circle of apple under the trigger drop of honey on the apple with a crushed shreddie worked for me fine.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Franks dad said:

First night with a liquorice allsort and success , only young ones but , it’s a start 

AE002B32-CC19-4EC4-820A-B3C23DB66C2E.jpeg

Well done @Franks dad you've beaten me to it with the liquorice allsort and a double whammy.. Fantastic. I see you have a zip tie indicator on you trap, any chance you could put picture up of what you place your trap under?

• Like 1

Thanks ,used quakers apple and blueberry oats for freebies.  when you know that they’re there and taking the bait but not triggering it,it gets frustrating and almost an addictive desire to catch them ,well it has been for me ….. between them and the pup ,theyre trashing my garden ?.   The one nearest is the one with the black cat under it ,its a large paint scuttle. The back ones got a rentokill trap in and is a tub that came with pointing compound in for cobbles and I’ve another rentokill  at the other end of the garden . May invest in another black cat now I’ve got confidence in it ….. still need to get mum and dad rat though , had four young in a week . Edit to add . Put a hole both ends of the scuttle to give them an escape route and gain their confidence, don’t know if it works or makes a difference? 

E8A2E1F9-BF44-48F7-A5E2-9EB4F93BA23A.jpeg

Edited by Franks dad
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Franks dad said:

Thanks ,used quakers apple and blueberry oats for freebies.  when you know that they’re there and taking the bait but not triggering it,it gets frustrating and almost an addictive desire to catch them ,well it has been for me ….. between them and the pup ,theyre trashing my garden ?.   The one nearest is the one with the black cat under it ,its a large paint scuttle. The back ones got a rentokill trap in and is a tub that came with pointing compound in for cobbles and I’ve another rentokill  at the other end of the garden . May invest in another black cat now I’ve got confidence in it ….. still need to get mum and dad rat though , had four young in a week . Edit to add . Put a hole both ends of the scuttle to give them an escape route and gain their confidence, don’t know if it works or makes a difference? 

E8A2E1F9-BF44-48F7-A5E2-9EB4F93BA23A.jpeg

Well funny enough after my last post I got thinking?

In my freebies well I've put golden syrup porridge oats with a liquorice Allsort under the trigger.

Then I thought about  bait boxes..a hole either end,my bucket only has one point of entrance?So I binned that and made this up out of one of my recycling boxes,same as your paint scuttle tub.

Just a waiting game now to see if a clear tunnel will make any difference?

IMG_20220528_202856_709.jpg

IMG_20220528_203144_082.jpg

IMG_20220528_201944.jpg

IMG_20220528_202347.jpg

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Franks dad said:

That looks just the job ?.  Good luck ?. They’re definitely crafty,took my free oats last night but didn’t touch the trigger bait . Not sure if to wash the traps off after a kill or not , so haven’t up till now ? 

Cheers,I think they advise not to wash the traps after a kill for the scent and saliva to remain to attract another rat.They're be back to take the bait.

Silly question... What way is your trap turned around inside the tub?Is the freebie well facing the back of the tub to the left or the other way around so the well is out to the right?Not sure if it makes a difference, just curious.

Ive put mine so the well is facing the back of the tub to the left in line with the entrance/exit holes?

• Like 1
7 hours ago, patterdale said:

Cheers,I think they advise not to wash the traps after a kill for the scent and saliva to remain to attract another rat.They're be back to take the bait.

Silly question... What way is your trap turned around inside the tub?Is the freebie well facing the back of the tub to the left or the other way around so the well is out to the right?Not sure if it makes a difference, just curious.

Ive put mine so the well is facing the back of the tub to the left in line with the entrance/exit holes?

Thanks . Makes sense regarding not washing it ,that why I haven’t up till now , was just at the back of my mind . Regarding the trap , if you look at the pic the back of the trap is quite close to decking board /plant side of the scuttle ,with the well facing towards the right hand side path ,if I  bend down and look through the hole I can see the well to see if freebies are gone if the traps not triggered …. But I’ve put my crap traps in any old way and they’ve caught as well . Mines been down over a week and only had it trigger once ,they’re still wary of the trigger . The crap traps caught the same amount but 2 over separate nights and it’s been triggered a few times and ignored totally the odd day ….. they’ve still enough room for my strawberries though the barstewards 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Franks dad said:

Thanks . Makes sense regarding not washing it ,that why I haven’t up till now , was just at the back of my mind . Regarding the trap , if you look at the pic the back of the trap is quite close to decking board /plant side of the scuttle ,with the well facing towards the right hand side path ,if I  bend down and look through the hole I can see the well to see if freebies are gone if the traps not triggered …. But I’ve put my crap traps in any old way and they’ve caught as well . Mines been down over a week and only had it trigger once ,they’re still wary of the trigger . The crap traps caught the same amount but 2 over separate nights and it’s been triggered a few times and ignored totally the odd day ….. they’ve still enough room for my strawberries though the barstewards 

Right,I've just relocated my trap and turned the trap around so the back of the trap is up against the side/back of the tub so basically the opposite way around to what I had it.

Just want a catch in the Black Cat...

• Like 1
1 hour ago, patterdale said:

Right,I've just relocated my trap and turned the trap around so the back of the trap is up against the side/back of the tub so basically the opposite way around to what I had it.

Just want a catch in the Black Cat...

I Had another small one in the black cat last night. The bigger ones are more wary I would think,as there must be some here but haven’t glimpsed or caught one ,just 5 young in 8/9 days . Are You sure it’s still around and it’s  not moved on ,if you’ve only seen the one ? 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Franks dad said:

I Had another small one in the black cat last night. The bigger ones are more wary I would think,as there must be some here but haven’t glimpsed or caught one ,just 5 young in 8/9 days . Are You sure it’s still around and it’s  not moved on ,if you’ve only seen the one ? 

Great stuff @Franks dadyoure doing really well now.Did you get them with liquorice allsorts again?

Yes where I live they're around all the time.

Have you thought about setting up a trail cam?

11 minutes ago, patterdale said:

Great stuff @Franks dadyoure doing really well now.Did you get them with liquorice allsorts again?

Yes where I live they're around all the time.

Have you thought about setting up a trail cam?

Thanks  ,it’s nice to see the cable tie has disappeared in the morning,and ,yes it was actually the same allsort ,I left on the trigger from the double kill. 
same problem here , I live on the edge of the green belt and there’s loads in the fields , the old jack rat( 13)catches the young ones in the long grass , but it’s a battle to stop her crushing and eating them whole ??. She’s not going to catch one on a run though lol . Thought about recording somehow ,then saw that you’d used one for it but aren’t they expensive ? 

• Like 1
19 hours ago, Franks dad said:

Thanks  ,it’s nice to see the cable tie has disappeared in the morning,and ,yes it was actually the same allsort ,I left on the trigger from the double kill. 
same problem here , I live on the edge of the green belt and there’s loads in the fields , the old jack rat( 13)catches the young ones in the long grass , but it’s a battle to stop her crushing and eating them whole ??. She’s not going to catch one on a run though lol . Thought about recording somehow ,then saw that you’d used one for it but aren’t they expensive ? 

Marvellous,great fun are trail cams,the one I bought was about £25,£5 for 32gb SD card and £6 for good set of batteries.

Good to know what's creeping about in your garden. 

• Like 1