Using lurchers for other jobs?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Levigsp,.. yes, I like to use a lurcher for as many different tasks, as I can,...possibly I am just a bit mean, and want my money's worth?    

Yes but only on command. She'll sit under a high seat and watch deer for hours but if we are tracking a wounded one and it gets up in front of us I can ask her to pull it. The indicating is the best b

?Never thought I would say it,. or even think in such a way,...but nowadays, I don't really care, if a dog is good at the job or not. Financially, my status has changed a bit,...not drastically,

Posted Images

Had an old long netting partner whose collie lurcher was used for several unusual jobs. He was the only dog I've ever seen that would hunt rabbits at night, drive them into the long net, not touch them, and then go searching for more. He could jump hedges like a horse. Lots of dogs will jump fences and gates, not so many can work out hedges.

His really unusual job was to act as a spittoon though. Eddie, my mate, smoked a pipe and when indoors, (including the pub) he would spit the contents of his gob onto the dog's back. The dog didn't seem to mind. When it came to its favourite area of grass it would roll on its back to get rid of the irritation. The pipe used to bother me because he was forever lighting it at night with an old petrol lighter which was like a f****n flame thrower. It lit up the countryside for miles. I was forever moaning about it and he was forever telling me I worried too much. Eddie's lurcher could retrieve birds shot at night. Really useful when they dropped into tangled undergrowth or were runners.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Runner96 said:

Mine will come picking up with me now and again 

680BF725-2E97-4255-ABB2-C63C85587B19.png

917EB7E2-751F-4741-9E55-1551E1ECB7C3.png

Love seeing pics of this dog.  And, always in great nic.  Absolute little belter.

Remind us how he's bred please, mate.  ?

• Like 1

What I have always found strange is that my dogs would catch rabbits and bring them to hand unharmed, same with free flying birds, catch foxes etc. Then the day after be used as a gundog to flush and retrieve. 

but most gundog men get paranoid about dogs getting hard m outhed by pegging game. they dont seem to grasp the fact hard mouth is either genetic or taught at young age regardless of breed.

14 hours ago, OldPhil said:

Hi , yes, I favour the herding based lurcher hybrids,.. I find them easy to school, and I understand their often curious mind set...?

I don't have many photos of my earlier Lurchers and Longdogs,...my own abysmal lack, of any PC Security cost me dear,...and its all over now..?

Life goes on though,...who needs the photos, when you have the memories, eh..?

img Scans249.jpg

I have very few photos from years past as never really bothered with camera. I do however have my journals with everything written up to sit a browse one day when I get old lol, 

So looking at the replies and photos I am still amazed after a lifetime of dogs etc, how many different types of lurchers there are. 

When I first went to Lambourne show I couldn't believe my eyes and I'm still surprised now, even though I had a few different myself.

Edited by levigsp
7 minutes ago, levigsp said:

I have very few photos from years past as never really bothered with camera. I do however have my journals with everything written up to sit a browse one day when I get old lol, 

That's That's big regret of mine. I wished I'd kept a diary of shooting, fishing, lurcher and ferretwork.

• Like 1