Using lurchers for other jobs?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Levigsp,.. yes, I like to use a lurcher for as many different tasks, as I can,...possibly I am just a bit mean, and want my money's worth?    

Yes but only on command. She'll sit under a high seat and watch deer for hours but if we are tracking a wounded one and it gets up in front of us I can ask her to pull it. The indicating is the best b

?Never thought I would say it,. or even think in such a way,...but nowadays, I don't really care, if a dog is good at the job or not. Financially, my status has changed a bit,...not drastically,

Posted Images

19 hours ago, Black neck said:

I expect mine to do various labouring work ,basic spannering electrical repairs ,answering fone ,just the usual

I've heard of that strain...weren't they called Plumber lurchers??.............I'll get my coat.

Like most of the other posts, I've occasionally used a previous lurcher to retrieve when a friend was shooting with an air rifle. He used to get excited every firework night as he kept expecting to be sent out for a retrieve. Daft sod.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, shaaark said:

Love seeing pics of this dog.  And, always in great nic.  Absolute little belter.

Remind us how he's bred please, mate.  ?

Thanks. Dam collie,whippet,bull,grey. Sire 3/4 whippet 1/4 beddy. He is still going well for me ?

30FA3F7D-75E0-4BE8-AD08-5594E337A5B9.png

• Like 12
10 hours ago, Sammyballer said:

Sounds interesting that mate , will it pile into one that’s not quiet dead? 

Yes but only on command. She'll sit under a high seat and watch deer for hours but if we are tracking a wounded one and it gets up in front of us I can ask her to pull it. The indicating is the best bit though, we can stalk through woods into the wind and she will scent deer and take me to them. She's pretty special, not the bravest or hardest dog but she seems to just know what im thinking. She's coming up to 12 now though and pretty much retired, I doubt I will have the same bond with another

• Like 16
54 minutes ago, Tyla said:

Yes but only on command. She'll sit under a high seat and watch deer for hours but if we are tracking a wounded one and it gets up in front of us I can ask her to pull it. The indicating is the best bit though, we can stalk through woods into the wind and she will scent deer and take me to them. She's pretty special, not the bravest or hardest dog but she seems to just know what im thinking. She's coming up to 12 now though and pretty much retired, I doubt I will have the same bond with another

Sounds a real clever bitch mate , It’s real hard when they get older , we all have that one special dog in our life time ! But you’ll be surprised when another dog comes along does things slightly different you never thought a dog would do 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, levigsp said:

I have dogs that do the same, and retrieve roe etc if they fall somewhere nasty.

What type are the dogs that retrieve roe ?

Ive had a dog that retrieved live fox, not something I really wanted ! ? ! But never roe.

Cheers.

• Haha 2
7 hours ago, chartpolski said:

What type are the dogs that retrieve roe ?

Ive had a dog that retrieved live fox, not something I really wanted ! ? ! But never roe.

Cheers.

Big strong brown buggers. This one was 10years old at the time.

Edited by levigsp
  • Like 11