Using lurchers for other jobs?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Levigsp,.. yes, I like to use a lurcher for as many different tasks, as I can,...possibly I am just a bit mean, and want my money's worth?    

Yes but only on command. She'll sit under a high seat and watch deer for hours but if we are tracking a wounded one and it gets up in front of us I can ask her to pull it. The indicating is the best b

?Never thought I would say it,. or even think in such a way,...but nowadays, I don't really care, if a dog is good at the job or not. Financially, my status has changed a bit,...not drastically,

Posted Images

On 23/03/2022 at 19:37, levigsp said:

As above anyone ever use their lurcher for any other work apart from catch dogs?

I used a couple of mine as gun dogs, and good they were two.

Hi Levigsp,.. yes, I like to use a lurcher for as many different tasks, as I can,...possibly I am just a bit mean, and want my money's worth?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 2
24 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

_K1A6807.jpg

_K1A6914 (2).jpg

160.JPG

043.JPG

PHL_7623.JPG

Great photos Phil, wished I had more  photos especially live catch photos. I also note that a lot of your dogs were heavily influenced by collie same as myself. 

Edited by levigsp
  • Like 1

I expect my dogs to do everything from catching lamping ferreting ratting working with the gun retrieving from water hunting up flushing game. Pretty much all that’s expected of working dogs in the field. 

• Like 2
On 23/03/2022 at 20:37, levigsp said:

Great photos Phil, wished I had more  photos especially live catch photos. I also note that a lot of your dogs were heavily influenced by collie same as myself. 

Hi , yes, I favour the herding based lurcher hybrids,.. I find them easy to school, and I understand their often curious mind set...?

I don't have many photos of my earlier Lurchers and Longdogs,...my own abysmal lack, of any PC Security cost me dear,...and its all over now..?

Life goes on though,...who needs the photos, when you have the memories, eh..?

Edited by OldPhil
  • Like 7

I quite like a lurcher to not be over friendly with strangers had a few that loved a sleeve for fun aswell. The young bitch i got loves a squirrel if she stands there looking ya can bet ya last penny theres one there somewhere. Lurchers are funny sort of dogs if they spend alot of time out and about not just hunted and packed away.

E1339C6C-F3B1-4A2C-8401-0DBD9736425C.jpeg

Edited by C.green
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, C.green said:

I quite like a lurcher to not be over friendly with strangers had a few that loved a sleeve for fun aswell. The young bitch i got loves a squirrel if she stands there looking ya can bet ya last penny theres one there somewhere. Lurchers are funny sort of dogs if they spend alot of time out and about not just hunted and packed away.

DE117B8D-658E-4B50-8833-1890E75EAEDD.jpeg

989B1B53-6AF2-4648-AA39-D40437C24247.jpeg

20220320_083541.jpg

• Like 4