On 01/04/2022 at 08:54, Aussie Whip said:

Good one. My mate had a jill he used to let out every afternoon and it would walk the 1acre boundary fence then get back in it's cage. I don't think I'd be that lucky. I did have an old hob that would do a warren, or blackberry patch thoroughly and get back in his carry box, I had to put him down at 9 due to cancer, I miss "Grim".

My first ferret was a big white and very affable hob called Sidney.

I'd come home from school and have various little games  with him.    A favourite involved stuffing bits of meat inside the uniforn of my brother's   Action Man . Thus ensued a scene from something like a budget Tarzan film as the ferret mauled the Action Man to death!

All good fun,  and often in the living room!  Which meant that an hour or so later Mum would return from work and sniff the air before declaring accusing " Kevin. You've had that blooming ferret in here again!"

Actually she liked the smell of ferrets. As do l, except for the smell of ones fed on ferret pellet type food.  There is something sickly about it.

Anyway Sidney's regular party piece involved a bit of clever timing. 

His cage was on a tiny patio by the living room .  He would initially ignore any food that  l placed in his cage and scuttle past me ,through the open patio doors  and into the living room.   A quick right turn into the hall would lead him to the kitchen and the cat's bowls! 

Having polished off any unguarded Whiskers and milk he would retrace his steps ,leap into his cage and enjoy his legitimate breakfast. 

During one kitchen raid he found the fridge door open and was apprehended by Mum in an  act of  larceny  involving a de-frosting chicken .

Edited by comanche
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I must confess, I like the smell of ferrets, especially on clean sawdust, and laying comfortably, in their soft straw bedding...  When I was in Secondary School, I always handled my ferrets befor

You could put an arch over the cages and grow jasmine but it will probably smell like jasmine cross ferret. The ferret smell doesn't bother me if they're cleaned often, their shit doesn't smell as bad

Personally i clean out there droppings every evening and completely clean out the hutch once a week and then also give it a hutch cleaner spray .  They have to work for a living , but are looked after

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, comanche said:

My first ferret was a big white and very affable hob called Sidney

They are characters, the more time you spend with, the more get out of them. I think they are pretty intelligent animals if given the chance. They are my favorite animal after dogs.

38 minutes ago, Guss33 said:

Haven’t seen old mate for a few days. Maybe he forgot to let go of the meat when he threw it in. What you see their is a led of a dear. But they do get fed a lot more then that. 

They look well fed Gus. Only mucking around mate, each to their own way as long as the animals are ok ?

• Like 1