Lurcher beats full greyhounds in race

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

? I've mostly kept jukels for the ferreting/netting job, and I try to keep the dogs nice and quiet, and well in control of their emotions... I rarely attend lurcher shows or Game Fairs, but at th

Mate had a heavily greyhound blooded lurcher that used to beat greyhounds regular at a flapping track. He was a fast lurcher that was beating slow greyhounds but would never of had a look in with dece

It’s amazing what folk will argue about on here. Also I personally think the man who took the 15/16th grey all over the country to beat bull xs and other Lurchers in the fun Lurcher racing at sho

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, OldPhil said:

Hi Sam, I am certainly no photographer...I have an ancient Nikon camera, and I just keep on clicking away,... living in hopes of a victory?

365.JPG

Cheers been thinking of getting a proper camera instead just using my phone ??

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Francie said:

A lurcher an a longdog are worlds apart ahaha a gift that keeps on giving

yes they are, course they are

1 hour ago, Astanley said:

Admittedly the waters can get a bit muddied ...but broadly speaking I have got to agree with the hamster ,in my mind there is a distinct difference betwixt  lurchers  and longdogs ,temperament ,performance and function ,,there are exceptions ,there are mixed up breedings and there are similarities (they are all running dogs after all )....having said that ,I don't know why I'm commenting on the subject because I really couldn't give less of a fuk about it .

?

36 minutes ago, SheepChaser said:

It’s amazing what folk will argue about on here.

Also I personally think the man who took the 15/16th grey all over the country to beat bull xs and other Lurchers in the fun Lurcher racing at shows was a bit of a sad human being.

Tin hat on ? 

theyre not fun shows anymore though are they; half the dogs at these shows dont work and are purely kept for showing and racing and to look at are greyhounds. 

is 15/16 greyhound really a lurcher ?, a collie in it 4 generations back - the collie is the dogs great, great graandparent ffs ?

• Like 1
40 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I agree entirely !

I was simply pointing out that all racers aren't longdogs.

Lurcher racing isn't fun these days, it's extremely competitive with some very lucrative money and prizes on offer, especially in the big Irish game fairs, and, just as in whippet and Greyhound racing, cheating rears its ugly head.

Cheers.

Whats worse is they still cheat for plastic cups and no money.

• Like 2

Lurcher/long dog it’s just splitting hairs… coursing dogs are mostly saluki x greyhound but there still called a lurcher by pretty much 99% of people… at then the end of the day, there all mongrols or cross breeds…. A purpose bred cross breed, but still a cross breed. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I had a whippet in the early 70's that had collie and Greyhound three generations back on his dams side, and Greyhound four generations back on his sires side, as can be seen on his pedigree, but was accepted by the B.W.R.A. as a "Whippet";

IMG_1229.PNG.37c9f02953d3546a25b4a9f4c30b62df.PNG

Was he a lurcher or a whippet ?

IMG_0109.JPG.d977f075b24526ba7f2bbc228ea814c0.JPG

To be honest, he caught as many hares as he won races, so it didn't worry me a hap'orth what he was classified as ! ?

Cheers.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, chartpolski said:

There's been non-ped whippets such as Memphis Belle and Loves Lockdown, that have beaten greyhounds and broken track records at Greyhound tracks, but to be fair, they have a fair bit of Greyhound in them and are almost as big as greyhounds. Also it's usually the sprint distance , 270-300 yards they win over, not the longer distances.

I remember matching a non-ped Whippet, Robbo, (Bilko x Frozen Kill ), against a Greyhound, over 150 yards on a whippet track and winning by about two yards. Emboldened, I was then suckered in to a return match over 270 yards at a Greyhound track for a far larger bet.

The Whippet led up to the first bend then the Greyhound took over and won easily! Ahh, well, I was young but soon learned ! ? !

There are whippets, lurchers and long dogs that have beaten greyhounds, but they are the exception rather than the rule, a good Greyhound will beat any other type of dog normally ?

Cheers.

that dog wouldn’t a won that race if that one in second hadn’t baulked first turn one a the fastest dogs i ever have seen was a deer grey it was unbelieveable but running that fast it couldn’t turn hare put about 500yds distance in. a turn and it would make it up like it was nothing just to do the same again lad tried to bare with it thinking it will learn but it was brain dead 

got to agree with moonlighter and tatsblisters...nobody had herd the term longdog till the books came out and it is just splitting hares really ..

also wasn't the word lurcher ...derived from the term "to lurch" it just meant the dog used it's brain and cut corners on a course against a hare...something that crossbred greyhounds learnt to do by there owners who poached for food on a regular basis...rather than the sporting gent who kept pure greys for competitive coursing...

to my mind whether it's grey cross deerhound or collie it's still a lurcher

• Like 8

as for lurchers winning greys...

some of you old hands on here may remember my old coursing bitch Visa her dam...was 5/8 greyhound...1/4 saluki..1/8 deerhound...owned by max off here...he raced her on the flappers a few times ...getting I think a couple of second place finishes ..

5 minutes ago, TOMO said:

got to agree with moonlighter and tatsblisters...nobody had herd the term longdog till the books came out and it is just splitting hares really ..

also wasn't the word lurcher ...derived from the term "to lurch" it just meant the dog used it's brain and cut corners on a course against a hare...something that crossbred greyhounds learnt to do by there owners who poached for food on a regular basis...rather than the sporting gent who kept pure greys for competitive coursing...

to my mind whether it's grey cross deerhound or collie it's still a lurcher

"Just splitting hares".........

I saw what you did there ! ?? !

As for the word "lurcher" I've heard the same thing as you, but also that the word comes from the same root as "lurk", as in "lurking around".

But who knows ? 

Cheers.

• Like 1