German Wire Haired Pointer x Lurcher

35 minutes ago, Cooke123 said:

Looks a good shape for a first cross that's what I'd like

I like his good strong legs & he has a better nose than one would expect. He's about 6 years old now & didn't have the best start in life.  After being beaten as a pup , he bolted & found himself in the dog pound .The breeder heard of his plight & after payee the pound fee ,asked if Id be keen on taking him on .I mentioned that I wasn't keen on taking on older dogs or covering the pound fee only to find out later he wasn't suitable .The breeder stressed that no moneys  needed to be passed on straight away ,I could take the dog for 3 months if he didn't work out all I needed to do was return the dog. Jett then aged 8 months old ,was quite hand shy at first but little by little he began to get better & showed enough talent for me to think he might be a better rabbiting lurcher given more time so I dually paid the fee. I was lucky enough to have at that time ,a high population of rabbits in the area that I worked so after plenty of work ,by 18 months old he really started to hit his straps & just got better & better from that point on . Jett has certainly earned his keep, gifting me a raft of joy & laughs over the years on our shared adventures.... without any bother what so ever . Jett has a nice calm nature & is a "easy" dog to own . Id like another just like him......

Edited by toolebox
  • Like 14
1 minute ago, toolebox said:

I like his good strong legs & he has a better nose than one would expect. He's about 6 years old now & didn't have the best start in life.  After being beaten as a pup , he bolted & found himself in the dog pound .The breeder heard of his plight & after payee the pound fee ,asked if Id be keen on taking him on .I mentioned that I wasn't keen on taking on older dogs or covering the pound fee only to find out later he wasn't suitable .The breeder stressed that no moneys  needed to be passed on straight away ,I could take the dog for 3 months if he didn't work out all I needed to do was return the dog. Jett then aged 8 months old ,was quite hand shy at first but little by little he began to get better & showed enough talent for me to think he might be a better rabbiting lurcher given more time so I dually paid the fee. I was lucky enough to have at that time ,a high population of rabbits in the area that I worked so after plenty of work ,by 18 months old he really started to hit his straps & just got better & better from that point on . Jett has certainly earned his keep, gifting me a raft of joy & laughs over the years on our shared adventures.... without any bother what so ever . Jett has a nice calm nature & is a "easy" dog to own . 

Great to hear, tempted by the litter I've seen. Working parents and 350 quid

3 hours ago, Cooke123 said:

Great to hear, tempted by the litter I've seen. Working parents and 350 quid

Few lads on her with half x and 3/4 crosses , was a lad who had a bull grey x pointer by all amounts was one he'll of a dog on fox , like anything there's going to be some dross in a litter but if you give it te time and work solent be much it couldn't turn its hand to ....or paw 

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Cooke123 said:

Anyone any experience of using them lamping, they got enough speed for rabbit?

Ask @Wales1234 he favours this X for hunting the hills,I would of thought he'd of lamped her as well..only ones I've personally seen run were 2  pointer X 3/8 5/8 greys from the same litter in the daytime...could find and despatch a fox anywhere ?

I’ve had a few over the years from 1st x to pointer x Lurcher too pointer x Lurcher I find the bit a far better but there no better on the nose too a beddy x or collie x I’ve still got 2 here now but my old beddy x was better imo

• Like 1

I’m probably going to go down this route as I want to try something different and I’m doing more hill work than lamping. I still want something fairly quick as I’ll be doing the odd bit of lamping too. If the right one comes along once my older lurcher has retired then I’ll be interested.