Starting again

Hi guys starting again after about 5 years, had a ring round and got a few places to try after the summer

I've got two ferrets that have been pets for me and the kids they've never seen a rabbit hole or a rabbit for that matter my only working one died last year these are about 4 should instinct kick in and they'll get the hang of it? 

Hard to say but give it a go just work on the small warrans and see how you go if no luck hunt around for a couple of new ferrets and break in and build a good crew. Stick around on this site as you will get a lot of good advice and gain some great ideas. 

• Like 3
32 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

They will work just fine, jist keeo grafting them an they will soon find there groove ?

And if they don’t tap them on the head and get something in from working stock ……

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

??Iv found most will switch on if given enough graft mate, aslong as no bad habits, but aye you can’t beat the genes of good grafters in your stock ?

Fair enough I would give them one Warren to prove their worth ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 11/03/2022 at 07:57, James broom 1994 said:

Hi guys starting again after about 5 years, had a ring round and got a few places to try after the summer

I've got two ferrets that have been pets for me and the kids they've never seen a rabbit hole or a rabbit for that matter my only working one died last year these are about 4 should instinct kick in and they'll get the hang of it? 

Only one way to find out take them out personally I would go and get a couple of good working ones of some one who does work there ferrets But all the best ? 

On 11/03/2022 at 07:57, James broom 1994 said:

Plus side is they should be well handled if they are already pets so shouldn't  be nervy round the burrow mouths   .

Minus side is that they may not really know what's expected of them if you wait until Autumn to show them a hole.

But you have all Summer to run em through a bit of drainpipe and and feed them on the odd  roadkill bunny so they  get some enthusiasm for the hunt.  A bit of rabbit pulled along on a string should amuse  the kids and the ferrets!

Having said that ;  l often don't work my replacement ferrets until an old favourite has died or been retired. 

Some are two or three years old, or older, before they see the inside of a burrow  . They may or may not faff about a bit at first but once they've  bolted a bunny they are usually fine. 

• Like 2

One of the best ferrets I’ve ever owned was a 3 year old Jill I got that had been living off cat food in a tiny cage in someone’s kitchen it’s entire life. She worked like an absolute demon from the first time I tried to the day she died. 20 years later her blood still runs through my line. I have also had older ferrets had no work for a variety of reasons that when eventually given their chance have worked very well. 

• Like 4
2 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

No so much a pet ? but we was out trapping a farm I got some drop boxes on, an they been closed for a few weeks an I went to open them up as I was going round setting traps an found a big ole hob polecat one a bad way in a drop box( that should have been locked like the others) with 9 dead rabbits, covered in ticks an in last hours of life by looks of him, I took him to my mates yard as that was closest place, we sprayed the poor fcuker with frontline an offered him some water an some meat, he took water but refused meat, I pondered panning him for a minute bit couldn’t haha an brought him home , he ain’t come out his sleep box for past 2 days an we ain’t disturbed him other than to remove the meat he ain’t ate, here’s a pic jist after I found him, an I’ll get some in a few days or so when he finally decides to show face. Looks like he here now unless he thinks he a lion when he fully recovered? but he will be grafted like the others I keep, so let’s see how it goes ?CF585F30-1941-4E32-A1C8-FC472FD48603.jpeg.d62804df0b184dbe15f769f316f258ab.jpeg

Had exactly the same scenario … let the fukcer go after five days ?

On 14/03/2022 at 20:58, W. Katchum said:

No so much a pet ? but we was out trapping a farm I got some drop boxes on, an they been closed for a few weeks an I went to open them up as I was going round setting traps an found a big ole hob polecat one a bad way in a drop box( that should have been locked like the others) with 9 dead rabbits, covered in ticks an in last hours of life by looks of him, I took him to my mates yard as that was closest place, we sprayed the poor fcuker with frontline an offered him some water an some meat, he took water but refused meat, I pondered panning him for a minute bit couldn’t haha an brought him home , he ain’t come out his sleep box for past 2 days an we ain’t disturbed him other than to remove the meat he ain’t ate, here’s a pic jist after I found him, an I’ll get some in a few days or so when he finally decides to show face. Looks like he here now unless he thinks he a lion when he fully recovered? but he will be grafted like the others I keep, so let’s see how it goes ?CF585F30-1941-4E32-A1C8-FC472FD48603.jpeg.d62804df0b184dbe15f769f316f258ab.jpeg

Be interesting to hear how you get on with him, keep us posted ?

• Like 1