Ferret acting strange

Hi I have 2 Jill’s and one of them seems more domesticated than the other even tho it works just as good or better. My polecat Jill has seemed to act strange since she has came into season, I let the ferrets out to run around and play every morning at 6:30 and I take them down the woods to sniff about etc I also take them out again at 4 when I get in but she has suddenly seemed to be upset trying to push her way out of the mesh with her head like she is trying to get out even tho they live in a decent 2 story hutch with plenty of tunnels etc she is just acting really strange and it’s not nice to see, is there anything I could do about it other than give them more exercise? Thanks  

could be shes in season and trying to get out dont know and ive never had or heard of this behaviour if she is in season try and get the use of a vasectomised hob or line her with a hob if you want kits it may take the edge off of her 

12 hours ago, Ethan gunn said:

Hi I have 2 Jill’s and one of them seems more domesticated than the other even tho it works just as good or better. My polecat Jill has seemed to act strange since she has came into season, I let the ferrets out to run around and play every morning at 6:30 and I take them down the woods to sniff about etc I also take them out again at 4 when I get in but she has suddenly seemed to be upset trying to push her way out of the mesh with her head like she is trying to get out even tho they live in a decent 2 story hutch with plenty of tunnels etc she is just acting really strange and it’s not nice to see, is there anything I could do about it other than give them more exercise? Thanks  

Could be hormonal, trying to get to a safe, private nesting area maybe ? Or could be PMS like the mrs used to get but she would try and push my head through walls, windows or whatever ?.

• Haha 3

Yeah she’s in season I was planning to get the jab because I have no hobs but even when I’ve let her out there the Sandy is just pottering around and the polecat in season is dashing it this has just started to happen since she came in 

2 hours ago, Ethan gunn said:

Yeah she’s in season I was planning to get the jab because I have no hobs but even when I’ve let her out there the Sandy is just pottering around and the polecat in season is dashing it this has just started to happen since she came in 

I think looking for a mate for sure. I had a Russell bitch chew through a chainwire fence to get to a male.

another vote for in season behaviour. I find it's common for a normally content Jill to be enthusiastic about getting out and away at this time of year. For example I let mine run in a small greenhouse for an hour or so each day, not a problem all this winter, they play the whole time. They,ve pretty much stopped playing and Last week I saw a Jill with her head stuck in a tiny gap in the top window vent trying to get out. Down to 10 mins now ? 

I've had some Jill's, when taken out of heat via a vasectomised hob, start to pull other Jill's in the same cage, back into the nest box .Once the other Jill has broken away or escaped out of the box ,she goes after it & begins the whole cycle again. The "nesting" Jill acts like they are her kits & is at the time full noise chattering.  

• Like 2
13 hours ago, toolebox said:

I've had some Jill's, when taken out of heat via a vasectomised hob, start to pull other Jill's in the same cage, back into the nest box .Once the other Jill has broken away or escaped out of the box ,she goes after it & begins the whole cycle again. The "nesting" Jill acts like they are her kits & is at the time full noise chattering.  

The Jills seem to get all mixed up this time of the year trying to dragging other Jills into the nest box to mother them even after they come out of season with the Jab.

My oldest Jill is on the way out I think she has got all doddery and not eating much same she's the best ferret I've every had and I've keep them for over 50 years. Never could get a litter out of her.

Cheers Arry