ime quite often asked how i manage to smoke my own meats and fish,some think theres a secret method and that it must be dificult to do or that an expensive smoker is needed.heres a fairly self explanitary diagram of my smoker.any questions just ask! by the way should you want cheap oak shavings pm me.

smoker.jpg

ime quite often asked how i manage to smoke my own meats and fish,some think theres a secret method and that it must be dificult to do or that an expensive smoker is needed.heres a fairly self explanitary diagram of my smoker.any questions just ask! by the way should you want cheap oak shavings pm me.

smoker.jpg

Hello fishfish. Great post. I'm building my smoker tomorrow. Just a couple of queries. How deep are the shavings and how long do you smoke bacon per 500 gms. Cheers. Greengrass3

ime glad ive helped some folks on here!

the shavings are about 1-3 inches deep, and a couple of hours should do for the smoking of bacon,you will need to fiddle with the heat abit,high to get it going,then turn round,if the smoke stops have a look inside,and push shavings that havent burned onto thehoter part,then re-cover.

could you guys post pics of yer set up? and maybe of yer goodies you have smoked!

hello mate, on the bottom of the can were the wood-chips are do you need to make holes or do you leave the bottom intact,,,,, also does the lid have to be airtight,,,,,

no holes in the bottom,just heat the chips through the metal,lid doesnt need to be air tight at all infact once the smoke is going well i generall only partially cover he top so as to let the heat out.this is pretty much a cold smoking method.if the lid is left on and the heat turned up it would cook whats in there.

as for tempuratures i have no idea.

I made mine out of stainless steel, the base is 50 by 50 cm and it is 120 cm high. Thats enough to smoke around 40 trout at a time. in two levels. If you smoke things, try not to get over 60C as the meat or fish will cook and dry out. Fish also have a tendency to drop of the wires if they get to hot.

Here a re a few pics of my set up.

Oven1.jpg

oven2.jpg

oven3.jpg

oven4.jpg

Have fun folks

ATB

Michael