What's the wild population like in your area ? Here in Hampshire they are very rare now, as a kid and young man every other Bush had a greenie or chaffinch nest in it. Now both are rare, goldfinch and bullfinch very very common.  Also only half the amount of linnet  about ( my favorite bird ) buntings and yellow hammer plentiful.  Very few starlings and not so many house sparrow.  Rakes of wood pigeon.  When I was young if a woodie landed you'd see a mass of kids run off for an air rifle or catapult, now they're on your bird table eating bread !!

• Like 2

How right you are bird catcher about the decline in green finch numbers, havent seen any for years, still see the occasional yellow wagtail, another bird that is fast declining round our way is the skylark, the moors used to be alive with curlews and lap wings, miss there haunting calls, whilst walking the high groundsin dead of winter, oystercatcher is another, sadly a sign of the times, with loss of habitat and predators, changing times indeed and not for the better.

• Like 1

Very rare i see a greenfinch these day's on my daily walks around the local woods in s.yorks and i would say the goldie and chaffinch are the most popular i see and often hear bullies piping. That winter watch on bbc said that the greenfinch was on the red list it was one of the commonest finches i remember seeing in the 70s around the parks and woods i grew up around in the late 60s and 70s.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, BEARINATOR said:

Goldies and bully’s all over here but never see or hear greenfinches, so got a pair for the aviary to watch and learn about them 

Never seen a bully here and I'm out in the countryside all day every day.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, gnipper said:

Never seen a bully here and I'm out in the countryside all day every day.

Only thing I like about moving to near the angel of the north is the wild bird life, if I get plenty of chicks between me and my pal I will send you some goldie and bullfinches mate as courier is cheap enough 

• Like 1

In the 1970s there were lots of bird catchers ( dabbers ) around these parts. You could buy a fresh caught Goldie for about £1 and Redpolls and Siskins for 50p but Greenfinches couldnt be given away because they were so common and greedy. Now you are lucky to see any at all.

• Like 3

At the moment I'd advice not to be putting any bird feeders up with the avian fluenza knocking about if you keep birds you don't want that on your door step. There's a few places over here in Yorkshire that have been rit off by the bird flu specially east yorkshire area. Great picture that tho that green hen looks a belta on the middle feeder on the right hand side all look in could fettle. It's a shame that they carry a killer disease too. 

• Like 1